Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot get @ntlworld.com POP mail

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Cannot get @ntlworld.com POP mail

Old 14-10-2019, 10:24   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Question Cannot get @ntlworld.com POP mail

I cannot get @ntlworld.com POP mail, have the settings (POP3 settings change?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2019, 12:40   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Cannot get @ntlworld.com POP mail

I'm still getting mail through OK from my @ntlworld.com addy. Most recent was 10:57 this morning. Thunderbird client and POP. Some kind of local problem?
Old 14-10-2019, 13:14   #3
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I cannot get @ntlworld.com POP mail, have the settings (POP3 settings change?
If your client will accept it, why not use IMAP? That way you can gather your mail on more than one device.

What client do you use?

http://www.networksolutions.com/supp...op-and-imap-2/

My mail is configured via IMAP. No problems today.

Last edited by roughbeast; 14-10-2019 at 13:20.
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 13:58   #4
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
If your client will accept it, why not use IMAP? That way you can gather your mail on more than one device.

What client do you use?

The mail app in Windows 10 which is very basic but suits my needs set to POP mail
Old 14-10-2019, 14:01   #5
kev445
cf.member

kev445 is on a distinguished roadkev445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post

What client do you use?

POP3 stores your e-mails locally, IMAP leaves them on the server.
IMAP is putting your trust in your mail provider.

Last edited by kev445; 14-10-2019 at 14:02. Reason: Added quote
kev445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 14:04   #6
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev445 View Post
Don't use an ISP supplied email service if trust is important.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 14:07   #7
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Hope fully I can get my emails.

What client do you suggest for IMAP?

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

Quote:
The mail app in Windows 10 which is very basic but suits my needs set to POP mail

The link http://www.networksolutions.com/supp...op-and-imap-2/
dose not work.
Old 14-10-2019, 14:15   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Interestingly I have noted that even using POP the e-mails stay on the server for about 10 days and then get deleted. You can still download them on multiple devices using POP. I think this is some kind of anomalous behaviour by VM's servers. IIRC there was a kludge that you could use with POP that removed them from the server after one download

Thunderbird supports IMAP.

Last edited by heero_yuy; 14-10-2019 at 14:16. Reason: Thunderbird info
heero_yuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 15:34   #9
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Don't use an ISP supplied email service if trust is important.
Has never let me down.
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 15:48   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
For the record, I use POP for NTL, but it still keeps a copy of every email on the server (not just for 10 days as mentioned above).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 19:41   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Hope fully I can get my emails.

What client do you suggest for IMAP
the windows mail client will support imap, you just need to select the correct options and incidentally you can also retrieve your ntl address email by using the virginmedia.com mail servers.

pop3.virginmedia.com
smtp.virginmedia.com
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 21:49   #12
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Interestingly I have noted that even using POP the e-mails stay on the server for about 10 days and then get deleted. You can still download them on multiple devices using POP. I think this is some kind of anomalous behaviour by VM's servers. IIRC there was a kludge that you could use with POP that removed them from the server after one download

Thunderbird supports IMAP.
Emails don’t get deleted from the server, VM have never solved this issue; I use Outlook and have to log on and delete emails from the server
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 16:30   #13
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them

All I can add is that since I set up my ntlworld.com account with Mozilla Thunderbird on my new PC last December, all has gone perfect - not a single hiccup in a great number of mails. I even get notification pop-ups for new mails from the Windows Mail icon on my taskbar. Last mail - yesterday.