Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I Player error 02050

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is it still difficult to leave Virgin Media?

Old 28-12-2023, 14:31   #1
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Is it still difficult to leave Virgin Media?

After 20 years, I have decided to leave Virgin Media and have signed up with Sky and I think I need to give 30 days notice to leave Virgin Media.

I recall that Ofcom got involved over VM making it very difficult for customers to leave, whether it be online or over the telephone. Is this still the case? It would be good to know as I will be making the cancellation call next week.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2023, 15:21   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Is it still difficult to leave Virgin Media?

I've never found it difficult as such, whenever Ive wanted to cancel something its ultimately been done.
They will usually try and talk you out of it with offers and discounts, you just have to be insistant and stick to your request.
My Mum cancelled her phone line the other week, similar story.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 15:59   #3
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I left after more than 25 years last summer. Went to Sky for all services. Cancelled over the phone when my contract was up and insisted on having the termination in writing, which they promptly provided. I was out. VM made one attempt in the thirty days to get me to reconsider but I already had Sky Stream and Broadband working by then and I told them they were wasting their time and mine.
You have to be firm and clear. The OFCOM investigation will probably work in your favour, too
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 16:39   #4
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Left in September giving notice on the WhatsApp chat. No problems a couple of poor retention offers and I didn’t get the usual call back but hey ho.

Using 5G for broadband at the minute and it’s pretty good.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 14:52   #5
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Thank for you the replies.

Will I get any form of email confirmation that I have given notice and would I be able to see any evidence of this on my account?
Old 29-12-2023, 15:35   #6
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I did get a “disconnecting your Virgin Media services” email confirming my last date exactly a month later etc.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 15:36   #7
nialli
cf.geek

nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I got a confirmation email from disconnections@account.virginmedia.co.uk thirty days before my departure date. It all went smoothly from there - on the day of termination I got an email asking me to prepare my V6 boxes and SH4 for collection, which happened a fortnight later. I'd heard horror stories, particularly on VM's own customer Boards, but I can't complain how it worked out for me. Good luck!
Old 30-12-2023, 14:53   #8
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Thank you. And did these disconnection confirmation emails appear automatically, and did they appear immediately?
Old 15-01-2024, 13:59   #9
Rillington
cf.mega poster

I have now given notice. The call handler accepted my reasons and did not try to dissuade me, which I appreciated. It was done in 10-15 minutes and the email confirmation of the disconnection followed around 30 minutes later.
Old 15-01-2024, 20:03   #10
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
I have now given notice. The call handler accepted my reasons and did not try to dissuade me, which I appreciated. It was done in 10-15 minutes and the email confirmation of the disconnection followed around 30 minutes later.
They'll be ringing you, they hate to say goodbye
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 09:17   #11
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

It's not that difficult, it depends who you talk to.

For example my Dad is moving house and was mid contract. He was told he would need to pay to come out of contract.

Phoned up a day later and a much better response....they realised he can't get Virgin Services where he is moving to and if they cant provide service then you can cancel without incurring fees.

So it depends who you get through to.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 15:46   #12
Rillington
cf.mega poster

It shouldn't be like that but it often is. Maybe I got lucky...
Old 22-01-2024, 11:04   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
It's not that difficult, it depends who you talk to.

For example my Dad is moving house and was mid contract. He was told he would need to pay to come out of contract.

Phoned up a day later and a much better response....they realised he can't get Virgin Services where he is moving to and if they cant provide service then you can cancel without incurring fees.

So it depends who you get through to.
Apparently the way they work it is that they charge people a cancellation fee and then refund it when they've made you jump through hoops and finally accept that they can't provide a service at the new address.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 13:31   #14
Rillington
cf.mega poster

They seem to make you wait a month, possibly longer, to receive money VM owes to when you leave as several weeks have passed since the VM service was switched off. I was told that you will not get any money owed via BACS transfer for 28 days, although I'm not sure whether this is 28 calendar days or 28 working days.

The cynic in me tells me they do this to pocket the interest and also to try to get you to call back maybe so that they can try to get you to return but I see no justifiable why VM takes 28, possibly 42 days, days to return money owed to you after you leave them.

As Mr K said, they seem to hate to say goodbye.

Last edited by Rillington; 23-02-2024 at 13:44.
Old 23-02-2024, 18:15   #15
nialli
cf.geek

Their own administration systems are every bit as as inefficient and clunky as you’d fear