Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mac messing up my networking!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mac messing up my networking!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:26   #1
Alanmelon
Inactive

Alanmelon has reached the bronze age
Alanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Alanmelon
Mac messing up my networking!

I'm running a wireless home network on a 2wire router/modem. The connections include a primary desktop PC (wired), 2nd desktop PC (wireless), laptop PC (wireless), XBox 360 (wireless) and Mac iBook (wireless).

Everything works fine when using the Windows based systems/XBox but when the Mac is introduced into the mix, the whole thing goes flaky. The Mac seems to retain it's connection but the other wireless connections keep dropping intermittently. On attempting connection I keep getting the Limited or No Connectivity dialogue, it all seems to fail when attempting to assign IP address.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how to fix it?
Alanmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2006, 17:42   #2
Alanmelon
Inactive

Alanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze age
Re: Mac messing up my networking!

I'll take that as a no then excuse the bump
Old 08-10-2006, 17:44   #3
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Umm Your Mac isn't running a DHCP server of its own is it? Or something silly
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 17:46   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

What router?
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 17:47   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It's impossible to say without being able to see all the settings in your Mac's System Prefs, although if the Mac is staying connected and the MS stuff is dropping it, I'd prefer to think there was something wrong in one or more of the other machines that is tolerable only so long as only Microsoft systems are attempting to connect.

What are the DHCP settings in your router?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 17:15   #6
Alanmelon
Inactive

Thanks for the replies

I know very little about DHCP, but these are the settings on the mac:

Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.67
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

And on my router DHCP settings, I have;
192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.0 (default) checked and all the addresses seem to match up.

As I say, its an intermittent problem. Is there any specific info I can provide which may help troubleshoot?

The modem is a 2wire 1800HG.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:42   #7
Alanmelon
Inactive

Just as another bump, I'm still experiencing the same problems as above. I've tried eveything I can think of. After a recent reformat of my PC laptop, I've installed the latest wireless drivers, but the problem is just as bad. Whenever the iBook is on my laptop and even 360 wifi connections keep dropping. They fail on reconnection as they cannot acquire an IP address. As soon as the mac is off, all is well. The puzzler is that sometimes they can all work, but more often than not there's a problem.

Any new ideas I can try?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:57   #8
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Can you borrow a mate's router?

The only thing I can think of is that the Mac is trying to create a ad-hoc network which is confusing the PCs. How or why, I don't know.

Do the wireless PCs work fine when you use the Mac via ethernet?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:00   #9
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Very odd, as Zeph suggests it sounds like there's another DHCP service floating about on your network. Can you see where you're getting your dynamic IP address from on the mac?

Go into terminal and issue this command:

ipconfig getpacket en1

then check the value of the "server_identifier (ip)" parameter
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:10   #10
Alanmelon
Inactive

I've got that server_identifier....what will that tell me, and what am I looking for?

Just had a look at the network settings on the mac - under the TCP/IP tab Configure IPv4 has 'Using DHCP' selected. Also at the bottom an IPv6 address is listed - this is set to automatic. Should I disable this?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:14   #11
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanmelon View Post
I've got that server_identifier....what will that tell me, and what am I looking for?
it'll tell you which dhcp server is allocating the ip address to your mac. This should of course be the address of your router.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:26   #12
Alanmelon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
it'll tell you which dhcp server is allocating the ip address to your mac. This should of course be the address of your router.
yep, I can confirm that they match.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:36   #13
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Sorry, I just re-read your original post and it's just your wireless clients dropping connection. I'm wondering if this is some sort of RF/Crosstalk issue where your mac is basically blatting out the radio signal to your other clients. Have you tried shifting your Mac into another room away from the router and your PCs and running it like that for a while?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:49   #14
Alanmelon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Sorry, I just re-read your original post and it's just your wireless clients dropping connection. I'm wondering if this is some sort of RF/Crosstalk issue where your mac is basically blatting out the radio signal to your other clients. Have you tried shifting your Mac into another room away from the router and your PCs and running it like that for a while?
It does sound like thats the most likely answer. I think it seems that the problem is worse when the PC laptop is closer to the mac. The mac, PC and 360 are all in the same room.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:22   #15
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

whats the ip addresses for all the devices that are connected to the router, what I think it is myself is that something has the same IP address as the MAC and thats why you are getting these issues.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote