Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help on wireless router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help on wireless router

Old 04-11-2007, 23:18   #1
BigChiz
Inactive

BigChiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Help on wireless router

I've got a wireless router hooked up to my PC & Xbox 360 through wires & my laptop through wireless. My router is in the front room with the PC & I mainly have my laptop in the back bedroom. The 360 & PC always seem to be ok & my laptop connects fine. But every 20 minutes or so the connection goes & I have to restart my laptop to get the 'net back. And it's the same with my brother's & Mum's laptops. Surely the problem lays with the router as all the laptops are brand new near enough. The router is an old one which I had to buy the aerial for as the mate I bought it off had lost it. The router I'm using is this Safecom SWBR 5400. Like I said the internet connection to the router is fine, it's the wireless connection to the laptop that keeps disconnecting. Someone said the problem might be in the laptops - they are probably timing out - in which case you can adjust the settings to stop this from happening. I'm on Vista & don't know how to do this though. If that doesn't work I'm thinking about buying a new router to sort the problem. I'm trying to find a reasonable priced one & need to know of any brands to go for/avoid. I've been recommended this & also this one, any suggestions anyone?

Also anyone with a Xbox 360, have any of you got a wireless adapter? I'm also thinking of buying one of them rather than have a cable going up the stairs. So are they worth buying & what are the signals like?
BigChiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2007, 03:41   #2
BigChiz
Inactive

BigChiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help on wireless router

Will updating the firmware fix it? If not can someone recommend a decent router for about £40?
BigChiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:27   #3
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of
Re: Help on wireless router

If you do get a new router, this is the one to go for, lots of recommendations from people on these forums, and it's the one I have, never had any problems what so ever with it:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/pro...T54GSUK/250537

Order it from the website and use the collect @ store and you pay the web price, and save delivery!
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote