Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 22-04-2015, 16:12   #1621
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Netflix wants to own its original shows

Link

Netflix confirms Daredevil season two

Link
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2015, 19:29   #1622
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Netflix must know who you are to verify you've paid. I do believe they could prevent access to different locations if they wanted to.

However, I do understand that it is being made clear in their revised terms and conditions that watching their material in other jurisdictions will be prohibited. I think a crackdown is imminent.
I could be traveling and in said country, Netflix don't have a draconian t&c that says you can only watch the service you pay while you are in your country of residence. This is a service that follows you around, also note they have no silly artificial limit on the number of devices you can install the software on, you are just limited by the number of streams you pay for.
Old 23-04-2015, 12:37   #1623
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
You seem to keep saying this, and, to me, it seems to have a hint of wishful thinking on your part.

We get that you disapprove of these things and don't use them and that's fair enough, but you've made your point.
You misunderstand me, I'm just commenting on what may be happening.

I don't care one way or the other, frankly, I just find it difficult to understand why when there is a perfectly straight forward solution, streaming companies don't just apply it.

However, not my problem
Old 23-04-2015, 12:54   #1624
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I just find it difficult to understand why when there is a perfectly straight forward solution, streaming companies don't just apply it.
Presumably because they don't want to.

And it's up to the individual to interpret the broader meaning of that.
Old 23-04-2015, 13:02   #1625
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Presumably because they don't want to.

And it's up to the individual to interpret the broader meaning of that.
This is the position of HBO, for your information.

http://advanced-television.com/2015/...for-vpn-users/

HBO is threatening to cut off paying customers of its HBO Now streaming service if they are outside the US. The premium broadcaster has sent emails to people around the world it has detected are using software tools to access HBO Now.

HBO said it took the action because it only has the right to broadcast shows in the US and people living in the country. Email messages were sent to people in Canada, the UK, Germany and Australia, according to tech site Torrent Freak.

HBO Now allows viewers in the US to watch HBO’s programmes without the need to have a subscription to a television or cable service at a costs of $14.99 a month.

However, many people living in other countries have subscribed to HBO Now and used a variety of tools, including virtual private networks (VPNs), to get around the restrictions designed to stop people outside the US seeing popular shows such as Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley.

The messages from HBO warn them that they will be cut off if they do not contact HBO and satisfy them that they are eligible to watch the service. Those who do not contact HBO will be cut off without further notice, said the company.
Old 23-04-2015, 14:10   #1626
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

HBO is threatening to cut off paying customers of its HBO Now streaming service if they are outside the US. The premium broadcaster has sent emails to people around the world it has detected are using software tools to access HBO Now.

HBO said it took the action because it only has the right to broadcast shows in the US and people living in the country. Email messages were sent to people in Canada, the UK, Germany and Australia, according to tech site Torrent Freak.

HBO Now allows viewers in the US to watch HBO’s programmes without the need to have a subscription to a television or cable service at a costs of $14.99 a month.

However, many people living in other countries have subscribed to HBO Now and used a variety of tools, including virtual private networks (VPNs), to get around the restrictions designed to stop people outside the US seeing popular shows such as Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley.

The messages from HBO warn them that they will be cut off if they do not contact HBO and satisfy them that they are eligible to watch the service. Those who do not contact HBO will be cut off without further notice, said the company.
Premier league pass have been doing this all year guess what? People find a way around it. If people want the content they will get it one way or another imo HBO would be better just accepting that people will use their service outside the US and pay the $14.99 if hbo play silly buggers people will just use torrents guess who loses out?
Old 23-04-2015, 14:18   #1627
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

But that is not the position of Netflix. Were you constraining the discussion to HBO only? Previously you have been talking about Netflix.
Old 24-04-2015, 07:25   #1628
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

X-Files streaming in HD on Netflix - well, half the first series anyway:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/04/net...source=mainrss
Old 24-04-2015, 08:15   #1629
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
But that is not the position of Netflix. Were you constraining the discussion to HBO only? Previously you have been talking about Netflix.
No, PB, I was clearly just referring to HBO here, but of course the more general debate is about why streaming companies don't exercise control.

As I said, I'm not concerned as it doesn't affect me, I'm just commenting generally. If the streaming company can verify that you've paid your subscription, clearly they know where you live!
Old 24-04-2015, 09:34   #1630
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
No, PB, I was clearly just referring to HBO here,

So why were you talking about Netflix only a few posts ago?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post1615.html
Old 24-04-2015, 13:45   #1631
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So why were you talking about Netflix only a few posts ago?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post1615.html
This thread is not restricted to discussion about Netflix. HBO is also a streaming service. Both currently tolerate vpn access. HBO has decided to do something about it. I am sure Netflix will, in fact, follow their lead.

Having told you that I thought a crackdown by Netflix was imminent, I provided you with a report that said HBO were doing just that.

I'm not sure exactly the purpose of your post, passingbat, but if I have not grasped the point you were trying to make, I apologise.
Old 24-04-2015, 13:56   #1632
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

Having told you that I thought a crackdown by Netflix was imminent, I provided you with a report that said HBO were doing just that.

But it is clearly obvious that HBO and Netflix have different views on VPNs. So why use HBO's action to illustrate what you think Netflix will do?
Old 24-04-2015, 14:44   #1633
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
But it is clearly obvious that HBO and Netflix have different views on VPNs. So why use HBO's action to illustrate what you think Netflix will do?
It is a loose correlation, but there is a link. Netflix have drafted revised terms and conditions preventing such access.

As I said, it's just a matter of time. There are rights issues here and the only amazing thing about all of this is that it is taking so long for those rights to be enforced.

However, in the medium term, perhaps we can look forward to world wide rights being the new norm, which will prevent all of this nonsense.
Old 24-04-2015, 15:08   #1634
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

I can appreciate why you think its nonsense but there are some (possibly good) reason to have delay in releases to world wide, for example rights of what can/cannot be shown (e.g. amount of violence) is different from country to country
Old 24-04-2015, 15:20   #1635
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
It is a loose correlation, but there is a link. Netflix have drafted revised terms and conditions preventing such access.

As I said, it's just a matter of time. There are rights issues here and the only amazing thing about all of this is that it is taking so long for those rights to be enforced.

However, in the medium term, perhaps we can look forward to world wide rights being the new norm, which will prevent all of this nonsense.
World wide rights or not i will still use a vpn to protect my data and my pc.
VPNs are used for more than just gaining content from other regions, a lot of businesses use them as a extra layer of security.
Closed Thread