Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Snow !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Snow !

Old 27-12-2010, 20:41   #2041
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Snow !

Since when have you moved next to the one in the states that has had all that snow

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I get all the info on the airport from my own eyes, l live near there,

Quote:
They might have problems in the states, but l bet anyone, that they will be operating within hours, NOT days or weeks.
Quote:
I get all the info on the airport from my own eyes, l live near there,
Since when have you moved next to the one in the states that has had all that snow

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-12-2010, 20:53   #2042
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

That's funny - I was thinking the exact same thing....must have excellent eyesight to see all the way to Newark...
Old 27-12-2010, 22:00   #2043
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I eat plenty of carrots, l mean l live near Heathrow, they had problems that lasted several days, and we had trouble clearing our roads etc, an yet the Americans will be up and running within hours.

I like the bit on Sky, where was a an cleaner clearing the pavement of snow using a machine - l hope councils were watching.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 23:11   #2044
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
I eat plenty of carrots, l mean l live near Heathrow, they had problems that lasted several days, and we had trouble clearing our roads etc, an yet the Americans will be up and running within hours.

I like the bit on Sky, where was a an cleaner clearing the pavement of snow using a machine - l hope councils were watching.

The problem is though arthur if the councils invest in the machinery to do this then up goes the council tax but i'm sure you will be fine with that .You would be the first to rant about about councils having redundant machinery lying around costing money when the council tax goes up
Old 28-12-2010, 06:23   #2045
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
They might have problems in the states, but l bet anyone, that they will be operating within hours, NOT days or weeks.
The latest news states it may take a week or more to clear the backlog in the states.

Did you miss the bit were they said South Carolina had been hit by snow for the first time in over 100 years, how prepared do you think that state is to clear snow.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 09:37   #2046
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:

Looking at the news the Americans are up and running

Quote:
Airports have reopened in the north-eastern US after blizzards caused some 7,000 flights to be cancelled over the busy post-Christmas travel period.

Services have now resumed into and out of New York, Boston and Philadelphia.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12084646

Old 28-12-2010, 09:49   #2047
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
you should have had a few quid on that bet -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-inches.html
Old 28-12-2010, 12:17   #2048
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

That's what irritates me about the UK. As I understand it, New York is no more likely to have snow than we are, but they are able to cope with several feet, while London struggles with a couple of inches.

Take my own experiences on that day if heavy snowfall, OK we *did* have the heaviest snowfall for 25 years, so I did expect trouble getting home. On reflection, I should have walked, but I made the mistake of believing the lies being peddled by the various transport company websites, and the national rail call centre.

I live in Greater London. 13 miles from the centre of London. On that first day, we lost all public transport to our town. Our station was closed due to a tree falling on the line (although oddly National Rail insisted it was open but suffering delays of up to half an hour). TFL stated we had a bus service running with delays, although the hour and a half I spent waiting at East Croydon (which is a major transport hub) without seeing one bus suggests otherwise.

The next day, the local rail station was still closed, but at least the national rail website was now saying it was closed.

Ultimately, our bus service was down for 48 hours. The train service was down for nearly a week (they actually restarted the service on the Monday after the Tuesday we had the snow). During that week, we had no indication of when (or even if) the station would re-open.

I'd still like to know why it took National Rail nearly a week to clear a fallen tree.

The worst part, however, was that the companies involved didn't seem to be giving their own staff any info, so the staff directed passengers to the various websites. This would have been a good thing, had the websites had the correct info.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 12:31   #2049
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
That's what irritates me about the UK....snippety snip.
Although i feel the problem isn't a clear cut as simply buying new improved plant to deal with the snow ,i do agree that all of the transport companies affected could have done much better in communicating with users ,and that doesn't cost much extra if anything .I believe (listening to reports)one of the big problems was passengers turning up at airports ,stations ect simply because they wanted information but could not get it any other way other than trying to get it from the source i.e talking to someone at the airport or station

As my headmaster used to say ..must try harder
Old 28-12-2010, 12:32   #2050
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

You see this is what makes me luagh, this country 'claims' it has lost millions of pounds due to the bad weather, and yet if they had invested in proper stuff to sort these conditions out, then this would not have happened.

Gatwick invested in proper machinery and survived and yet Heathrow, was stuffed.

The UK is far behind other countries in everything we do.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 12:38   #2051
martyh

Quote:
You see this is what makes me luagh, this country 'claims' it has lost millions of pounds due to the bad weather, and yet if they had invested in proper stuff to sort these conditions out, then this would not have happened.

Gatwick invested in proper machinery and survived and yet Heathrow, was stuffed.

i thought gatwick closed ?

How much should the airports/local authorities spend then arthur and how much should the airport fees and council tax go up then
Old 28-12-2010, 12:42   #2052
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
i thought gatwick closed ?

How much should the airports/local authorities spend then arthur and how much should the airport fees and council tax go up then
Gatwick closed for a shorter time than Heathrow..and got far more of their flights up and running.
Old 28-12-2010, 12:57   #2053
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Although i feel the problem isn't a clear cut as simply buying new improved plant to deal with the snow ,i do agree that all of the transport companies affected could have done much better in communicating with users ,and that doesn't cost much extra if anything .I believe (listening to reports)one of the big problems was passengers turning up at airports ,stations ect simply because they wanted information but could not get it any other way other than trying to get it from the source i.e talking to someone at the airport or station

As my headmaster used to say ..must try harder
That's the thing. If just one of the companies concerned had been honest and admitted that they couldn't run a service to the town were I live and they didn't know when they would be able to, instead of saying there would be a bus or train along soon, I would have walked and got home a lot more quickly than I did.

I don't expect our transport not to be affected by the weather. To expect that is unreasonable. I do, however, expect it to recover quickly (which hasn't happened) and I do expect them to not lie to us.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 13:20   #2054
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
You see this is what makes me laugh, this country 'claims' it has lost millions of pounds due to the bad weather, and yet if they had invested in proper stuff to sort these conditions out, then this would not have happened.

Hang on there fella

The airports are privately run are they not. If they are privately run then the company that runs them should buy the kit.

So if you want to blame the Government blame the previous Government that had been in charge for the last 10 years or more not the Goverment that has been in power less than a year, However i think you will find you need to blame the companies running the Ruddy airports.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Quote:

Then leave and go to a country that you think is better.

As for blame we should be looking at companies running the trains and asking them WHY they do not have the kit to clear up the snow. They make enough money out of us so they should invest some of it to keep there service running.

Old 28-12-2010, 13:41   #2055
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I think a lot of it is down to it being Xmas. and the workers and even employers having a slack and lazy attitude towards the work that needs doing.

they think that it's acceptable, and it actually is that not a lot gets done over Xmas. especially when snow is concerned.

a bit of snow has everyone wondering if they'll be going home early that day.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote