Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dynamode Router advice sought

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Setting Up hardwire and Wireless network

Old 24-11-2008, 19:07   #1
sean1963
Inactive

sean1963 is an unknown quantity at this point
Setting Up hardwire and Wireless network

I'm not particuarly knowledgeable with computers. I intend to set up a wireless system to my current hardwired desktop. I need advice on whether the router will suffice and where to position the router. This is the layout -
I have an NTL / Virgin cable installation. In the living room are a Virgin cable and Ethernet point. Individual lines from both go to the router. The cable line prior to going to the router meets a splitter with a second line from this going to the TV set top box.

On the outside of the house both the ethernet and cable lines go to an NTL/ Virgin Box. From this , again on the outside of the house goes a phone line and Ethernet line to the upstairs office. This is where my computer is linked up by the ethernet.

I have upgraded to the Virgin 20MB deal and they have sent me 2 Netgear wireless G routers.
can anyone tell me where this should be positioned to seve 2 x wireless laptops I intend to buy and will it be sufficient for my needs (3 storey house).
sean1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2008, 19:53   #2
Bri_G
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP 20Mb bb V+ Talk Unlimited
Bri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the rough
Re: Setting Up hardwire and Wireless network

I would place the router in your office upstairs, connect the ethernet cable that comes up from downstairs into the WAN port. I assume it connects into your cable modem downstairs?

Connect the upstairs pooter into one of the LAN ports.

You should get whole house wireless coverage from up there.

Let us know how you get on.
Bri_G is offline   Reply With Quote