Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2020, 08:13   #841
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Tesco have sent shareholders (and I assume customers) an email- the jist of which is:

All Tesco stores to start closing at 10pm- no more 24 hour opening.

All Fish/salad/meat/deli counters closed until further notice.

Online customers who can are to be asked to shop instore to free up online delivery slots for elderly/disabled/vulnerable people.

Rationing introduced on goods. Customers will be asked to buy only what they need and max of three items on every grocery item.

Distancing measures to be introduced at checkouts. Customers to be asked to pay by card if they can.

Mon, Wed, Fri 9am to 10am instore will be reserved for elderly/disabled/vulnerable customers.

All multibuy offers immediately cancelled.

So I don't know why you were refused those three items??

---------- Post added at 03:11 ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 ----------

It's now been on the news that 20,000 army personnel are on standby. It was said that they are going to assist the police and will shortly be taking over the guarding of no 10.

The PM looked tired, stressed and confused at todays briefing- it must be a tremendous burden having this responsibility on his mind, so he probably isn't sleeping.

As he will obviously be taking advice from experts, we are now effectively in a wartime situation, party political dogma has been ripped up and opposition parties have dropped rivalries in an effort to help as much as they can I think that it might now be an idea to form a coalition government of solidarity.
I have no doubt that Boris has his best biro poised over the Civil Contingencies Act as we speak. There is obviously a risk that critical services are going to run short of personnel if too many people are off sick at once. What is obviously fanciful is the idea that the army is flying front line combat hardware into civilian airports, or using heavy lift helicopters to drop personnel or equipment off in our cities. This isn’t Kandahar. They can just use the motorways.
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2020, 08:25   #842
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
<SNIP>

As he will obviously be taking advice from experts, we are now effectively in a wartime situation, party political dogma has been ripped up and opposition parties have dropped rivalries in an effort to help as much as they can I think that it might now be an idea to form a coalition government of solidarity.
I'm astonished at your suggestion. Have you really thought this through?

We have a parliament of national unity at the moment and a Labour leadership/party with vitriolic hate of the governing party and its leadership. There is absolutely no need for a coalition government.

It is a pity that you came up with this ludicrous suggestion because I know you want to be taken seriously.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 19-03-2020, 09:01   #843
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I have no doubt that Boris has his best biro poised over the Civil Contingencies Act as we speak. There is obviously a risk that critical services are going to run short of personnel if too many people are off sick at once. What is obviously fanciful is the idea that the army is flying front line combat hardware into civilian airports, or using heavy lift helicopters to drop personnel or equipment off in our cities. This isn’t Kandahar.. They can just use the motorways.
Nitshill (in Glasgow) used to be described as "Beirut without the sunshine’*

*(late 70s/early 80s when the Lebanese Civil War was happening)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 19-03-2020, 11:09   #844
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'm astonished at your suggestion. Have you really thought this through?

We have a parliament of national unity at the moment and a Labour leadership/party with vitriolic hate of the governing party and its leadership. There is absolutely no need for a coalition government.

It is a pity that you came up with this ludicrous suggestion because I know you want to be taken seriously.

Boris has almost turned the country into a communist dictatorship overnight and McDonnell is still complaining he should just nationalise everything. The only thing stopping me from freaking out is the belief Boris will at least try to put things back to normal after this is over.
Old 19-03-2020, 11:17   #845
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Boris has almost turned the country into a communist dictatorship overnight and McDonnell is still complaining he should just nationalise everything. The only thing stopping me from freaking out is the belief Boris will at least try to put things back to normal after this is over.
People are openly flouting government advice thinking 'it won't happen to them' (see people celebrating St. Patricks day in pubs as an example) and they're either to thick to realise or don't care about the potential consequences of their actions on others.

I'm no Boris fan, but what do you expect him to do?
Old 19-03-2020, 11:17   #846
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

It seems lockdown in London is pretty inevitable now within days as its highly likely the supermarkets there will have Police support as well given the great gravity of the crisis.
Old 19-03-2020, 11:22   #847
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
People are openly flouting government advice thinking 'it won't happen to them' (see people celebrating St. Patricks day in pubs as an example) and they're either to thick to realise or don't care about the potential consequences of their actions on others.

I'm no Boris fan, but what do you expect him to do?
I'm not disputing this is necessary, but governments have a habit of being slow to return power (a la WWII). A labour government would be inclined to be far slower.
Old 19-03-2020, 11:41   #848
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
I'm not disputing this is necessary, but governments have a habit of being slow to return power (a la WWII). A labour government would be inclined to be far slower.

So, if it's necessary we implement it and then we have to deal with the consequences later.

This is the reality in which we are living

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

and here is why it's necessary

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/19/toile...-6am-12421784/
Old 19-03-2020, 11:48   #849
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

This made me chuckle...

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...SbsX2T5t_J1pNE
Quote:
Waitrose limits food sales to people with detached houses

ANYONE who does not live in a detached house will be barred from shopping in Waitrose during the coronavirus crisis.

As the pandemic continues to disrupt shopping, the supermarket has introduced restrictions to ensure only ‘their kind of people’ stockpile its overpriced items.

Waitrose & Partners director Denys Finch Hatton said: “Until now we’ve been incredibly generous by letting the riff-raff browse our shelves, fondle our locally-sourced produce and drink from our KeepCups. But desperate times call for desperate measures.

“We’re slamming the door on the hoi polloi who don’t live in standalone domiciles. It’s not like the plebs in their terraced shoeboxes appreciate our vermicelli nests anyway.

“Shoppers will need to present mortgage documents, floor plans and photographs of their home interiors before being allowed to shop. If we don’t like the sound of your postcode we’ll happily turn you away.”

Aspirational semi-detached homeowner Emma Bradford said: “Where am I meant to get my ridiculously expensive lardons from now?”
Old 19-03-2020, 12:00   #850
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
This whole thing is quite nerve racking...

I hope everyone stays ok!!
Old 19-03-2020, 12:25   #851
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Just had a nice call to my 81 yr young mum. She is well.

She shared that my sister who runs a small cafe was worried that she would have to let staff go as people aren't coming in for evening meals. So she started to look at deliveries to elderly in village starting with one or two then expanding if interest increased. She now has to venture out to get more stock as demand has gone through the roof and others in village have offered to deliver for free.
So she can keep going while also supporting vulnerable people and the village will keep their cafe and folk keep working. Much better than the me first shown in the media and in the supermarkets.
Old 19-03-2020, 13:31   #852
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Nice letter (in my email) from the Morrisons CEO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D330FAF2-5DDF-476A-8319-5A6265E4EEF8.jpg (199.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 19-03-2020, 13:36   #853
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Just had a nice call to my 81 yr young mum. She is well.

She shared that my sister who runs a small cafe was worried that she would have to let staff go as people aren't coming in for evening meals. So she started to look at deliveries to elderly in village starting with one or two then expanding if interest increased. She now has to venture out to get more stock as demand has gone through the roof and others in village have offered to deliver for free.
So she can keep going while also supporting vulnerable people and the village will keep their cafe and folk keep working. Much better than the me first shown in the media and in the supermarkets.
I like the sound of your sister. A win win solution to a problem at a time when everything seems to be going downhill gives me hope.
Old 19-03-2020, 14:51   #854
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Nice letter (in my email) from the Morrisons CEO.
You work for Morrisons ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 19-03-2020, 14:57   #855
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You work for Morrisons ?
No, I have an online shopping account, so I assume it was sent to all customers who have one.
Closed Thread