Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM General News Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

VM going down the Openreach route

Old 16-02-2024, 16:57   #1
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
VM going down the Openreach route

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/vir...tco-in-the-uk/

Only to be expected, I suppose. Will probably be used as vehicle to leverage debt against.

It can also be used a vehicle to sell the network and lease back.

Last edited by Pierre; 16-02-2024 at 17:01.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2024, 17:12   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: VM going down the Openreach route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

Only to be expected, I suppose. Will probably be used as vehicle to leverage debt against.

Not your second option from debating this news today around the water cooler.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 17:15   #3
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Not your second option from debating this news today around the water cooler.
It's a very common thing.

Virgin already has a "Propco" which groups all their technical sites.

Mobile operators set up "mastcos" etc
Old 16-02-2024, 17:18   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

The link states
Quote:
The entity, which will be a fully consolidated subsidiary of Virgin Media O2 and have a neutral impact on the company’s leverage and credit structure
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 17:23   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Another version of the news https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...wholesale.html

Old 16-02-2024, 17:48   #6
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The link states
Well that's what they say now. But one of the reasons you wrap your assets into a PropCo or NetCo. The NetCo can take on the debt separate from the parent company.

There are also Tax advantages...(obviously)

It also makes it easier to sell.

It's financial dark arts, which shouldn't really impact the day to day running of things, but gives LG (and possibly Telefonica, but as the mobile half of the business isn't involved, I don't know) shareholders options in the future.
Old 16-02-2024, 18:32   #7
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Well that's what they say now. But one of the reasons you wrap your assets into a PropCo or NetCo. The NetCo can take on the debt separate from the parent company.

There are also Tax advantages...(obviously)

It also makes it easier to sell.

It's financial dark arts, which shouldn't really impact the day to day running of things, but gives LG (and possibly Telefonica, but as the mobile half of the business isn't involved, I don't know) shareholders options in the future.
In the part i work in it is seen as a very positive move indeed

Keeps me in a job for a long time as i soon could be even more busy than i am now.

Old 16-02-2024, 20:51   #8
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
In the part i work in it is seen as a very positive move indeed

Keeps me in a job for a long time as i soon could be even more busy than i am now.
It will impact me a little, but I’m across all parts of the network.

Reading more into it, basically it’s opening up the new XGS-PON HFC Fibre overbuild.

NexFibre is already open to wholesale.

This is just doing the same for Fibre Up.

I’m just interested to know if the Core Network is going to be part of this NetCo, or if like BT & OR it’s just the Access Network and VMO2 retain the Core.
Old 16-02-2024, 21:20   #9
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
It will impact me a little, but I’m across all parts of the network.

Reading more into it, basically it’s opening up the new XGS-PON HFC Fibre overbuild.

NexFibre is already open to wholesale.

This is just doing the same for Fibre Up.

I’m just interested to know if the Core Network is going to be part of this NetCo, or if like BT & OR it’s just the Access Network and VMO2 retain the Core.
I don't have an answer in regards to core, they are pretty defensive of there network

Old 17-02-2024, 16:17   #10
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Further to the comments that I made in the news thread a few days ago, in my view, this announcement gives the green light for the takeover of BT now. But as Pierre said, the consolidation of the altnets will focus around VM's network rather than someone else's

Last edited by Horizon; 17-02-2024 at 17:09.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote