Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Today, 11:35   #2791
Carth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: At the Leaving door
Posts: 1,355
Carth has reached the bronze age
Carth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze age
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

SARS was (is) a nasty virus - if you caught it - yet even though it has an F0 factor equivalent to Covid 19 it didn't appear to spread and infect the (UK) population in the devastating way this one is.

Maybe the COVID 19 virus has better longevity on touched surfaces and airborne?
__________________
'The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it' ~ T. Pratchett
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old Today, 12:28   #2792
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,704
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Don't be ridiculous, jfman! Stop making things up. When did I say the coronavirus 'doesn't exist'? And yes, coronavirus is a type of flu, as was SARS. I'm not saying it is not serious either - what I have pointed out is that flu takes a great many lives each year as well and we seem not to panic about it, because we are used to that happening on a regular basis.

Yes, you are correct to say that there has been a large civil service resource being thrown into the coronavirus emergency, but there has also been a dedicated team set up just to deal with the trade deal with the EU. That being the case, and the fact that discussions are taking place by video instead of face to face in Brussels, there is no reason to delay the deadline for these talks.

Having said that, if Boris doesn't improve soon, that could indeed prompt a delay to the deadline.
I donít see why Boris needs to be well, cant Raab, Gove or someone else do it? After all, if we donít need an army of civil servants to support the negotiations why do we need Johnson. They either want a deal, or they donít? Itís literally that simple, is it not?

You are also ignoring that civil servants donít just support the negotiations. Government departments need to know what their own areas will look like with, and without, a trade deal. Agriculture, fisheries being two significant ones. HMRC and their customs/tariff arrangements and the Home Office with border enforcement.

As always you are grossly underestimating the task and the fact you seem to base it on whether Government can function on whether Boris is healthy (or not) simply reinforces your ignorance on such matters.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:42   #2793
Sephiroth
Simples
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AC68U. BT Infinity2; Tivo; V6; XL Phone; Devolo 1200AV
Posts: 6,993
Sephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze array
Sephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze array
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I donít see why Boris needs to be well, cant Raab, Gove or someone else do it? After all, if we donít need an army of civil servants to support the negotiations why do we need Johnson. They either want a deal, or they donít? Itís literally that simple, is it not?

<SNIP>
Sarcasm or coming round to my way of thinking, jfman?
You've got my mantra spot on.
__________________
Seph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:09   #2794
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Ultimate oomph; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 10,502
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I donít see why Boris needs to be well, cant Raab, Gove or someone else do it? After all, if we donít need an army of civil servants to support the negotiations why do we need Johnson. They either want a deal, or they donít? Itís literally that simple, is it not?

You are also ignoring that civil servants donít just support the negotiations. Government departments need to know what their own areas will look like with, and without, a trade deal. Agriculture, fisheries being two significant ones. HMRC and their customs/tariff arrangements and the Home Office with border enforcement.

As always you are grossly underestimating the task and the fact you seem to base it on whether Government can function on whether Boris is healthy (or not) simply reinforces your ignorance on such matters.
Well, you clearly have this mindset that every problem is insurmountable and nothing can be done to achieve what is wanted. You carried on like that throughout the Brexit process, but hey....it all worked out and we've left. I am not underestimating anything. You are simply trying to create insurmountable problems where there are simply issues to be resolved. The fact that this is not easy does not mean they cannot be achieved, but your posts all seem to indicate that if this was up to you, you would give up even before the first hurdle.

I don't get why you think a tariff free trade deal is so impossible to achieve in a year. The negotiations are continuing, and you have not provided any information that verifies your apparent view that they are not making good progress. We meet all the specifications for products sold to the EU because we have actually been a member of the EU, so complications such as were the case in the Canada deal don't arise.

The only reason I say that the active participation of Boris is crucial is because Boris himself will want to keep the negotiations going in a particular direction. He might want to take personal charge of that. He knows how easy it is for people to want to backtrack and make unacceptable concessions to the other side, and he believes that he's the man who can hold his nerve. He's probably right about that.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:22   #2795
1andrew1
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,978
1andrew1 has a bronzed appeal1andrew1 has a bronzed appeal
1andrew1 has a bronzed appeal1andrew1 has a bronzed appeal1andrew1 has a bronzed appeal1andrew1 has a bronzed appeal1andrew1 has a bronzed appeal1andrew1 has a bronzed appeal1andrew1 has a bronzed appeal1andrew1 has a bronzed appeal1andrew1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Sarcasm or coming round to my way of thinking, jfman?
You've got my mantra spot on.
As it's not binary I suggest the former.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:23   #2796
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,704
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, you clearly have this mindset that every problem is insurmountable and nothing can be done to achieve what is wanted.
Absolute nonsense Old Boy.

Quote:
You carried on like that throughout the Brexit process, but hey....it all worked out and we've left.
You seem quite schizophrenic about this one. I say we've left and you are first to point out that we still follow EU rules and it's not really leaving.

Quote:
I am not underestimating anything.
Wherher you can recognise it or not is irrelevant.

Quote:
You are simply trying to create insurmountable problems where there are simply issues to be resolved. The fact that this is not easy does not mean they cannot be achieved, but your posts all seem to indicate that if this was up to you, you would give up even before the first hurdle.
Name a single thing I've named above that isn't true. Do we not need new fisheries policies, agricultural policies, border control and a position on tariffs for EU goods?

I'm not inventing these things Old Boy. It's observable reality that these things are required.

Quote:
I don't get why you think a tariff free trade deal is so impossible to achieve in a year. The negotiations are continuing, and you have not provided any information that verifies your apparent view that they are not making good progress. We meet all the specifications for products sold to the EU because we have actually been a member of the EU, so complications such as were the case in the Canada deal don't arise.

The only reason I say that the active participation of Boris is crucial is because Boris himself will want to keep the negotiations going in a particular direction. He might want to take personal charge of that. He knows how easy it is for people to want to backtrack and make unacceptable concessions to the other side, and he believes that he's the man who can hold his nerve. He's probably right about that.
You have that view because of your simplistic outlook driven solely by your ideology and a misapprehension that politics is driven by personality alone. Are Raab or Gove less committed to getting a trade deal by the end of this year? Of course not. They wouldn't be in the cabinet otherwise.

I'd be at the front of the queue happy if a deal were concluded. I think it's wholly unrealistic, and the contingency is perfectly reasonable for a short extension.

As I've said a million times you cannot even name a rule the EU intend to bring in next year.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:27   #2797
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 63
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 34,161
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, you clearly have this mindset that every problem is insurmountable and nothing can be done to achieve what is wanted. You carried on like that throughout the Brexit process, but hey....it all worked out and we've left. I am not underestimating anything. You are simply trying to create insurmountable problems where there are simply issues to be resolved. The fact that this is not easy does not mean they cannot be achieved, but your posts all seem to indicate that if this was up to you, you would give up even before the first hurdle.

I don't get why you think a tariff free trade deal is so impossible to achieve in a year. The negotiations are continuing, and you have not provided any information that verifies your apparent view that they are not making good progress. We meet all the specifications for products sold to the EU because we have actually been a member of the EU, so complications such as were the case in the Canada deal don't arise.

The only reason I say that the active participation of Boris is crucial is because Boris himself will want to keep the negotiations going in a particular direction. He might want to take personal charge of that. He knows how easy it is for people to want to backtrack and make unacceptable concessions to the other side, and he believes that he's the man who can hold his nerve. He's probably right about that.
From the House of Commons Library, yesterday.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...-negotiations/
Quote:
Negotiations on the future UK-EU relationship began on 3 March. They came to an abrupt halt due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Quote:
With several EU countries already in lockdown due to the coronavirus outbreak, the second round of negotiations scheduled for 18-20 March did not take place. Michel Barnier announced that week that he had tested positive for the virus. The UKís chief negotiator David Frost also self-isolated after showing symptoms of the virus. The Prime Minister, Boris Johnson was admitted to hospital with the virus on 5 April.

There have been discussions about recommencing the talks via videoconferencing. So far, these have not been possible. The third round of talks scheduled for this week have also not taken place.
__________________
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:36   #2798
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Ultimate oomph; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 10,502
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Absolute nonsense Old Boy.

You seem quite schizophrenic about this one. I say we've left and you are first to point out that we still follow EU rules and it's not really leaving.

Wherher you can recognise it or not is irrelevant.


Name a single thing I've named above that isn't true. Do we not need new fisheries policies, agricultural policies, border control and a position on tariffs for EU goods?

I'm not inventing these things Old Boy. It's observable reality that these things are required.

You have that view because of your simplistic outlook driven solely by your ideology and a misapprehension that politics is driven by personality alone. Are Raab or Gove less committed to getting a trade deal by the end of this year? Of course not. They wouldn't be in the cabinet otherwise.

I'd be at the front of the queue happy if a deal were concluded. I think it's wholly unrealistic, and the contingency is perfectly reasonable for a short extension.

As I've said a million times you cannot even name a rule the EU intend to bring in next year.
Of course we've left the EU. We are in a withdrawal period whereby we continue to be subject to EU rules and the ECJ. Why did you think that was an issue for me? This is a transition period so that we can prepare ourselves properly for the break at the end of the year.

You say we need to have fisheries policies in place. They are our damned fish, actually, we don't need to agree them with the EU! All these policies are likely to have been drafted some time ago. It may be that we will make some changes during the course of these negotiations, but the government knows what it wants to achieve.

As far as tariffs for goods is concerned, we want no tariffs, and nor does the EU. And if the EU applies them to our exports to them, we will apply them to their exports to us. Guess who would lose more?

The thing is, this has been said before. What is it you don't get? Or are you arguing for the sake of it? I know, I must perish the thought...
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:37   #2799
gba93
ofc.founder_member
 
gba93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Camberley
Services: VIP 60
Posts: 838
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Then again .....


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52208127


Brexit trade talks continuing in Ďdifficult timesí

Post-Brexit trade talks are continuing with the EU ďin these difficult timesĒ, according to the UKís chief negotiator. David Frost said he and his EU counterpart, Michel Barnier, would decide a timetable for further discussions in April and May.


Things change quickly!
__________________
------------------------------------------------
Asus Sabertooth 990FX, AMD Phenom II X4 965BE, Corsair Vengeance 16mb, 2 x Asus HD 6770
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:55   #2800
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,704
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Of course we've left the EU. We are in a withdrawal period whereby we continue to be subject to EU rules and the ECJ. Why did you think that was an issue for me? This is a transition period so that we can prepare ourselves properly for the break at the end of the year.

You say we need to have fisheries policies in place. They are our damned fish, actually, we don't need to agree them with the EU! All these policies are likely to have been drafted some time ago. It may be that we will make some changes during the course of these negotiations, but the government knows what it wants to achieve.
You've just claimed a policy for fisheries would be established ages ago. Absolutely baseless claim.

You correctly point out they are our fish, however I'm sure we'd all agree that unregulated fishing is a bad idea. So we need two policies - one for if fishing is in a trade deal and one for if it's not. This is nexessary firstly for population levels in our waters and two my favourite subject - economics - some kind of control has to make sure this develops sustainable fisheries communities and preferably profitable exports.

Quote:
As far as tariffs for goods is concerned, we want no tariffs, and nor does the EU. And if the EU applies them to our exports to them, we will apply them to their exports to us. Guess who would lose more?
You hypothesise who would lose more but either way that's time and effort implementing policy outcomes that are unclear as we sit today. Plus we need the "no deal" one being planned for in th background.

Quote:
The thing is, this has been said before. What is it you don't get? Or are you arguing for the sake of it? I know, I must perish the thought...
My real issue is I have an intolerance of absolutely baseless information and opinion presented as fact on an internet forum.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:58   #2801
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 63
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 34,161
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba93 View Post
Then again .....


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52208127


Brexit trade talks continuing in Ďdifficult timesí

Post-Brexit trade talks are continuing with the EU ďin these difficult timesĒ, according to the UKís chief negotiator. David Frost said he and his EU counterpart, Michel Barnier, would decide a timetable for further discussions in April and May.


Things change quickly!
Or have they?

From the same story, but in the Express
Quote:
Last week officials held daily phone calls as the EU and UK teams continued to clarify their counterparts positions, in areas such as fishing, mobility, trade and justice and home affairs.

Both teams are analysing draft free-trade agreements tabled almost three weeks ago, but there has been little sign of an immediate breakthrough.

A UK Government spokesman said: ďDavid Frost and the EUís deputy head of the task force, Clara Martinez Alberola, and their teams spoke by video conference to take stock of those discussions and to consider the next steps...

...A European Commission spokesman said: ďMichel Barnier will speak with David Frost next week to agree a calendar for the next steps in order to move the negotiations forward, taking into account the coronavirus outbreak.Ē

Officials from both sides have so far failed to agree on a format for remote negotiations, with video conferencing still a favoured option, to be carried out successfully.
How can they be carrying out negotiations, when they haven't agreed a format to have the negotiations?
__________________
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:01   #2802
Mr K
Lefty Liberal Remoaner
 
Mr K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 6,089
Mr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze array
Mr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze array
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Or have they?

From the same story, but in the Express How can they be carrying out negotiations, when they haven't agreed a format to have the negotiations?
I think everybody has got better things to concentrate on the moment. Little things, like staying alive.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:09   #2803
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,704
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Or have they?

From the same story, but in the Express How can they be carrying out negotiations, when they haven't agreed a format to have the negotiations?
ďTalksĒ is a great word.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:31   #2804
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Ultimate oomph; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 10,502
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You've just claimed a policy for fisheries would be established ages ago. Absolutely baseless claim.

You correctly point out they are our fish, however I'm sure we'd all agree that unregulated fishing is a bad idea. So we need two policies - one for if fishing is in a trade deal and one for if it's not. This is nexessary firstly for population levels in our waters and two my favourite subject - economics - some kind of control has to make sure this develops sustainable fisheries communities and preferably profitable exports.

You hypothesise who would lose more but either way that's time and effort implementing policy outcomes that are unclear as we sit today. Plus we need the "no deal" one being planned for in th background.

My real issue is I have an intolerance of absolutely baseless information and opinion presented as fact on an internet forum.
Well stop keep making it up then, jfman! Job done.

The Fisheries Bill has already passed Parliament, the rest will be in the government's proposals that are part of these negotiations. The government knows exactly what it wants and the degree to which it is prepared to compromise. In the end, it's all about quotas, and given we are on the front foot on this one, why is this so complicated to your mind? Who said we would agree to unregulated fishing?

Do you take weeks to weigh up whether it's safe to cross the road? Of course not, so let's get real about the likelihood of getting decisions made on these matters in a straight forward and efficient manner.

It may be true to say that the last three meetings have not taken place, but papers are being passed back and forth, which may be sufficient for now, until a meeting is required to thrash out any sticking points.

The reason it was important for me to point out who would lose more if tariffs were applied was to remove the lead curtain from your eyes that prevents you from seeing that the EU does indeed want a trade deal with no tariffs as it is in their best interests.. It annoys them to death that they cannot hold us over a barrel on other matters given that we just want a straight forward deal.

Sometimes I think you can't see the wood for the trees, jfman.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:32   #2805
jonbxx
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rickmansworth, Herts
Age: 49
Services: VM VIP Pack
Posts: 976
jonbxx has reached the bronze age
jonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze age
Re: [Updated] The UKís future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As far as tariffs for goods is concerned, we want no tariffs, and nor does the EU. And if the EU applies them to our exports to them, we will apply them to their exports to us. Guess who would lose more?
Well, 53% of our imports will suddenly become more expensive as they come from the EU while 3-4% of the EUs imports will become more expensive as they come from the UK.

Of course the money goes in to the respective government pockets but it's the importing customer who eventually pays
jonbxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (5 members and 2 guests)
OLD BOY, jfman, denphone, Hom3r
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:35.


Server: xenon.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.