Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 21:41   #556
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

If they do that they should make it an additional cost for those wanting to take these services.
It would relate to your subscription package, Raider.
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2019, 21:48   #557
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Another assumption, jfman. No, I'm not saying that, I am saying that Virgin should pay and include that cost in the subscription. Just like they have been doing for the main terrestrial catch-up services.
This all sounds dangerously close to the Eleven Sports model. Pray and hope an existing platform will offer you the oxygen to survive.

Your own link earlier today suggested people were at the end of their tether with increasing costs and less content.
Old 09-02-2019, 00:19   #558
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
This all sounds dangerously close to the Eleven Sports model. Pray and hope an existing platform will offer you the oxygen to survive.

Your own link earlier today suggested people were at the end of their tether with increasing costs and less content.
This post of yours does not make sense to me. What exactly has this to do with Eleven Sports? I think you need to explain this.

People are indeed fed up with paying so much for all those linear channels when there is so often nothing to watch.

Giving people the opportunity of watching so much good content via low cost subscription VOD services is the answer to this.

Things will move on. Consider the current system of conventional TV channels, which costs a small fortune for little good content, with all the stuff available on Netflix, Amazon, etc. In the future there will be no linear TV channels in the conventional sense, so you can exclude that cost.

How do you work out that this is a retrograde step? Please be explicit, because genuinely, I am not sure where you are coming from.

If you subscribe to Netflix, Prime and the Now TV entertainment and cinema passes, you are only shelling out less than £40 quid a month. Compare that with what we are currently paying out for cable/Sky channels now with little on that is worthwhile watching.

I think your emphasis is on sport, and I have not really addressed this in any detail. I would like to be more explicit about this, but sport is a much more complicated factor. However, in the end, I do think that normal competition forces will sort this out. Sky have been quite restrictive in terms of which platforms can watch their exclusive content. Although this draws sports fans to their platform, it ignores those who wish to view these events on other platforms. Media competitors such as Amazon and Disney can break down these barriers, which will increase viewership and increase revenues. Sky do recognise this fallibility in their approach, which explains the recent deal they have agreed with BT.

This is a rapidly changing environment and those that insist that the status quo will be maintained are not coming to terms with the changes that are about to engulf us all.

You can ignore this if you like, but I don't know why you would! Future developments are so much more exciting. Just look at the trends, man! You know it makes sense!
Old 09-02-2019, 21:57   #559
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
This post of yours does not make sense to me. What exactly has this to do with Eleven Sports? I think you need to explain this.

People are indeed fed up with paying so much for all those linear channels when there is so often nothing to watch.

Giving people the opportunity of watching so much good content via low cost subscription VOD services is the answer to this.

Things will move on. Consider the current system of conventional TV channels, which costs a small fortune for little good content, with all the stuff available on Netflix, Amazon, etc. In the future there will be no linear TV channels in the conventional sense, so you can exclude that cost.

How do you work out that this is a retrograde step? Please be explicit, because genuinely, I am not sure where you are coming from.

If you subscribe to Netflix, Prime and the Now TV entertainment and cinema passes, you are only shelling out less than £40 quid a month. Compare that with what we are currently paying out for cable/Sky channels now with little on that is worthwhile watching.

I think your emphasis is on sport, and I have not really addressed this in any detail. I would like to be more explicit about this, but sport is a much more complicated factor. However, in the end, I do think that normal competition forces will sort this out. Sky have been quite restrictive in terms of which platforms can watch their exclusive content. Although this draws sports fans to their platform, it ignores those who wish to view these events on other platforms. Media competitors such as Amazon and Disney can break down these barriers, which will increase viewership and increase revenues. Sky do recognise this fallibility in their approach, which explains the recent deal they have agreed with BT.

This is a rapidly changing environment and those that insist that the status quo will be maintained are not coming to terms with the changes that are about to engulf us all.

You can ignore this if you like, but I don't know why you would! Future developments are so much more exciting. Just look at the trends, man! You know it makes sense!

Me neither, OB, another one of the head in the sand brigade.

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Quote:
Do I detect a touch of realism here?

I will make a prediction that in 2035 we will still be waiting for high-speed broadband coverage to reach 80% of the country.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

If they do that they should make it an additional cost for those wanting to take these services.
Oh dear, shall we have a wee wager on that?

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

Quote:
Another day another article predicting the end of linear TV. I don’t see anything particularly worrying for Virgin in there.

The average consumer can’t cope with two bills. How will they cope without an EPG and relying on four of five different streaming apps to work out what’s worth watching?

As long as one of those bills is for broadband the existing triple play providers will be best placed to cut through this complexity and give consumers a wide range of content on their phones, tablets, laptops, games consoles and last but not least - televisions.
Not a very good impression of the "average user" as you put it, its fairly simple to pay for what you want to watch, is it not?
Old 09-02-2019, 22:10   #560
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

People are at the end of their tether, but what they want is better quality content at less cost. That is what streaming services offer us.

I really don't understand the comparison you make to Eleven Sports, you will need to explain that to me!
Old 21-02-2019, 10:23   #561
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

I have been saying for a long time now that the streaming services will replace linear TV channels over time.

Now it seems that one cable company, Ziggo, is considering the rationalisation of its cable channels due to changing customer demand.

If there are similar moves by other providers across the world, this should see off the less popular pay tv channels sooner than I expected.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...s-to-channels/

Dutch cable operator Ziggo is re-thinking carriage payments for linear channels as a consequence of changing viewing behaviour.

In an interview with Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, Jeroen Hoencamp, chairman of the board of VodafoneZiggo, said that paying for linear channels is getting out of date.

“There is still a lot of linear viewing, but that is changing rapidly now that people are more likely to choose video on demand or to watch catch-up. This means that some content becomes less relevant and that translates into discussions with suppliers. The old model in which we pay broadcasters for distributing their channels is becoming outdated.

Old 21-02-2019, 13:56   #562
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

All they need now is the suppliers to agree...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-02-2019, 19:00   #563
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Cable operator in trying to talk down the value of their suppliers shock.

On a separate note RIP Eleven Sports in the UK. I see La Liga rights are off to Premier Sports.

Last edited by jfman; 21-02-2019 at 19:32.
Old 21-02-2019, 22:04   #564
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Cable operator in trying to talk down the value of their suppliers shock.

On a separate note RIP Eleven Sports in the UK. I see La Liga rights are off to Premier Sports.
Another streamer bites the dust OB😱
Old 21-02-2019, 22:28   #565
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Another streamer bites the dust OB😱
Whisper it quietly though..
Old 22-02-2019, 06:30   #566
jfman
Architect of Ideas

In fairness they are stumbling on a little further, clearly La Liga have a watertight contract they can’t just hand back without consequences for the rest of their operations.

It begs the question can a streamer stand on it’s own two feet without a conventional pay-tv presence?
Old 22-02-2019, 09:33   #567
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
In fairness they are stumbling on a little further, clearly La Liga have a watertight contract they can’t just hand back without consequences for the rest of their operations.

It begs the question can a streamer stand on it’s own two feet without a conventional pay-tv presence?
It can survive as long as Sky and/or Virgin Media carry its streaming service on their platforms. It doesn't have to be a conventional channel, though.

Eleven Sports has suffered a serious setback in the UK and frankly I can't see them rowing back from that. However, given their success elsewhere, I wouldn't rule it out altogether.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:07   #568
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

l think you know the answer to that...
Old 22-02-2019, 18:28   #569
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
It can survive as long as Sky and/or Virgin Media carry its streaming service on their platforms. It doesn't have to be a conventional channel, though.

Eleven Sports has suffered a serious setback in the UK and frankly I can't see them rowing back from that. However, given their success elsewhere, I wouldn't rule it out altogether.

But without linear channels would there be a sky or Virginia to carry the streamers services - I seriously doubt it!
Old 22-02-2019, 19:04   #570
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
But without linear channels would there be a sky or Virginia to carry the streamers services - I seriously doubt it!
The streaming/on demand services will replace those channels over time. It would certainly simplify the EPG!
Closed Thread