Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Firefox 69.0.1 - complete slowdown

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Desktop PC Sleep mode Electricity cost?

Old 02-11-2019, 09:35   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Desktop PC Sleep mode Electricity cost?

I've always shutdown my Windows 10 desktop when i am not using it but recently i have started using Sleep mode because of an issue i am having where after pressing the power button the PC won't turn on again unless i turn the power supply switch off for 20 seconds on the back of the tower.

So my question is if i leave the desktop in Sleep mode 24/7 when i am not using it roughly how many £s a year will that add to someones Electricity bill?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:20   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Desktop PC Sleep mode Electricity cost?

The PSU will always run to hold up the 5v line and maintain the state of RAM, but I suspect it's minimal power. Some programs do not like sleep / hibernate / suspend mode and can cause probelms, like not being able to wake the PC.

I've always shut my PC down completely as it only takes a couple of minutes to fully reboot (even faster once I fit a SSD). I also switch it off at the wall at night, or when we are out of the home.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:28   #3
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

If you've got a smart meter then you can use that to gauge the amount of power the PC takes in various modes. Set the display to read current consumption in watts.

Make sure that appliances that could cycle while you're taking measurements are turned off. That's fridges, freezers, immersion heaters, central heating pumps and controls, etc.

I would hazard a guess that the consumption would be around 50 watts or so.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:31   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I use one of these, it's far simpler. It reads voltage, current, power...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Plug-i...-/352502227636
Old 02-11-2019, 12:45   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Thanks all, not planning on spending money to see how much money it costs running in sleep though.

No smart meter here yet luckily.

The only reason i am moving to keeping it in sleep is i can't switch it on again with the power button without getting under the desk, so i am thinking it is only a few £s a year and i base that on a Google but thought you guys may have a more accurate figure.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:49   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

5 to 10w in sleep mode apparently. So similar to a low energy light bulb. Laptops only use 2W, I resort to sleep mode for my work laptop which takes ages to boot with all the corporate junk. Only loses 10% battery charge overnight.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:54   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Any idea of the cost per year roughly?
Old 02-11-2019, 13:04   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Any idea of the cost per year roughly?
About 10p a week if I'm using this calculator properly (which I may not be!) using 5w, https://www.sust-it.net/energy-calculator.php

So about £5 to £10 a year.

Last edited by Mr K; 02-11-2019 at 13:07.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 13:08   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
About 10p a week if I'm using this calculator properly (which I may not be!) using 5w, https://www.sust-it.net/energy-calculator.php
I made it £7.79 for the year unless i have worked it out wrong based on 5w, obviously it won't always be in sleep so that reduces further, so it is all good, no more getting on my knees to flick the switch!

5W
Time in use = 8760 hours a year
Cost = £7.79 a year.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 02-11-2019 at 13:12.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 13:28   #10
Taf
cf.mega poster

Extend the power switch to somewhere more accessible? Easily done, and it'll save your back in future years (which is why I did it).
Old 02-11-2019, 16:05   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Extend the power switch to somewhere more accessible? Easily done, and it'll save your back in future years (which is why I did it).
I would have to replace the mains block for that with switches on, still a hassle and there is then a chance pc gets turned off by mistake so sleep mode is the best option if it is that cheap, but it'll be cheaper as the pc won't be in sleep for a whole year.
Old 02-11-2019, 21:06   #12
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Perhaps the best remedy would be to look at why the machine has an issue resuming from a shutdown state.

The first thing I would look at would be Fast Start-up. In my experience (working in IT) it causes more issues than it's really worth, especially in the day of the SSD. It simply doesn't add any real-world benefit.

Turn it off by doing the following;

1) Click Start (bottom Left of the screen)
2) type Power Options
3) on the left side of the options, select Choose What The Power Buttons Do
4) click the Admin option named Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable towards the top of the window
5) Take the ticket out of Turn On Fast Start-up to turn it off

Test a shutdown and restart of the machine
Old 02-11-2019, 21:13   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
Perhaps the best remedy would be to look at why the machine has an issue resuming from a shutdown state.

The first thing I would look at would be Fast Start-up. In my experience (working in IT) it causes more issues than it's really worth, especially in the day of the SSD. It simply doesn't add any real-world benefit.

Turn it off by doing the following;

1) Click Start (bottom Left of the screen)
2) type Power Options
3) on the left side of the options, select Choose What The Power Buttons Do
4) click the Admin option named Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable towards the top of the window
5) Take the ticket out of Turn On Fast Start-up to turn it off

Test a shutdown and restart of the machine
I think i tried that a while back but i will give it another shot tomorrow as i have no idea whether it is software or hardware related.

All i know that i had the problem randomly where sometimes it would work and others it wouldn't but the last 3 months or so the computer can only be restarted successfully by flicking the power supply switch every time for 20 seconds.
Old 02-11-2019, 21:21   #14
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Make sure that When I Press The Power Button: is set to Shut Down
Old 02-11-2019, 21:37   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Well i tried turning off Fast Boot and powered down the PC normally from windows and left it off a few mins, when i pressed the power button it worked this time, however i then repeated it and it didn't work.

The Power Button is set to shutdown.

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

My guess is a dodgy PSU, next time i reinstall windows i will know if it is hardware or software but no plans for a reinstall.