Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

Old 14-06-2008, 15:17   #46
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstamper View Post
Ben I know this option is far from ideal, but if the OPs home life is being made a misery, and the police are failing to act, I feel he has every right to do what he can that's legal to enjoy his home life in peace. As regards this device affecting say normal passers by, I'm not suggesting for him to leave it on permanently, just put it on when all else fails.
I have been in the same position as the OP. The misery would start at around 11pm and carry on escalating into the early hours of the morning. Any attempts to move the 'children', however nicely done, was always met with an increase in the aggravating behaviour.

The Police tried their best, they attempted to use reason, and even tried to take names and addresses but the children had an escape route across a playing field. That playing field, despite its seating area, held no attraction to the youngsters who wanted to congregate on a street corner where they could indulge their need to showcase their inane behaviour.

We did discuss the use of a Mosquito devise amongst the neighbours and with the Police but we all quickly ruled it out as we had babies, children and young people living in the immediate area who would suffer if we used it.

The Rooster Pellets were a mad idea which I used in desperation but which worked for us.

We have not needed to use anything so far this year but I will do so if the problem starts again. A 50 pence solution.
Old 14-06-2008, 15:40   #47
lulukimmi
Inactive

lulukimmi is on a distinguished roadlulukimmi is on a distinguished road

Yes I have thought of getting one of those noise devices to use just when the kids are out there but I can imagine all kinds of problems and it really couldn't be kept on all the time. I believe it is the fault of the parents letting their kids out so late of an evening/night. Don't they know where they are? I can't imagine letting my kids out at that sort of hour on any night of the week let alone a school night.

For today, I have just distributed the chicken pellets and will let nature take its course for tonight. Hopefully when they all congregate at around 7pm for their night out they will move on swiftly elsewhere - fingers crossed
lulukimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 16:28   #48
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulukimmi View Post
Yes I have thought of getting one of those noise devices to use just when the kids are out there but I can imagine all kinds of problems and it really couldn't be kept on all the time. I believe it is the fault of the parents letting their kids out so late of an evening/night. Don't they know where they are? I can't imagine letting my kids out at that sort of hour on any night of the week let alone a school night.

For today, I have just distributed the chicken pellets and will let nature take its course for tonight. Hopefully when they all congregate at around 7pm for their night out they will move on swiftly elsewhere - fingers crossed
I wish you luck lulukimmi, as you say where are the parents of these kids? I wonder what their reaction would be if this was happening on their doorstep? At present I'm lucky in that my road is very quite, and the neighbours are all decent people with regard for others, but many years ago I went through this nightmare with kids congregating outside, and in turned into a constant battle, so yourself and Jo have my sympathies. Everybody has the right to peace and quite and to feel safe in their own home, without some mindless morons trying to ruin it for them.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 16:34   #49
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
The police and the local council are involved with this but until these things are removed or made inaccessible, the kids will perch on them and screech - worse than a cage of budgies! (I don't have anything against budgies but they do make a racket if you are trying to watch TV or have a quiet drink with friends in the garden) If only a couple of other people have the same problem I would seriously have a case. Kids, I agree, do congregate on street corners but when they actively arrange to meet at 'the green boxes' there is a problem.
OK, so Virgin sink these things into the ground (removing them is not an option). What then? Oh, the kids just arrange to meet at another nearby piece of street "furniture", so a set of traffic lights. What then? Remove that?

Ultimately it is up to the kid's parents to sort out, but, failing that, the Police or Local council. Virgin really cannot do anything, nor is it their responsibility.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 17:10   #50
lulukimmi
Inactive

The message I am getting is that it is nothing to do with Virgin Media... It is their boxes/cabinets 'causing' the problem, how is it not their problem? I most certainly did not cause/request these things to be there. I am quite sure that if they were across the road on the green area - the kids would congregate there - thus not disturbing anyone. Street furniture placement needs to be considered more carefully and not just plonked down where it suits the owners. The most ironic thing is that these boxes do not even serve this side of the street - they serve the other side of the street, the area close by to the green area!
Old 14-06-2008, 17:33   #51
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It is their boxes/cabinets 'causing' the problem, how is it not their problem?!
No, it is the kids causing the problem
Old 14-06-2008, 17:57   #52
lulukimmi
Inactive

Agree - but if the boxes weren't there neither would the kids. I think the parents are fed up of me speaking to them and obviously it does absolutely no good (I am not raving at them - I am, surprisingly - calm) - the parents are obviously oblivious to the overall problem - OK - what then, is the answer??
Old 14-06-2008, 18:03   #53
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation

the locating of cabs in the early build days was like the early mobile masts the companys were given carte blanche to place them wherever needed, whilst having sympathy with the op it is not a vm issue but more a local parent problem.
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 18:07   #54
lulukimmi
Inactive

The parents obviously don't care where their kids are at any given time of the night (until one goes missing) so other agencies have to be involved. All I want is a quiet life and be able to watch TV, have a drink or two in the garden without having to be abused by the noise made by these errant teenagers.
Old 15-06-2008, 00:48   #55
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The parents obviously don't care where their kids are at any given time of the night (until one goes missing) so other agencies have to be involved. All I want is a quiet life and be able to watch TV, have a drink or two in the garden without having to be abused by the noise made by these errant teenagers.
why not invite the over 18's into your your garden for a drink kimmi,thereby reducing the noise outside by some degree
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 14:28   #56
hardtarget
Inactive

hardtarget is an unknown quantity at this point

how do we get these removed?
it is blocking my driveway and i can only park 1 car when i should be able to easily park 2 cars in there
hardtarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 15:09   #57
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You will have to phone Virgin and ask them, and for that circumstance, you will have to pay to get it moved.

As has previously been noted on this thread, the cable company would have notified people where they were going, and the property owner would have been able to object at that time.
Old 20-06-2008, 17:21   #58
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society

Quote:
it is blocking my driveway and i can only park 1 car when i should be able to easily park 2 cars in there
So they plonked a cab right in the middle of your drive blocking your entrance? Its not agaisnt a wall, fence or a hedge
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 19:58   #59
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtarget View Post
how do we get these removed?
How long has the cabinet been there and how is it is blocking your driveway, or is this a widening of your driveway that you added at a later date.
Old 20-06-2008, 22:15   #60
Impz2002
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media DTV Constant 20mb XL Broadband
Impz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really nice

I cannot beleive you can try and blame VM for this. The kids will continue to congregate in the same place regardless of the location of the street cab. VM are skint and they wil certianly not spend £1000's of the little cash they do have moving a street cab because kids meet there. The problem should be dealth with by the police but i highly doubt there is any law being broken if they are just talking and there is no criminal damage or aggressive behavior !

Impz
Impz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote