Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dynamode Router advice sought

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Map network drive from xp to 2008

Old 02-12-2008, 22:14   #1
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Map network drive from xp to 2008

So, I'm trying to map a drive from xp to windows server 2008 - which all works - however, every time I log in I have to give the password again - even when I've told it to remember it...

what am I doing wrong?
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2008, 09:15   #2
devonps
Inactive

Services: 20mb bb, digital tv & phone
devonps will become famous soon enoughdevonps will become famous soon enoughdevonps will become famous soon enough
Re: Map network drive from xp to 2008

Check how the authentication is carried out on your 2008 server. For example is it carried out on a per-user basis (which is what you're experiencing) or is it carried out at the directory/folder level.

I can't supply explicit steps how to check this as I'm a Linux guy and I get tripped up on this step every now and again after a new server build.

Hope that helps,
Steve.
devonps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:29   #3
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Hang on, from XP to 2008? Or from 2008 so when you logon to an xp machine you get the drive?
You want to map a drive from the server to a pc?
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 14:08   #4
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
Hang on, from XP to 2008? Or from 2008 so when you logon to an xp machine you get the drive?
You want to map a drive from the server to a pc?
sorry, yes - when I log onto xp I get the drive from the server
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 14:17   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

If all else fails, save this as something like net_logon.bat and put it in your XP startup directory (you'll need to change details appropriately):

Code:
@echo off

echo Setting up network drives, please wait.....

NET USE X: \\<Server>\<FolderPath> /USER:<Server>\<UserName> <Password>

echo Setup complete.....

pause
This Maps \\<Server>\<FolderPath> to X using the credentials <UserName> and <Password> for an account that exists on the server. Provided the account has access to that share it should work ok.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

Forgot to say, this actually re-maps the drive every time you login rather than mapping it persistently.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

Oh, yeah, and it's not a very pretty/elegent solution either

In fact, it's a god awful hack
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 14:17   #6
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
sorry, yes - when I log onto xp I get the drive from the server
Do you use Active Directory? Do you already map other drives? If not you can just map it under their username in AD...? I need a bit more info on how you system is setup.

We map the user home shares in the home folder bit under profiles, and network drives via script.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote