Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 18-12-2015, 10:23   #1516
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdraig View Post
running 10 on lumia 520 and 625 only problem so far has been tethering and solved that by switching Bluetooth off manually before sharing as it seems it doesn't always do it automatically
I can assure you there really is a major problem.

Lumia 950 meltdown
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2015, 10:31   #1517
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124200)

out now
Did it late last night.
Old 18-12-2015, 11:39   #1518
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
I can assure you there really is a major problem.

Lumia 950 meltdown
Yikes, I hope they sort all this out before rolling Windows 10 out to the Lumia 930. I always saw carrier approval as an annoyance but definitely not in this case!
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 12:13   #1519
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

I have a Lumia 950XL, arrived on the 4th Dec, worked perfectly until yesterday morning now it is basically a very expensive hand warmer. Giving them a couple of days to hopefully sort it before resorting to full factory reset.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 15:39   #1520
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
For some abnormal reason this update screwed my video card settings up on my main PC.

It switched the monitors the other way around than what they should have been for example it switched my main monitor to monitor 2 and i had to set them back manually.

I changed my reg file so i can chose which updates i download. Stops the feck ups that seem to be common with windows 10 updates
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 16:48   #1521
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I'm still not seeing anything massively compelling that's convincing me to let this thing anywhere near my main PC.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 17:59   #1522
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I'm still not seeing anything massively compelling that's convincing me to let this thing anywhere near my main PC.
Neither am I.

I'm just hoping they have things eventually sorted before June. I see no compelling reason to change from W7 whilst it is still being updated for security issues.

Once that stops I'll move to W8.1 with Classic Shell and thereafter will most likely be a Linux user.

Has the "service pack" Threshold 2 been pushed out yet?

There is another due next year but will it be before the June deadline or will they purposely wait until that passes?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 18:04   #1523
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Neither am I.

I'm just hoping they have things eventually sorted before June. I see no compelling reason to change from W7 whilst it is still being updated for security issues.

Once that stops I'll move to W8.1 with Classic Shell and thereafter will most likely be a Linux user.

Has the "service pack" Threshold 2 been pushed out yet?

There is another due next year but will it be before the June deadline or will they purposely wait until that passes?
It will always get updated for security issues though just like every other Windows version?

TH2 has been out a couple of months now.
Old 18-12-2015, 18:10   #1524
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It will always get updated for security issues though just like every other Windows version?

TH2 has been out a couple of months now.
Same here.
Old 18-12-2015, 18:10   #1525
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I'm still on 8.1 with Classic shell/start, with a tiny bit of tweaking you hardly get to see any of the Metro bs at all, I've found the experience to be pretty faultless. I never had an issue with Vista either. Win 10 certainly blows out of the water the 'every other release of Windows is the good one' theory.

I'm not convinced this isn't the Worlds largest beta test program.

(also enjoyed 95, 98, NT4 <not ME> Win 2000, & XP)
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 18:18   #1526
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I'm still on 8.1 with Classic shell/start, with a tiny bit of tweaking you hardly get to see any of the Metro bs at all, I've found the experience to be pretty faultless. I never had an issue with Vista either. Win 10 certainly blows out of the water the 'every other release of Windows is the good one' theory.

I'm not convinced this isn't the Worlds largest beta test program.

(also enjoyed 95, 98, NT4 <not ME> Win 2000, & XP)
Nail, head seems to fit here.

Every relaease of the MS system has had problems in the beginning, and we all expect issues at the start (at least I do from experience).

I understand that what MS are trying to do here is complicated for them as they've never tried cross platform in this way before. Yes they've tinkered with attempts, we know that.

I can see what they want in a cross platform system and I can see the benefits to the user. They still need to get their act together though IMHO.

Quote:
Does W98 still get security updates?

Updates only last for a given number of years, the only exception ever has been XP.
Old 19-12-2015, 00:14   #1527
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Nail, head seems to fit here.

Every relaease of the MS system has had problems in the beginning, and we all expect issues at the start (at least I do from experience).

I understand that what MS are trying to do here is complicated for them as they've never tried cross platform in this way before. Yes they've tinkered with attempts, we know that.

I can see what they want in a cross platform system and I can see the benefits to the user. They still need to get their act together though IMHO.

Does W98 still get security updates?

Updates only last for a given number of years, the only exception ever has been XP.
My guess is Windows 98 doesn't but Windows 7 still gets them and that was released in 2009, so I expect every future update to be the same for several years after they're released, I didn't mean to say forever.

You gave me the impression in your original post you thought the security would be fixed in a few months then you would upgrade to it.

For me Windows 10 is the best version of Windows so far, at least for what i use it for, although I like the Windows 7 theme a little better.
Old 19-12-2015, 00:48   #1528
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
My guess is Windows 98 doesn't but Windows 7 still gets them and that was released in 2009, so I expect every future update to be the same for several years after they're released, I didn't mean to say forever.

You gave me the impression in your original post you thought the security would be fixed in a few months then you would upgrade to it.

For me Windows 10 is the best version of Windows so far, at least for what i use it for, although I like the Windows 7 theme a little better.
windows 7 will get updates until 2020

totally agree windows 10 is the best windows
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 09:08   #1529
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

This link might be helpful for you...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 09:50   #1530
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcopeland View Post
This link might be helpful for you...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle
Something a little disconcerting in the small print there specifically for W10.

"A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (“OEM”) support period."