Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeware Alternative Software List

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Freeware Alternative Software List

Old 27-04-2007, 00:11   #76
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic
Re: Freeware Alternative Software List

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_365 View Post
Or better still, this.
That's a firefox extension though, the one I linked to is a standalone application, for us mere mortals who don't use firefox.
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2007, 00:57   #77
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Even better... Use Orbit Download manager, it can latch onto any stream playing in a web page you like. It's also free, helps me max my 10Mb line, and is pretty configurable.

http://www.orbitdownloader.com/
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 07:26   #78
Alien
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, V+, VM 10Mb
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze

Quote:
Or better still, this.
You beat me to it, I was going to suggest Ook as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
Even better... Use Orbit Download manager, it can latch onto any stream playing in a web page you like. It's also free, helps me max my 10Mb line, and is pretty configurable.

http://www.orbitdownloader.com/
Thanks for that, it enabled me to save a funny flash video I found. Unfortunately, I can't link it in the funny videos thread due to forum rules, but I'll see if I can censor it & post that version later.
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 20:18   #79
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedantic View Post
That's a firefox extension though, the one I linked to is a standalone application, for us mere mortals who don't use firefox.
People who don't use Firefox? Can you run that one past me again?
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 21:35   #80
Alien
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, V+, VM 10Mb
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze

Quote:
People who don't use Firefox? Can you run that one past me again?
The number of people using Firefox are still in the minority compared to the number of people using IE.
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 21:58   #81
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Since its not avaliable as Freeware anymore, may i upload Driver Cleaner. Basically as you may know that when you un install graphics and sound card drivers to upgrade to new ones, bits get left behind, here, there and everywhere. The purpose of Driver cleaner is to delete those left over files and registry keys.

and i just noticed that its too big to upload (its in .zip format)
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:14   #82
Quam256
Inactive

Services: XL,Phone and 60mb .
Quam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of light

Im after a programe that can limit the time that you can access the Net (for the kids in the house).Is there anything free that will do the job ?.
Quam256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:36   #83
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quam256 View Post
Im after a programe that can limit the time that you can access the Net (for the kids in the house).Is there anything free that will do the job ?.
Do the Kids have their own profile on Home PC? or what is the Setup?

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Onl...nlinetime.html
or search http://www.snapfiles.com for Free & Shareware files
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 13:46   #84
Quam256
Inactive

Quam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
Do the Kids have their own profile on Home PC? or what is the Setup?

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Onl...nlinetime.html
or search http://www.snapfiles.com for Free & Shareware files
I have 2 Pc's running through a router . One in his room ,he has his own log on with Admin rights .
The software needs to be set to shut off the net connection at a set time .
Old 07-05-2007, 14:06   #85
pedantic
Inactive

pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze

Nice media player here

Quote:
Songbird™ is a desktop Web player, a digital jukebox and Web browser mash-up. Like Winamp, it supports extensions and skins (feathers). Like Firefox®, it is built from Mozilla®, cross-platform and open source.
Old 07-05-2007, 15:21   #86
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Some routers will do this for you. On mine, you can block or allow access to the internet by IP address (or range of addresses) and by a time schedule that can be configured for each day of the week.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:41   #87
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
I have 2 Pc's running through a router . One in his room ,he has his own log on with Admin rights .
The software needs to be set to shut off the net connection at a set time .
My sister had me set up a Wireless Router for her on her NTL B/Band. It was a Linksys Router & as altis said this router had the option to "RESTRICT" Internet Time (not that she wanted it but I saw the setup screen.

- Set a "Online Time" like 4pm - 6pm Mon-Fri & any time Sat/Sun
- Stop Internet at 10pm (or any time)

Worth looking at a New Router? If you install something on his PC he can stop it or most of the FREE stuff is only a Clock Reminder (not Shutdown Internet)
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:44   #88
Quam256
Inactive

Will hve a look at routers and see what I can find .....Thanks
Old 15-05-2007, 17:26   #89
pedantic
Inactive

K9 Web Protection

A free alternative to parental control programs, such as Netnanny & Cybersitter.

Quote:
K9 Web Protection is our free Internet filtering and control solution for the home. K9 puts YOU in control of the Internet so you can protect your kids
Old 30-05-2007, 01:46   #90
pedantic
Inactive

Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.5

Quote:
Exclusive Computeractive Download Offer - Expires June 21, 2007

We’re giving you the full commercial version of Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.5, a full-featured disc creation program.
Original source