Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 26-02-2018, 20:01   #256
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Looks like sports streaming is starting to take off.

https://advanced-television.com/2018...aming-records/

Minority sports though (and presumably free)- time to crow when premier league or similar is being streamed.

If subscribing costs as much as the NRL streaming, starting next week (£22pm) I cannot see there being that many takers.
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2018, 04:45   #257
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Minority sports though (and presumably free)- time to crow when premier league or similar is being streamed.

If subscribing costs as much as the NRL streaming, starting next week (£22pm) I cannot see there being that many takers.
£22 for that they are indeed having a laugh.
Old 27-02-2018, 08:32   #258
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
£22 for that they are indeed having a laugh.
I continue to be amazed at the sums of money people are willing to pay to watch sport. And yet they do!
Old 27-02-2018, 10:22   #259
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I continue to be amazed at the sums of money people are willing to pay to watch sport. And yet they do!
I continue to be amazed by people that tell us there's nothing worth watching on the pay TV channels and it's all about streaming but who continue to subscribe and pay for Virgin TV.
Old 27-02-2018, 11:08   #260
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I continue to be amazed by people that tell us there's nothing worth watching on the pay TV channels and it's all about streaming but who continue to subscribe and pay for Virgin TV.
Yes l wonder who springs to mind.
Old 27-02-2018, 13:22   #261
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Well, I've never said that, and yet again, what I have said is either deliberately twisted, misremembered or not understood.

What I have said is that pay tv is poor value for money when you compare what's on there with terrestrial TV and streaming services.

As I have said more than once, I pay for the Sky channels to ensure that my wife and I don't miss out on the small number of shows that are worth watching. With the subscriptions pitched as high as they are, and the relatively small amount of watchable material on the non-premium Sky channels, I really think we are being ripped off. If the choice on Sky continues to deteriorate, I may well give up subscribing to this service, but at the moment I am waiting for developments that provide me with a better, comprehensive service, probably through cheaper or better value 'on demand' or new cloud options.
Old 27-02-2018, 16:57   #262
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Certainly not me, I like to watch NRL , I even subscribed to Premier Sports at £11pm to do so last year.

£22 to watch streamed content of 8 matches a week is taking the p!ss, at least Prem Sports had other content for half the price.

If this is the way streaming is taking us it certainly isn't a change for the better.
Old 27-02-2018, 17:55   #263
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Streaming services will only be able to charge silly prices when idiots will pay it.

Simple supply and demand.
Old 07-03-2018, 18:16   #264
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

This is an interesting response to the commercial free environment presented by OTT services. Fox is planning to reduce the number of commercial services on its channels to 2 minutes per hour!

Well, what do you know, we didn't see that coming!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/fox-pl...18-3?r=US&IR=T

Whereas some streaming services are moving in the opposite direction by adding commercials to their subscription service!

http://www.v-net.tv/2018/01/25/fubot...-programmatic/

The future looks interesting, but including commercials within subscription streaming services is unwelcome. Hopefully, this will not catch on.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 07-03-2018 at 18:21.
Old 07-03-2018, 20:40   #265
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
This is an interesting response to the commercial free environment presented by OTT services. Fox is planning to reduce the number of commercial services on its channels to 2 minutes per hour!

Well, what do you know, we didn't see that coming!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/fox-pl...18-3?r=US&IR=T

Whereas some streaming services are moving in the opposite direction by adding commercials to their subscription service!

http://www.v-net.tv/2018/01/25/fubot...-programmatic/

The future looks interesting, but including commercials within subscription streaming services is unwelcome. Hopefully, this will not catch on.

Possibly they are doing this to try to keep the monthly charge as low as possible. Which rather than being unwelcome is the opposite if they want people to subscribe
Old 08-03-2018, 07:54   #266
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Possibly they are doing this to try to keep the monthly charge as low as possible. Which rather than being unwelcome is the opposite if they want people to subscribe
Undoubtedly, but will the strategy work? They may gain customers due to the lower price but they will lose those who don't want to sit through commercials. They would certainly lose my custom if any streaming service I subscribed to decided to add compulsory advertisements.

I remain of the view that there should be a subscription option with no ads and a non-subscription (or low subscription) option with ads. That should draw in most people with interest in the service and produce bigger revenues.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:41   #267
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Undoubtedly, but will the strategy work? They may gain customers due to the lower price but they will lose those who don't want to sit through commercials. They would certainly lose my custom if any streaming service I subscribed to decided to add compulsory advertisements.

I remain of the view that there should be a subscription option with no ads and a non-subscription (or low subscription) option with ads. That should draw in most people with interest in the service and produce bigger revenues.

The option of a two-tier subscription model would offer the choice people may want, however would it attract enough advertisers?
Old 08-03-2018, 15:32   #268
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

It seems Netflix wont be adopting ads or a two tier approach, Reed Hastings pledges the service will never show ads (or bid for sports and news)

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8245701.html
Old 08-03-2018, 15:44   #269
denphone
Still alive and fighting

No surprise that they don't bid for sports as Amazon have very much realised generally..
Old 08-03-2018, 16:51   #270
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
It seems Netflix wont be adopting ads or a two tier approach, Reed Hastings pledges the service will never show ads (or bid for sports and news)

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8245701.html
Long may that policy continue!

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

Quote:
The option of a two-tier subscription model would offer the choice people may want, however would it attract enough advertisers?
It depends how many go for it, I guess. There must be a lot of people up and down the country who either cannot afford Netflix or who are hard wired not to pay for TV viewing.
Closed Thread