Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:42   #241
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Ok so not so difficult to get the pictures.

Will need a lot of subscribers to get near to breaking even.

Premier Plus, as I remember was 50 matches for £50. I cannot see many people paying more than £1.50 -£2 a game for a streamed match, especially with more football than ever on BT and Sky
Premier Plus was a major flop for SKY that lasted for a few seasons. A combination of poor games, unfavourable broadcast times and customers not willing to pay more killed off the concept.

It's these same factors that could make it a tough sell for Amazon if they win a package. It's likely SKY and BT would exercise their first, second and third match day picks to snap up each week's top fixtures leaving Amazon with some utter dross on a Tuesday or Wednesday day night. Subscribers who already have a subscription to both BT Sport and Sky Sports would be thinking "Do I really want to add a 3rd subscription to a service I can't even watch on my TV through my SKY / Virgin box for C and D level matches?"

How would Amazon even go about getting their games onto screens in pubs and other commercial premises? Kit them out with Fire TV and fast reliable broadband?
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2018, 09:35   #242
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Premier Plus was a major flop for SKY that lasted for a few seasons. A combination of poor games, unfavourable broadcast times and customers not willing to pay more killed off the concept.

It's these same factors that could make it a tough sell for Amazon if they win a package. It's likely SKY and BT would exercise their first, second and third match day picks to snap up each week's top fixtures leaving Amazon with some utter dross on a Tuesday or Wednesday day night. Subscribers who already have a subscription to both BT Sport and Sky Sports would be thinking "Do I really want to add a 3rd subscription to a service I can't even watch on my TV through my SKY / Virgin box for C and D level matches?"

How would Amazon even go about getting their games onto screens in pubs and other commercial premises? Kit them out with Fire TV and fast reliable broadband?
Fire TV shouldn't be a problem, but at the moment, fast, reliable broadband may be. This is why I think they may also create their own broadcast linear channels if they were to win this time around.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:40   #243
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Fire TV shouldn't be a problem, but at the moment, fast, reliable broadband may be. This is why I think they may also create their own broadcast linear channels if they were to win this time around.
That's a strange thought given your consistent long term stance on Linear channels.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:50   #244
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yeah I could see them doing that for commercial premises. At the moment streaming servic are very much geared towards home use.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:20   #245
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Personal view but I'm still not sold on these streaming services taking Premier League football , I do wonder if some of these stories have been floated from those with a vested interest. Wasn't one of the sources a Premier League Chairman ?
Old 05-01-2018, 10:25   #246
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That's a strange thought given your consistent long term stance on Linear channels.
There is no conflict here, Den. If our broadband infrastructure is not yet up to scratch and so many homes would not be able to stream football as a result, it makes sense to supplement the streaming service with broadcast linear channels pro tem.

Incidentally, it could even be that Amazon piggy back onto existing sports channels to maximise their audience share. There are lots of possibilities I can see here to overcome the existing problems that we have.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:26   #247
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Personal view but I'm still not sold on these streaming services taking Premier League football , I do wonder if some of these stories have been floated from those with a vested interest. Wasn't one of the sources a Premier League Chairman ?
That was one of the many thoughts l had MM.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:07   #248
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Exactly my feelings, it will be a difficult sell for 4th or 5th rate matches when you already have better games to watch - maybe a few punters who want to watch their favourite team but cannot see it being a big earner.

I know the companies mentioned can afford to run at a loss, but surely their goal is to make money off streaming after a couple of loss-leading years?

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That was one of the many thoughts l had MM.
Yes and Scudamore (CEO Premier League) plus OB of course
Old 05-01-2018, 12:11   #249
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Yes and Scudamore (CEO Premier League) plus OB of course
Of course one has to listen and learn from others and take in their great pearls of wisdom.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:55   #250
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Ok so not so difficult to get the pictures.

Will need a lot of subscribers to get near to breaking even.

Premier Plus, as I remember was 50 matches for £50. I cannot see many people paying more than £1.50 -£2 a game for a streamed match, especially with more football than ever on BT and Sky
I agree, what i think might happen is the big two SKY/BT will get all packs but someone like Amazon may get a highlights pack, this will enable Amazon to keep costs down or even possibly include it in prime video.
Old 05-01-2018, 16:08   #251
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

An interesting little article here about what to expect in 2018 and the growing interrelationships between the media giants.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/mcmedia-new-...rn-old-tricks/
Old 06-01-2018, 20:01   #252
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
An interesting little article here about what to expect in 2018 and the growing interrelationships between the media giants.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/mcmedia-new-...rn-old-tricks/
Interesting point in that article (amongst others)
Quote:
Re-invention of ad technology.

Hat tip to Sky on this one, ad smart was with us in 2014, but we’re going to see ad insertion in the linear broadcast stream move into the mainstream in 2018 as commercial broadcasters seek to wrest back control of delivery of commercial impacts, with household level targeting backed by real time data. YouView will trial this end to end this year and the winds of changing are blowing already – BT announced this week that Channel 4 Media are replacing Google as providers of BT Sport’s online targeted ad delivery.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 13-02-2018, 13:51   #253
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

This is an interesting development from the BBC.

http://www.a516digital.com/2018/02/b...onditions.html

The documentation relating to the future distribution of content states:

'The BBC expects that over the course of the Charter period it will continue to deliver value to audiences through broadcast services – which still make up the majority of BBC consumption – while preparing for a future where all content experiences are delivered over the internet. Given the increasing pace of change, the BBC needs to prepare for that future to arrive early in the next Charter period. The transition to internet delivery of BBC services creates opportunities for the BBC to offer richer, more targeted experiences for audiences (see below) and new ways of bringing the nation and communities together, while also avoiding the duplicative costs of broadcast. However, it also comes with additional strategic challenges, above all, ensuring the BBC’s public service mission can still be effectively delivered on new connected platforms.'

This appears to lend credence to the theory I have promoted on my linear tv threads that broadcast channels are likely to be a thing of the past within the next couple of decades. If the BBC expects delivery of its programmes by internet only within the next 20 years, this gives me much more confidence in championing that opinion. My thinking until now was that the BBC would be the last to stop broadcasting in the conventional way.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 13-02-2018 at 13:56.
Old 13-02-2018, 14:45   #254
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
This is an interesting development from the BBC.

http://www.a516digital.com/2018/02/b...onditions.html

The documentation relating to the future distribution of content states:

'The BBC expects that over the course of the Charter period it will continue to deliver value to audiences through broadcast services – which still make up the majority of BBC consumption – while preparing for a future where all content experiences are delivered over the internet. Given the increasing pace of change, the BBC needs to prepare for that future to arrive early in the next Charter period. The transition to internet delivery of BBC services creates opportunities for the BBC to offer richer, more targeted experiences for audiences (see below) and new ways of bringing the nation and communities together, while also avoiding the duplicative costs of broadcast. However, it also comes with additional strategic challenges, above all, ensuring the BBC’s public service mission can still be effectively delivered on new connected platforms.'

This appears to lend credence to the theory I have promoted on my linear tv threads that broadcast channels are likely to be a thing of the past within the next couple of decades. If the BBC expects delivery of its programmes by internet only within the next 20 years, this gives me much more confidence in championing that opinion. My thinking until now was that the BBC would be the last to stop broadcasting in the conventional way.
Freeview broadcasting IMO has a limited life span , the air waves are already being cleared for 5G.
Old 26-02-2018, 18:58   #255
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Looks like sports streaming is starting to take off.

https://advanced-television.com/2018...aming-records/
Closed Thread