Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 14:22   #226
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree! There's more decent material on Netflix than all the Sky channels put together (sport excluded of course)!
I agree. I think Netflix are in a stronger position than Sky channels in terms of airing new content, with the possible exception of Sky Atalantic (not in my eyes though). IMHO Netflix do not need to fill time slots on various channels, whereas Sky do. As such I think the Sky channels have to rubber stamp some pretty poor series just to fill the time slots and also try and chase ratings. Whilst Netflix will also want new content, I think they can be considerably more choosy with the new content they will help to fund as they have no time slots to fill. They have no real need to worry about subscriptions (viewing figures) because they have already built up a strong fanbase already and have garnered considerable profits. The result is Netflix (with its movie selection and considerable on demand content) will continue to grow stronger and stronger, whilst Sky will struggle with acquiring decent new content and rely more and more on movies and sports - both of which will come under considerable pressure from the next round of bidding wars.
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2014, 14:45   #227
Rabb
cf.member

Services: VIP Package
Rabb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You also can't have any loyalty discounts on your account.
gonna look into this at weekend. any 1 know if this apply's to ppl, that work for VM & already get reduction ?? or is loyalty discount something diff all together ??
Old 08-01-2014, 15:21   #228
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Hopefully the relationship Netflix has with AMC will grow in future and perhaps other channels will get on board. Getting Breaking Bad and The Killing on Netflix hours after they aired in the US last year was great, no need to pirate them at all then This year we have the BB spin-off Better Call Saul in the same way so the relationship is still there and they couldn't have chosen a better channel to get in bed with. AMC are right up there with HBO these days for dramas IMO.
Old 08-01-2014, 16:06   #229
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
I agree. I think Netflix are in a stronger position than Sky channels in terms of airing new content, with the possible exception of Sky Atalantic (not in my eyes though). IMHO Netflix do not need to fill time slots on various channels, whereas Sky do. As such I think the Sky channels have to rubber stamp some pretty poor series just to fill the time slots and also try and chase ratings. Whilst Netflix will also want new content, I think they can be considerably more choosy with the new content they will help to fund as they have no time slots to fill. They have no real need to worry about subscriptions (viewing figures) because they have already built up a strong fanbase already and have garnered considerable profits. The result is Netflix (with its movie selection and considerable on demand content) will continue to grow stronger and stronger, whilst Sky will struggle with acquiring decent new content and rely more and more on movies and sports - both of which will come under considerable pressure from the next round of bidding wars.
Sky has already stated their aim is to become less and less reliant on having to acquire content , they've pledged to increase spending on homegrown content to £600 million a year by the end of this year they've also created content with numerous worldwide broadcasters such as Canal + , Cinemax (HBO) , Showtime and NBC.

In September 2013 eight of its top ten shows were made and commissioned by Sky , clearly content is subjective however I think they'll continue along this path of having a mix of homegrown content along with US acquisitions.

Netflix will continue with its original content whilst innovating with its technology in my opinion.
Old 08-01-2014, 16:52   #230
nicknewark
Inactive

Services: V6 Tivo, Virgin BB, Freesat, NowTV. PS4 Pro
nicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation era

I think Dracula was one of their latest series, what a load of rubbish.
Old 08-01-2014, 17:02   #231
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
In September 2013 eight of its top ten shows were made and commissioned by Sky.
Any idea what those 10 shows are, and which are the 8 commissioned by Sky?
Old 08-01-2014, 17:13   #232
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknewark View Post
In your opinion, my daughters and wife love it.
Old 08-01-2014, 17:25   #233
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknewark View Post
I actually wasn't that keen myself but as I said all content is subjective. There's many on here watch the likes of EastEnders , Big Brother , I'm a celebrity personally I couldn't think of anything worse but in a multichannel world that's the beauty of choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Any idea what those 10 shows are, and which are the 8 commissioned by Sky?
All available on the Sky Views website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
In your opinion, my daughters and wife love it.
Thanks that proves my original point content is subjective.
Old 08-01-2014, 17:49   #234
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Indeed it is as l cannot believe the rubbish some people watch but if we all had the same tastes then life would be very boring.
Old 08-01-2014, 18:09   #235
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Just started watching The Riches
Old 08-01-2014, 18:23   #236
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Sky has already stated their aim is to become less and less reliant on having to acquire content , they've pledged to increase spending on homegrown content to £600 million a year by the end of this year they've also created content with numerous worldwide broadcasters such as Canal + , Cinemax (HBO) , Showtime and NBC.

In September 2013 eight of its top ten shows were made and commissioned by Sky , clearly content is subjective however I think they'll continue along this path of having a mix of homegrown content along with US acquisitions.

Netflix will continue with its original content whilst innovating with its technology in my opinion.
You should work for Sky's media relations.

Just because Sky are aiming to make it's own content, does not mean it will be any better than some of the guff (imo) they are churning out now. It may well be high quality content that is made in the future, but I simply do not see it. Netflix may also produce complete dross in future.

My point was that Netflix can be more selective of what is perceived as better content in future than Sky because they do not have fill schedules on various channels. Netflix can wait for a long time before accepting a new script/program, Sky will have to a pick the best of a bad bunch because they have to fill schedules and generate money through advertising revenues.

Also, it really does not matter who Sky produce content with, it is not a guarantee of quality. They could work with the original producers/writers/directors of The Killing to get a British remake, does not mean it will be any good.
Old 08-01-2014, 18:25   #237
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

All available on the Sky Views website.
Yeah; that's the very first site I look at, each and every day
Old 08-01-2014, 18:40   #238
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
They couldn't afford me
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Yeah; that's the very first site I look at, each and every day
You did ask it was all over the web news sites the other month with a link to the source.
Old 08-01-2014, 18:51   #239
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Details on the Scifi series the Wachowski brothers are making for Netflix are coming out now http://www.tvrage.com/news/8917/deta...riginal-sense8

Should be good with them and the guy who made Babylon 5 behind it.
Old 08-01-2014, 18:57   #240
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Just because Sky are aiming to make it's own content, does not mean it will be any better than some of the guff (imo) they are churning out now. It may well be high quality content that is made in the future, but I simply do not see it. Netflix may also produce complete dross in future.

My point was that Netflix can be more selective of what is perceived as better content in future than Sky because they do not have fill schedules on various channels. Netflix can wait for a long time before accepting a new script/program, Sky will have to a pick the best of a bad bunch because they have to fill schedules and generate money through advertising revenues.

Also, it really does not matter who Sky produce content with, it is not a guarantee of quality. They could work with the original producers/writers/directors of The Killing to get a British remake, does not mean it will be any good.
The way things are going, Sky had to consider a different way of operating in the future. Having been slow to get off the ground with VOD, it now realises that this is the way to go.

But they want also to keep their channels going for as long as possible, and with the increasing competition for US content, they made the right call in deciding to commission their own material.

If they can come up with good cutting edge dramas like Strike Back, things will definitely improve, but as you say, they will still have to fill in hours of scheduling, which will continue to be filled with dross because it's cheap.
Closed Thread