Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Oscar Nominations 2019

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Oscar Nominations 2019

Old 22-01-2019, 15:16   #1
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Oscar Nominations 2019

The Favourite and Roma are front runners with 10 nominations each.

Black Panther becomes the first superhero film nominated for Best Picture. It has 7 nominations in all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46960562

Quote:
Olivia Colman's period comedy-drama The Favourite and Netflix's black-and-white epic Roma lead this year's Oscar race, with 10 nominations each.

The other contenders include A Star Is Born and Vice with eight each, followed by Black Panther with seven.

Black Panther is the first superhero movie to be nominated for best picture.
Colman is among the British acting nominees, alongside her co-star Rachel Weisz and Christian Bale for Vice.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2019, 16:06   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Oscar Nominations 2019

l would say the odds on Black Panther winning a Oscar for Best Picture are not good.

Betting odds on Best Picture

Quote:
Roma
1/1

Green Book
10/3

A Star is Born
11/2

The Favourite
9/1

BlackKKlansman
10/1

Bohemian Rhapsody
14/1

Black Panther
33/1

Vice
40/1
Old 22-01-2019, 18:21   #3
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I hope Roma wins personally so those odds are decent. Black Panther is pretty undeserving of being the first superhero film. I thought just this year Spiderman was better and in previous years A Dark Knight and Logan would be better contenders.
Old 22-01-2019, 18:40   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l have not seen Roma yet but it obviously has a very good chance of winning Best Picture as The Academy tends not to award The Best Picture to the very populist mainstream blockbusters as the last one to win Best Picture was The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
Old 23-01-2019, 20:58   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Unfortunately I think this year is going to be an absolute farce and mockery of the whole awards process and spoil it for people who genuinely deserve it. Hollywood is going to be out to make a political statement big time and Roma will win a tonne of Oscars and we'll get tonnes of speeches about the border wall, Trump and inclusivity. Similarly Black Panther will be all about black actors, female actors and black directors.

That being said I am delighted Black Panther has been nominated as much as it has and I hope it wins in every category. It isn't that I think the film necessarily deserves to win per se but it represents the popular vote and superhero films as a whole. I am not going to say it is more deserving than the other nominees at the moment because I haven't seen all the films but when I have I'll come back like I did last year and make a list of who I want to win and who I think is going to win in the main categories.

I have made a summary table below of the nominees to save you scrolling endlessly through lists on websites:

In previous years there has been a large number of nominated films across the categories, I think I have had 22 films to watch at one point. This year seems more constrained and the same films are nominated in each category. If you are like me and like to watch the main contenders I have narrowed them down to the 12 in the list below:

A Star is Born Trailer
At Eternitys Gate Trailer
Blackkklansman Trailer
Black Panther Trailer
Bohemian Rhapsody Trailer
Can You Ever Forgive Me Trailer
The Favourite Trailer
Green Book Trailer
If Beale Street Could Talk Trailer
Roma Trailer
Vice Trailer
The Wife Trailer

There are a few others like Ready Player One, Solo and Incredibles 2 but I am sure most of us have seen them already.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 21:33   #6
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Hollywood is going to be out to make a political statement big time and Roma will win a tonne of Oscars and we'll get tonnes of speeches about the border wall, Trump and inclusivity. Similarly Black Panther will be all about black actors, female actors and black directors.
Other than being set in Mexico there is little to connect Roma to the border wall. Roma doesn't really concern itself with modern day politics and is hyper-focused on the family and the maid that the films about. In fact one nice element of the film is how you see Mexico go under change but it's almost entirely happening in the background of the story. I also like films that took risks and to go from Gravity to a black and white film in a foreign language was a big one for Cuarón. Roma is probably the front runner looking at the odds and I would be happy for it to win.

Other than that I hope Coleman wins Best Actress and Spiderman best animated film.
Old 23-01-2019, 21:48   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Other than being set in Mexico there is little to connect Roma to the border wsll
It doesnt need to. It will win just because it is a Mexican film and it will be used as a patsy to preach about the wall, trump and the government shutdown.
Old 23-01-2019, 22:14   #8
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

I think it's unfair, it's genuinely a lovely film. The most direct Trump bashing film is Blackkklansman. I haven't seen Green Book or Vice yet but it's the best film in that list IMO. Some of the other contenders are weak. I am surprised Leave No Trace got no nominations at all for example. I think Roma will win, even more sure it'll win best Director and Cinematography. It's so well shot.

I think The Favourite might end up with very few wins despite it's nominations though.
Old 23-01-2019, 22:24   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

I'll let you know what i think when i have seen them.
Old 19-02-2019, 20:51   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Old 19-02-2019, 22:20   #11
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

I've seen all the Best Picture nominees aside from A Star is Born (which I don't care about) and it's really weak list this year. I think Roma and The Favourite are the only films that should be in that list.
Old 19-02-2019, 22:45   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

I disagree. I have still got At Eternitys Gate, Blackkklansman, Can You Ever Forgive Me and If Beale Street Coukd Talk to Watch so i wont cast final judgement just yet but i thought Roma was absolute crap and by far the worst on the list. Tbh i think it is a joke it has been nominated for anything at all and i would nominate it for worst film of the year. Other than Black Panther, my favourite out of the nominees is The Green Book.
Old 19-02-2019, 23:05   #13
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I disagree. I have still got At Eternitys Gate, Blackkklansman, Can You Ever Forgive Me and If Beale Street Coukd Talk to Watch so i wont cast final judgement just yet but i thought Roma was absolute crap and by far the worst on the list. Tbh i think it is a joke it has been nominated for anything at all and i would nominate it for worst film of the year. Other than Black Panther, my favourite out of the nominees is The Green Book.
I am just talking about the Best Picture nominees. Beale Street should have been on there. Leave No Trace too. Shoplifters. Lots of weird films left off. Widows. I mean Vice is a mess of a film IMO.

I completely disagree on Roma. May I ask why you disliked it so much? I can see why it wouldn't be a lot of people's film of the year but worst film of the year is harsh and I haven't seen anyone say it shouldn't be nominated for anything. Even it's few critics would concede the nominations for cinematography and foreign film. In terms of technical film making it's very good.

Last edited by Damien; 19-02-2019 at 23:29.
Old 20-02-2019, 09:11   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
May I ask why you disliked it so much? Even it's few critics would concede the nominations for cinematography and foreign film.
It is an absolute snooze fest and a boring black and white soap. All the way through it I was looking at the clock watching the time tick away and asking myself why on earth it was made. I actually wish it was released at the cinema and not on Netflix because nobody would pay to go and see it and it would have been trashed. Who wants to watch one minute of a car slowly trying to drive into a corridor, reversing, changing gear and then trying again? Or what felt like 5 minutes of opening credits of somebody scrubbing a floor and water going down a drain? Yes you can say it was a nice family story but there wasn't anything special about it. I am sure you could make a million films like that because that dynamic and those circumstance are happening all over the world every day. Do you want to make a film about me getting up and going to work today. You add in some depression, I woke up this morning to find out I haven't won the euro millions, gaming night has been cancelled tomorrow and I think we should have a 30 minute scene shot from multiple angles of me in the kitchen tonight going through all the cupboards, fridge and freezer in deep contemplation pondering what I should have for tea.......and wait for it........after all that I am going to order dominos pizza. And maybe while I am on the phone I'll have a flirty chat with the girl on the end of the phone and for a brief moment you'll see a different side of me. Oh my god! I don't mind it getting best foreign language film but anything more than that is outrageous and to be honest makes a mockery of the awards season. I wonder argue that it would deter film makers from making good films when rubbish like that is made but luckily they have another incentive. They know that if they make good films people will actually pay to go and see them and that is a reward in itself.

In contrast, I watched Green Book afterwards and I watched it as I would a normal film, was interested in the story and characters and wanted to see what happened.

Last edited by General Maximus; 20-02-2019 at 09:14.
Old 20-02-2019, 11:16   #15
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
It is an absolute snooze fest and a boring black and white soap. All the way through it I was looking at the clock watching the time tick away and asking myself why on earth it was made. I actually wish it was released at the cinema and not on Netflix because nobody would pay to go and see it and it would have been trashed.
I was lucky and did see at the cinema. Remember a lot of the critics and film festival circles would have seen it in such a format too. I think it's worth seeing at the cinema because of the quality of the shots.

Quote:
Who wants to watch one minute of a car slowly trying to drive into a corridor, reversing, changing gear and then trying again? Or what felt like 5 minutes of opening credits of somebody scrubbing a floor and water going down a drain? Yes you can say it was a nice family story but there wasn't anything special about it.
It is a very slow film so I can see why people wouldn't take to it. It's not a film I've been recommending to everyone like I have with Stan & Ollie for example.

Quote:
I am sure you could make a million films like that because that dynamic and those circumstance are happening all over the world every day. Do you want to make a film about me getting up and going to work today.
It's meant to be a portrayal of a life though. Not an epic story. One thing I liked is how a lot of stuff was happening in the background whilst the story focused on the breakdown of the marriage, the life of Cleo and the relationship between them. This is an entire genre, slice of life films, which are not new although typically more popular in art-house and foreign cinema. Although considering quite a bit does happen to the characters here it's borderline. Shoplifters was similar in that nothing much happens as such, at least not until the end, as was Leave No Trace. Both films that I felt should have got more recognition. (Although Shoplifters has a foreign film nod and won at Cannes).

But yeah, different tastes and so on. I liked Green Book too. The only films I would be unhappy to see win would be Vice or Bohemian Rhapsody. I also think A Star is Born was made just to win Oscars.