Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Linksys & Ntl 10Meg SUX

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Linksys & Ntl 10Meg SUX

Old 27-06-2006, 22:45   #1
Coolur
Inactive

Coolur is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL 10Meg Speed With Router

Hi All

After upgrading to NTL 10Meg I have been dissapointed to discover that the speed has only ever managed 5 to 6Meg's max...

My tests have revealed that the culprit for the somewhat crippled 10Meg connection were down to my Linksys BEFSR81 V2 Router.... Take the Router out of line and up pop the speeds to 8/10 Meg.

I have looked through various posts regards what is a good router for use on 10Meg and see reference to other Linksys & Dlink products that work reliable.

I am going to presume that the problem with the Linksys BEFSR81 is that its WAN socket can not manage 10Meg!

Also I have looked at the config settings for the router and see no means of improving matters so I want to buy something that will work and be stable to.

What Router are you using on NTL 10Meg and do you get both near max speeds as well as stability with your router?

A router with Wireless access would be ok for me to as I have a Laptop thats equipped!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to comment.

Regards

Andy
Coolur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2006, 00:25   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: NTL 10Meg Speed With Router

to Cable Forum

Many users of Cable Forum seem to favour the linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS series of wireless router. Realistically any router desiigned to support the g standard wireless should have a WAN ethernet port capable fo the 10meg (or perhaps higher) internet connection.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 10:40   #3
micken
Inactive

micken is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL 10Meg Speed With Router

The problem on the WRT54GS seems to be configuring the router to allow any LAN or WLAN connection to achieve the full 10MB. I am researching this and playing with settings. I know that I get reliable and consistent download and upload speeds that approach the maximum for a 10MB connection whith one pc directly connected to the cable modem.

On initial set up I seemed to have 2MB+ download and 470KB upload from both wired and wifi connected pc's. I now have 4MB+ download and 200KB upload on all pc's. If I take the router out of the equation and wire a pc directly to the modem I get the full 10MB service.

My challenge is to get the full 10MB through the router to all pc's and I'm looking at Quality of Service information and researching as much as I can.

There are loads of threads on the forum at www.linksysinfo.org relating to this issue. Very few definitive comments and answers though.
micken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 14:27   #4
Coolur
Inactive

[Merged] Linksys & Ntl 10Meg SUX

Lo Guys

Having upgraded to NTL 10 Meg I was dissapointed to discover that my Linksys BEFSR81 V2 router would only operate at 5.5 to 6 meg max, whilst a direct connection from modem to PC gave me near max speeds.

Well having read various messages in the Forum regards routers that were good for 10Meg Broadband I have ordered the WRT54GS.

Now I feel that I have made a bad move and Linksys somewhat sux's!

Whilst pondering over the new router arriving I decided to speak to a technical support guy at Linksys and to my horror he informed me that all of the Linksys range of router products (inc Befsr81) are limited to 6Meg throughput (WAN to LAN speed) and that I would get no improvement with a WRT54GS !!!!

I think its safe to say that I have been somewhat clumsy with my purchasing decision and as yet I am still no further on in finding a Cable router that does produce near max throuput speeds!

Hopefully this post may put a few people straight on the issue of 10 Meg broadband via routers, it will be interesting to read the replies to!

Regards

Andy
Old 28-06-2006, 14:51   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Linksys SUX

I installed that Model of Linksys at a mate's house for them last week and it was managing 10MBit just fine...
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 15:05   #6
Mr J
Inactive

Services: NTL 10mb
Mr J is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a WRT54G and I know a few other people on here have this router and manage 10mbit no probs.

I get a nice health 1180 KB/ps from my newsgroups.
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 15:55   #7
micken
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J
I have a WRT54G and I know a few other people on here have this router and manage 10mbit no probs.

I get a nice health 1180 KB/ps from my newsgroups.
1180KB=1.18MB, is that download through one port, and are we talking bytes or bits?

There seems to be a full range of speeds that people achieve with this router, but no definitive answers about achieving the higher speeds.

I'm wondering if the appropriate settings are any more apparent in alternative frameware.

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

I mean't firmware of course
Old 28-06-2006, 15:57   #8
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

The uppercase KB implies BYTES, not bits so this is equal to 9.4mb, sounds pretty reasonable to me.
I am only on 4mb with my Linksys WRT54G so I cant comment on mine, however, I know several people using the exact same router as me on 10mb with no problems.
Though If you plan to use p2p you will need to install a 3rd party firmware to stop all the port forwarding problems.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 16:18   #9
micken
Inactive

I can confirm that I'm getting 9.4mb with just one pc connected directly to the cable modem, it's a stable and consistent connection.

Just can't get the throughput with the router connected and can't figure how?
Old 28-06-2006, 16:20   #10
Mr J
Inactive

Services: NTL 10mb
Mr J is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by micken
1180KB=1.18MB, is that download through one port, and are we talking bytes or bits?

There seems to be a full range of speeds that people achieve with this router, but no definitive answers about achieving the higher speeds.

I'm wondering if the appropriate settings are any more apparent in alternative frameware.

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

I mean't firmware of course
yes I am talking about speeds of 1.18MB/ps, sometime get's a bit higher going up to 1.2 odd.

I have the WRT54G router pluged plugged in to a 10/100 switch with my DC connected, 2 XP pro machines and a linux box on there as well. I also have 2 laptops connected wireless and all run fine and dandy.

Now obviously I do not have everything running at the same time, not enough fingers and toes to press all the buttons, but the only time I see speeds decrease is when a few machines are downloading at the same time which is pretty obvious as the bandwith is shared between them all.

I'm thinking about looking in to the DD-WRT firmware that is available and flashing my router, but that's a project for another day!!
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 16:33   #11
micken
Inactive

Thanks for clarification Mr J.

I'm going to post on www.linksysinfo.org where there seems to be lots of info. Have done exhaustive research there but few answers. Hopefully one of their gurus will have a suggestion, or two.

Regards

Mick
Old 28-06-2006, 19:27   #12
TW_BUS_DATA_TECH

The WRT54G has a 10/100 full-duplex DSL port meaning that it can easily handle the cable modems highest speed. The BEFSR81 only has a 10Mb port and also will only operate at Half-duplex meaning the best you will ever get is between 6 / 7Mb.

I have been using a WRT54G for ages and works absolutley fine for 10Mb Broadband.

Hope this helps,
Old 28-06-2006, 22:43   #13
micken
Inactive

[quote=I have been using a WRT54G for ages and works absolutley fine for 10Mb Broadband.[/quote]

Any comments or advice on settings?

Regards

Mick
Old 29-06-2006, 14:58   #14
Coolur
Inactive

Update on Linksys & 10Meg

Hi all....

Today I received my Linksys WRT54GS V5.1 and my tests so far have revealed a big improvement over the BEFS81 router I was using...

DESPITE what Linksys technical support had told me regards all there router products being limited to 6Meg I can conclude this is not true!

There is a small reduction in speed on my 10Meg NTL connection via the router inline but I am able to see throuput speeds in excess of 8Meg.

I think its now fair to say that Linksys tech support Sux!

Regards

Andy
Old 29-06-2006, 19:49   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Merged] Linksys & Ntl 10Meg SUX

That router is perfect and can manage FAR more than 10mbit. Good choice.

No reduction in speed for me using that router as im always maxed out.