Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Want ADSL?-Read on....

Old 29-11-2003, 21:25   #16
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Great, we'll end up with a NTL forum with no NTL customers :p
downquark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-11-2003, 21:39   #17
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellwear
I'm so grateful for all the info Neil, I'm going to call BT on Monday, I'm so fed up with Ntl, time to dump the lot I think. If I take Pipex I'll put you down as my referrer
You can call these free phone numbers BT Customer Options Team 0800 800 880 or 0800 085 2786 (alternative numbers to 0808 100 5152) so you dont have to pay for the call to defect

If you wish to keep your existing NTL phone number ask whoever you speak to check with the Number Port people a few NTL phone numbers cannot be transfered.

Who owns the best looking adsl modem?
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2003, 21:45   #18
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
Because Neil and Steve H have moved to pipex from NTL
Nevermind - obviously the rules appear to have changed recently - like a thread I was reading earlier from someone with an NTL BB problem - Neil seemed more interesting in advising them how to jump ship rather than offering any NTL related help.

http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=4703

How times change ......

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2003, 23:09   #19
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem
Nevermind - obviously the rules appear to have changed recently - like a thread I was reading earlier from someone with an NTL BB problem - Neil seemed more interesting in advising them how to jump ship rather than offering any NTL related help.

How times change ......
Can you blame him, after all they have done to ruin the other site!

But you are right, times do change, and Ntl will prolly wake up soon and find no customers. As Mr Pratchett one wrote, there's "Interesting times ahead".
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 00:32   #20
Hell Fighter
(Invalid eMail, Account Suspended)

Hell Fighter is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having my BT Line activated for 2 meg broadband in the next 10 days providing the line is up to scratch.

Hopefully the whole process will go okay
Hell Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 02:08   #21
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem

How times change ......
There is no rule saying you must stick with NTL as a provider to help on this site.. Neil provided an option as a solution to the problem that vaiolator had experienced.
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 03:51   #22
carlingman
Inactive

carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal
carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem

How times change ......
Just to clarify a few things I believe Neil changed providers when he was still with NTL according to his first post saying he would rather pay for a connection that works rather than having a subsidised connection that is unreliable.

As for advertising to jump ship well maybe so he is allowed to suggest free speech here as he is not on the payroll for NTL anymore.

Things do change and this is classic example of that.

He obviously had the same views over at .com and was not allowed to speak his true feelings as he was being paid by them and had to appear to be offering help.

To me it smacks of double standards but at least here this site will not be silenced by NTL and all can speak their mind which is a positive move forward but there are still people around who will help rather than give the answer to jump ship.

Myself I would advise to move on to another provider but then again I am biest as i have been with Piepx for some time now and they rock.

As for the comments about their services mentioned elsewhere i myself am not too bothered about those as i have never had to contact them as their service has been faultless up to now.

carlingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 09:33   #23
th'engineer
Inactive

Services: up to 30 MEG CF version of Peter Kay
th'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to th'engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1
Great, we'll end up with a NTL forum with no NTL customers :p
Dont be daft NTL will keep bringing in more members by consistantly providing a crap service
th'engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 15:22   #24
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Fighter
I'm having my BT Line activated for 2 meg broadband in the next 10 days providing the line is up to scratch.

Hopefully the whole process will go okay

Just out of interest, who are you getting your BB through? I'm seriously looking at the Bulldog off peak one, luckily the exchange I'm likely to be connected to is Bulldog enabled (what ever that means ).
Old 30-11-2003, 15:31   #25
Bill Payer
Inactive

Bill Payer can only hope to improve

[QUOTE=pem]Can I just ask why a thread on Pipex ADSL is in the NTL discussion forum ?[/]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
Because Neil and Steve H have moved to pipex from NTL
If I change from NTL to SKY can I start a thread in "General ntl Discussion "?
Bill Payer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 16:16   #26
th'engineer
Inactive

Services: up to 30 MEG CF version of Peter Kay
th'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to th'engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Payer
If I change from NTL to SKY can I start a thread in "General ntl Discussion "?
Thought we had done that and agreed Sky is better
th'engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 16:51   #27
rodd
Permanently Banned

rodd will become famous soon enoughrodd will become famous soon enoughrodd will become famous soon enough

Demonstrating and spelling out, how easy and trouble-free it is for customers to change their services, could be one of the most effective ways to make ntl improve their services.

It is often the customers' inertia and apprehension of hassle that holds back customers from switching service providers. This is something that ntl relies upon, they hardly want all their customers knowing how easy it is, or they will all likely be changing.

Showing customers, the ease that a change can be made, will help customers to make the change, and will encourage ntl to improve. It will also make ntl take more notice of this site, as they seem to be of the opinion that we can be ignored.
To quote Ashg - we could close the site down, ride out a few weeks bad press and quietly ignore the many protest sites and alternative sites that would undoubtedly spring up. But that's actually the easy way out. End-quote.

This type of thread adds to the effective impact that this site will have on ntl, and strengthens our hand. We need more of it.
rodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 19:26   #28
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellwear
Just out of interest, who are you getting your BB through? I'm seriously looking at the Bulldog off peak one, luckily the exchange I'm likely to be connected to is Bulldog enabled (what ever that means ).
I did look @ Bulldog Dell, but I didn't/don't like the idea of being locked into a 12 month contract.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 19:41   #29
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

How much does adsl cost now per month?

£10 for the line and about £20 for a 512k line?

Wan't extra upload speed really and dont need 1mb at the minute, ntl really need to make some new services and tiers.
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 19:44   #30
Shaun
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I did look @ Bulldog Dell, but I didn't/don't like the idea of being locked into a 12 month contrac.
I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do in January when my contract is up, I'm so desperate to get away from Ntl now, just really fed up with the whole thing, but (and you knew there would be one!) after speaking to BT, they want 74.99 GBP to install a new line.

Which is a bit of a bummer seeing as the line is here and we're connected to the exchange (the whole estate was done by BT and NTL when built 3 years ago) but they want 75 quid to switch it on.

On top of that any of the decent ISPs want about 50GBP activation and that's before I even consider buying a modem. I know if i want to pay a little more each month (and go for a not so good ISP) I can get the modem included but I really wanted an internal one (not really that much of a problem there not that expensive 30GBP ish).

Its all beginning to mount up, but saying that the bulldog off-peak 2Mbps tariff is really enticing (29.99GBP atm).

The 12 month contract isn;t too much of a worry for me, but the install fee is

I guess I've got a little while to make my mind up, but I wonder if I can sweet talk BT into dropping the (non)installation charge?