Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New box on Saturday

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New box on Saturday

Old 17-07-2020, 10:01   #31
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
Re: New box on Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Are you using the VM SuperHub or your own router with a different DNS?
I'm using the VM SuperHub in modem mode, my own Netgear router but with default DNS settings. The program graphics work fine on the discovery bar, and in the panel - it's literally just the channel graphic on recorded programs.

Another poster mentioned the PQ, we'd also agree something is better. Our TV maxes at 1080p, but the old TiVo only went upto 1080i. If I use the auto-setup, the box ticks 720p, 1080i & 1080p. But it seems to work well with only 1080p ticked.

Live TV is presumably upscaled from 1080i to 1080p, and pictures do seem slightly sharper & clearer. I think even SD looks a little better.
HD-VOD happily streams at 1080p and is hard to tell from live TV. Similar for iPlayer.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2020, 12:47   #32
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It may be worth checking the router DNS still. I tried changing my router to use a faster DNS.
Operation of TiVo was fine except for the misising channels icons.
In the end I used the VM DMS on the router and use DNS settings on the required devices.
DNS for VM should be 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

I think the best output settings for your tv would be both 1080p and 1080p passthru set on.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 13:03   #33
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
It may be worth checking the router DNS still. I tried changing my router to use a faster DNS.
Operation of TiVo was fine except for the misising channels icons.
In the end I used the VM DMS on the router and use DNS settings on the required devices.
DNS for VM should be 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

I think the best output settings for your tv would be both 1080p and 1080p passthru set on.
It's a good point.. the router is set to "get DNS automatically", but primary & secondary are set to VM ones (I've not done this) but are greyed out. So, as best I can tell, the only other tweak would be to forcibly set what's already happening anyway.

Thanks for the pointer re the passthru, that's something else to try!
Old 17-07-2020, 14:28   #34
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

May be worth checking the secruity settings on the router. Maybe a port is blocked which doesn't need to be.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

Something else worth a try to prove the issue - connect the V6 to the SH3 in router mode and do two network callbacks.

This may prove where the issue lies.
Old 17-07-2020, 14:57   #35
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'm sure Spiderplant has said in the past that some features of the V6 only play well with the Virgin Media DNS servers.

If you route out via a 3rd party DNS then that breaks the 'internal' chain of connections to the VM network.
Old 17-07-2020, 15:49   #36
ozsat
cf.mega poster

He did - but the user says they have not changed away from the default DNS - so something else is blocking the chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I'm sure Spiderplant has said in the past that some features of the V6 only play well with the Virgin Media DNS servers.

If you route out via a 3rd party DNS then that breaks the 'internal' chain of connections to the VM network.
Old 18-07-2020, 11:31   #37
japitts
cf.geek

Quote:
May be worth checking the secruity settings on the router. Maybe a port is blocked which doesn't need to be.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

Something else worth a try to prove the issue - connect the V6 to the SH3 in router mode and do two network callbacks.

This may prove where the issue lies.
Eureka!!

Disabled the modem mode, moved the V6 Ethernet to the SH3 and immediately on calling back, the channel logos appeared.

Re-enabled modem mode and swapped the cables back, VOD & callbacks work (thus proving the connection), but the logos disappear from recorded programs.
Old 18-07-2020, 11:46   #38
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

I agree that sounds like a blocked port. But I don't know which one it requires. The built-in Port Configuration Test won't help much as it's designed for US TiVos and often fails even on a fully-working setup.

This page may give you some clues, but again it is intended for the US market and isn't necessarily correct for VM boxes:
https://support.tivo.com/articles/Tr...ng-my-TiVo-DVR
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 16:27   #39
japitts
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I agree that sounds like a blocked port. But I don't know which one it requires. The built-in Port Configuration Test won't help much as it's designed for US TiVos and often fails even on a fully-working setup.

This page may give you some clues, but again it is intended for the US market and isn't necessarily correct for VM boxes:
https://support.tivo.com/articles/Tr...ng-my-TiVo-DVR
After a few pokes and prods, it's starting to look like my "no channel logos in my shows" issue is something queer with my Netgear (WNDR3700) router.

It's going a bit beyond my area of expertise, but I'm pretty sure I've "unblocked" all the relevant and required ports - but alas still the same unless I disable modem mode and connect V6 to the SH3 directly.

Oh well.
Old 20-07-2020, 17:21   #40
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
After a few pokes and prods, it's starting to look like my "no channel logos in my shows" issue is something queer with my Netgear (WNDR3700) router.

It's going a bit beyond my area of expertise, but I'm pretty sure I've "unblocked" all the relevant and required ports - but alas still the same unless I disable modem mode and connect V6 to the SH3 directly.

Oh well.
Yes, that's probably the right answer.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 19:49   #41
japitts
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, that's probably the right answer.
It would be the "politically correct" answer, indeed.

I'm still not 100% convinced my attempt at "port unblocking" (probably the wrong teminology) has worked. I've got a pretty good list of the ports that need checking.