Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Channels switched to MPEG4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Channels switched to MPEG4

Old 22-04-2019, 10:31   #16
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Channels switched to MPEG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Those look more like data right now than tv/radio channels.
I think you are correct. Especially as those streams already have as many TV channels as they are capable of carrying at MPEG4. I should have realised that earlier. I blame my coffee not kicking in

I didn't mention the new items on Tsid 4 earlier as those looked like data, with their Tier labels.

The new Tsid 2 and Tsid3 items will probably be housekeeping.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2019, 15:12   #17
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

PCR says Virgin Media are set to move all the Red button streams this week.

PCR 8191 is for on Demand or Red Button steams.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

If you look up the new PMT and PCR it will reveal what is set to move.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 18:14   #18
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

CO67 has this week been closedown by Virgin Media UK.

Two Channels has been added to C065 (Still in MPEG2)

-Sky Hits (Moves from CO69)
-Sky Sports Racing (Moves from CO67)

The following channels has been readded to CO69:

-NDTV India
-NDTV Spice
-NDTV Good Times

Q: WHY DID I HAVE TO RESET MY FAVOURITES CHANNELS FOR SKY SPORTS RACING?
A: Virgin Media UK has this week (Found on April 24th) has moved all channels listed on this post to new streams (But still broadcasting in MPEG2). So if you are an fan of any channel listed you will have to readd it to your Favourites Channels list.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

12 Streams has still to join MPEG4 so we have work out.

-If Virgin Media add up to 5 streams to MPEG4 every two weeks we feel it will now end on May 28th.

-We feel the next streams will join on April 29th.

C034
-A Message For Parents

C036 (Red Button stream)
-SptsETV01

C046
-alibi +1

C052
-Pop Power

C053
-Kerrang

C054
-ITVBe

C064
-I.D.

C065
-Sky Action

C068
-Desi Entertainment

C069
-BBC Parliament

C070
-New Music On Demand

C073
-Vevo

On April 29th, May 13th and May 27th viewers will not need to reset their FAVOURITES CHANNELS as the channels moving to MPEG4 on that day will just start broadcasting in MPEG4 on the streams their are broadcasting on right now.

Media Boy HQ do not work for Virgin Media UK so dates may change.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 19:08   #19
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
CO67 has this week been closedown by Virgin Media UK.

Two Channels has been added to C065 (Still in MPEG2)

-Sky Hits (Moves from CO69)
-Sky Sports Racing (Moves from CO67)

The following channels has been readded to CO69:

-NDTV India
-NDTV Spice
-NDTV Good Times

Q: WHY DID I HAVE TO RESET MY FAVOURITES CHANNELS FOR SKY SPORTS RACING?
A: Virgin Media UK has this week (Found on April 24th) has moved all channels listed on this post to new streams (But still broadcasting in MPEG2). So if you are an fan of any channel listed you will have to readd it to your Favourites Channels list.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

12 Streams has still to join MPEG4 so we have work out.

-If Virgin Media add up to 5 streams to MPEG4 every two weeks we feel it will now end on May 28th.

-We feel the next streams will join on April 29th.

C034
-A Message For Parents

C036 (Red Button stream)
-SptsETV01

C046
-alibi +1

C052
-Pop Power

C053
-Kerrang

C054
-ITVBe

C064
-I.D.

C065
-Sky Action

C068
-Desi Entertainment

C069
-BBC Parliament

C070
-New Music On Demand

C073
-Vevo

On April 29th, May 13th and May 27th viewers will not need to reset their FAVOURITES CHANNELS as the channels moving to MPEG4 on that day will just start broadcasting in MPEG4 on the streams their are broadcasting on right now.

Media Boy HQ do not work for Virgin Media UK so dates may change.
I hadn't noticed that closure or those moves. I saw the NDTV thing a few days ago but couldn't work out what it was that had occurred given it hadn't seemed to have changed anything obvious.
Old 26-04-2019, 10:52   #20
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

I've been thinking about the move of Sky Hits and Sky Sports Racing onto the multiplex/frequency mentioned by Media Boy above. They have been moved alongside what seems to be all (?) of the other Sky Cinema SD channels. It occurred to me that they might just switch off all of these SD channels as part of a new Sky deal.

My reasoning being that, as I understand it, Sky Cinema subscribers get all the channels, both HD and SD, and given VM customers all have HD capable boxes now they will see the carrying of the SD Cinema channels as a needless duplication.

As for Sky Sports Racing, there is an HD version, and it hasn't launched on VM yet. Maybe they will simply replace the SD one with the HD version?

So my theory is the whole of Tsid 18 multiplex/frequency, which these are now on, will simply be switched off rather than switch to MPEG4 SD versions.
Old 26-04-2019, 19:19   #21
horno46
cf.member

horno46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Once all streams are switched to Mpeg4 will there be any benefits for users? Improved PQ perhaps?
horno46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 19:23   #22
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by horno46 View Post
Once all streams are switched to Mpeg4 will there be any benefits for users? Improved PQ perhaps?
The main benefit for customers is lower recording space needed for the same picture quality (and for Virgin Media, less network capacity needed).

Overall picture quality is more the domain of the original broadcaster than Virgin Media.
Old 27-04-2019, 19:54   #23
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by horno46 View Post

Seriously doubt it
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 20:21   #24
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Have to say the change to MPEG4 hasn't improved my life in any way. Very disappointing !
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 21:07   #25
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Have to say the change to MPEG4 hasn't improved my life in any way. Very disappointing !
It's made my recording percentage stay relatively stagnant.
Old 28-04-2019, 14:05   #26
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Have channels 1-5 moved over to MPEG4 yet?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 14:15   #27
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Well it does take quite a lot to cheer up dear old Victor.
Old 28-04-2019, 14:36   #28
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Have channels 1-5 moved over to MPEG4 yet?
As all HD on VM is MPEG4 now what follows is with regards to SD versions of 1-5.

I think all the variations of BBC2 are, as are Channel 4 regions and Channel 5. I'm not certain all the regions of ITV are, and there are some BBC1 regions that aren't.
E.g. based on DBR website, which I believe is showing VM network in Manchester, Tsid 101 on DBR for North West isn't, neither is BBC1 Scotland and BBC1 Wales on Tsid 10.
Old 28-04-2019, 21:26   #29
VirginMediaPhil
cf.addict

Services: 2x TiVo
VirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud of

Apologies if this has been mentioned, but has anyone else noticed that the picture is stretched vertically on SD channels that have moved to MPEG4? Very noticeable to me, especially when the same coverage is being shown on Sky Sports Main Event and one of the other Sky Sports channels, Main Event shows it correctly but graphics are much closer to the edge of the screen on the other Sky Sports channels.
VirginMediaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 22:34   #30
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMediaPhil View Post
Apologies if this has been mentioned, but has anyone else noticed that the picture is stretched vertically on SD channels that have moved to MPEG4? Very noticeable to me, especially when the same coverage is being shown on Sky Sports Main Event and one of the other Sky Sports channels, Main Event shows it correctly but graphics are much closer to the edge of the screen on the other Sky Sports channels.
Well spotted. It happens because it's impossible to exactly encode 720x576 video in MPEG4. The closest available resolution is used instead, and this results in just over 2% of the picture being cropped.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote