Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 26-07-2017, 14:23   #1951
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
So how come UHD football is on BT then?
I'm just pulling your leg mate i knew what you meant i agree i don't think SKY will allow their UHD footie on any other platform, i don't think BT will allow theirs on other platforms either.

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

A box that actually works?
To be fair, my two V6s work superbly. Not had an issue with them at all (touch wood lol) Have been able watch recordings from either box with no problems. Both are connected over Wi-Fi.
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2017, 14:35   #1952
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post

A box that actually works?
That's history now, theone. The V6 has changed everything. It's just the content and UI that needs addressing now.
Old 26-07-2017, 14:56   #1953
Richc1977
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, 200MB BB, Netflix UHD, Sky Go
Richc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to behold

UHD content will come to VM but it will take time IMO.

SKY and BT certainly won't be sharing for sometime as it's a big USP. It is the one thing that tempts me to move to BT.

I think the mostly likely UHD content for VM will come from Discovery, I fully expect to see a Eurosport UHD in time for their Olympics coverage. I think the liberty global connection will ensure VM are at the front of the queue.

I guess the other area is UHD on demand content.
Old 26-07-2017, 15:23   #1954
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Oh massive exclusivity all 24 hrs of it.
Looks like it's not going to be a 24 hour early preview channel:

"OK it works like this

This channel will show selected programmes for about one hour in the evening around 2100, but usually only on Wednesdays. It is also on tonight at 2000.

The service will only be on air once or twice a week.

Everyone who has been with Sky on the same account CONTINUOUSLY for 3 years or more will get this automatically.

Customers who qualify for this are now regarded as "VIP" and accounts will be flagged accordingly and dealt with by a different team in CS.

The official launch of this new arrangement is 3 August 2017. This channel is a replacement for channel 889, "Sky Insider" which has already been doing the same thing for Sky staff for many years. Channel 889 is due to close soon but no date is known for this.

Hope that will clarify the situation."

Indications are that it will indeed be used as a retention tool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1;c-87152491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Bury;c-87151801
Customer churn must be quite high (or quite costly) to make Sky create a channel specifically to prevent account renegotiation by savvy customers. The success of it will depend on how long the exclusivity lasts.
Churn (cancellations) have steadily increased from 9.8% in the quarter ending 30/9/15, to 11.6% in the quarter ending 31/12/16 to "stable" (figure not reported) in the quarter ending 31/3/17 (Source: Sky Corporate website).

In early 2016 Sky tried to restrict discounts, and they estimated that it caused 10,000 additional cancellations in a quarter.

Programming costs have escalated, largely because of Premier League rights, and they're facing stronger competition from competitors. Analysts expect Sky to report a significant drop in annual profits when they disclose their results for the year ended 30/6/17 on Thursday (27/7/17).

The loyalty scheme, changes to Sky Sports, and lack of "headline" price changes to tv, are all indications that the trading environment is harder for Sky than it's been for some time.

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
No comment.
Indeed

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 26-07-2017 at 15:21.
Old 26-07-2017, 15:39   #1955
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Our two work like a cat chasing the mouse whilst catching it every time.
Haha

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's history now, theone. The V6 has changed everything. It's just the content and UI that needs addressing now.
That's what the was for.
Old 26-07-2017, 15:56   #1956
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
It's just the content and UI that needs addressing now.
That should have been priority before any new box!
Old 26-07-2017, 16:35   #1957
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
That should have been priority before any new box!
Maybe it's the economics of it all, MM. No point in putting expensive UHD content on there for early adopters only. However, given that the V6 audience has increased substantially since its launch, now might be the right time.
Old 26-07-2017, 17:00   #1958
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

"OK it works like this

This channel will show selected programmes for about one hour in the evening around 2100, but usually only on Wednesdays. It is also on tonight at 2000.

Everyone who has been with Sky on the same account CONTINUOUSLY for 3 years or more will get this automatically.

Customers who qualify for this are now regarded as "VIP" and accounts will be flagged accordingly and dealt with by a different team in CS.

The official launch of this new arrangement is 3 August 2017. This channel is a replacement for channel 889, "Sky Insider" which has already been doing the same thing for Sky staff for many years. Channel 889 is due to close soon but no date is known for this.

Indeed
Richard I'm well aware how it works , I don't need to read a thread to find out.
Old 26-07-2017, 17:12   #1959
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

"OK it works like this

Thank you for the post.

It sounds to me like another cheap gimmick from Sky. This certainly wouln't encourage me to stay if I were a direct Sky subscriber.

I record everything first and watch at my leisure anyway!
Old 26-07-2017, 17:14   #1960
jj20x

Quote:
An interesting development, I would rather Discovery bought Scripps than Viacom as they are now embracing the FTA market, whereas Viacom seem to generally prefer encryption of their channels. I think it's only the Viacom music channels that are encrypted now.
They still like to think of MTV as a premium product but VIVA is FTA. That said, Viacom are also embracing the FTA market since the purchase of Channel 5 and with the launch of Spike.

Old 26-07-2017, 17:37   #1961
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:

"OK it works like this

Indeed
Here is what SKY told me on Twitter about SKY Atlantic VIP

"There'll be up to 6 new shows each week so keep checking the app to see what’s new"
Old 26-07-2017, 17:53   #1962
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

"There'll be up to 6 new shows each week so keep checking the app to see what’s new"
Like I've said Ballers Episode 1 is on tonight 24 hrs before it airs on Sky Atlantic.

New Rock and a hard Place was on last night and airs tonight on Sky Atlantic.

Last edited by muppetman11; 26-07-2017 at 18:06.
Old 26-07-2017, 18:17   #1963
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
My understanding when I signed up for SKY VIP a couple of months back was that I'd get to see shows "exclusively" ahead of their actual broadcast on SKY. It didn't specify it was going to be SKY Atlantic content however that looks like the road they've gone down. Don't think it's planned as a +24 channel. Should get a better idea later today when I can look forward on the EPG.
Didn't even know about sky vip until i saw your post lol, i checked the app and there it was for now i'm silver but still got a free dvd worth £13.99 i opted for john wick chapter 2, the twitter team told me to expect more rewards and keep a eye on the app and my email inbox.
Old 26-07-2017, 19:07   #1964
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Richard I'm well aware how it works , I don't need to read a thread to find out.
You said that you thought that it was a channel showing material 24 hours before non VIP customers; it appears that this is not the case.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

Quote:

Maybe some shows will be shown 24 hours early on it then??

I suppose this is all rather academic for VM customers as we aren't likely to get it, but the standard version of SA could now be a possibility.
Old 26-07-2017, 19:09   #1965
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You said that you thought that it was a channel showing material 24 hours before non VIP customers; it appears that this is not the case.
Ballers S3 Ep 1 on tonight 24 hours before it airs tomorrow on Sky Atlantic
Rock and a Hard Place was on yesterday 24 hrs before it airs on Sky Atlantic.

Checking the app tells you this. Chad has already stated how much content will be on. I don't mean it's a channel showing all Sky Atlantic content 24hrs before it airs just selected content.

Last edited by muppetman11; 26-07-2017 at 19:13.
Closed Thread