Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking via the mains?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking via the mains?

Old 23-04-2008, 13:33   #16
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Networking via the mains?

Thanks - you're probably right. My reluctance to use a router is largely due to complexity and security issues as I'm useless at these things and would probably wind up cutting myself off forever.

This begs a question - if I wanted a dual connection to the web would installing a wired modem be a simple plug and go operation or would it also to need to be configured, tweaked or whatever before we could surf away ?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2008, 13:52   #17
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

To be honest, I've had routers for so long that I don't remember the initial setup. If I remember correctly, the router should come with software that will make the necessary changes to the pcs you want to connect. Alternatively, you can make these changes manually (which is what I do). Either way, it should be a matter of minutes before you get connected to the web. Getting the computers on your network to communicate with each other (to transfer files for instance) can be a bit trickier, but I presume that will not be your first interest.

Regardless, there are plenty people here who will be more than willing to help should you run into trouble, so I'd say Go for it!

Also, if you stick to a wired router, there will be no security issues. Quite the contrary in fact. The router acts as a buffer between you and the web and protects you from attacks from the outside world. There can be security issues with wireless routers (your wireless might get hacked), but if you stick to wired, there are no such risks.
Old 23-04-2008, 14:08   #18
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
To be honest, I've had routers for so long that I don't remember the initial setup. If I remember correctly, the router should come with software that will make the necessary changes to the pcs you want to connect. Alternatively, you can make these changes manually (which is what I do). Either way, it should be a matter of minutes before you get connected to the web. Getting the computers on your network to communicate with each other (to transfer files for instance) can be a bit trickier, but I presume that will not be your first interest.

Regardless, there are plenty people here who will be more than willing to help should you run into trouble, so I'd say Go for it!

Also, if you stick to a wired router, there will be no security issues. Quite the contrary in fact. The router acts as a buffer between you and the web and protects you from attacks from the outside world. There can be security issues with wireless routers (your wireless might get hacked), but if you stick to wired, there are no such risks.
Yes I was aware of the security issues with wireless which why I'd go for wired and why I was interested in these mains devices as they don't even need a router to provide just alternative internet connection elsewhere in the house.

File transfer wouldn't be an issue for us really so I may just try these things out simply to avoid having to run a long cable from the cable modem to my son's bedroom or study.

Does anyone know if the Maplin offer is any good and how these units compare to other similar devices???

Virtual pints on me
Old 23-04-2008, 14:20   #19
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post

Does anyone know if the Maplin offer is any good and how these units compare to other similar devices???

Virtual pints on me
Those are the ones I've got, and I'm very happy with them - there were also 99 quid when I got them
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 14:25   #20
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I don't think there is much difference between the brands. I also have the devolos and am pleased with them. A pair is £73 on ebuyer, so the £70 'offer' at Maplins looks good.
Old 23-04-2008, 16:11   #21
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
Those are the ones I've got, and I'm very happy with them - there were also 99 quid when I got them
Any chance of you popping over to install them for us??
Old 23-04-2008, 16:27   #22
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Any chance of you popping over to install them for us??
whereabout are you?
Old 23-04-2008, 17:29   #23
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

The router I linked to is a wired router.
Really easy to setup. In most cases, just plug in, follow simple instructions and good to go.
Wired routers often come built in with a firewall of some kind too so no need to worry.

If you don't use a router the only problem I can see is that you would have to power everything down each time you want to change connections so modem recognises the computer that is connected.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 17:56   #24
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
whereabout are you?
Hmmm.. Bromley area - I'd happily tell you our address so you can pop round but my wife might run off with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
The router I linked to is a wired router.
Really easy to setup. In most cases, just plug in, follow simple instructions and good to go.
Wired routers often come built in with a firewall of some kind too so no need to worry.

If you don't use a router the only problem I can see is that you would have to power everything down each time you want to change connections so modem recognises the computer that is connected.
Thanks for that - what you describe is what I occasionally have to do now as I sometimes use an old (W98) PC which I connect to the web via the USB connection on the modem. Since I don't have to do this sort of thing often it's no big issue powering everything off/on and switching connections. If it becomes tiresome I guess then I'd go for the router but I might have a look around in the shops anyway and see what I can find.

Cheers everyone
Old 23-04-2008, 20:05   #25
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Quote:
Hmmm.. Bromley area - I'd happily tell you our address so you can pop round but my wife might run off with you
Hmm you're not actually that far away from me....

is your wife hot?
Old 23-04-2008, 20:06   #26
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Hmm you're not actually that far away from me....

is your wife hot?
Scorching .....
Old 24-04-2008, 08:55   #27
littlebert
cf.member

littlebert is an unknown quantity at this point

I run 3 of these plugs myself and found them to be the nut's!

http://www.in-home-network.co.uk/hom...5-mbps-3-p.asp

Was initially worried that they were cheaper than most, so the quality might be comprimised... was pleasently proved wrong though!
littlebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 10:50   #28
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Quote:
Scorching .....
I'll be there in 10 minutes!