Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wired and Wireless

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wired and Wireless

Old 08-04-2008, 20:00   #1
patkeaveney
Inactive

patkeaveney is an unknown quantity at this point
Wired and Wireless

Please help

I have searched this forum for hours, and still cant find the answer.

I have am running Windows XP SP2 on a
Dell GX260 Desktop
I have a USB wired connection to the Virgin Surfboard Cable modem,
this is working fine and connects to the Internet.

I have a USB DLINK AirPLus G wireless adaptor (DWL-G122) connected to this PC.

I am attempting to connect to a laptop with a DLINK Air Card (DWL-610).

I want to be able to use the laptop to connect to the internet through the desktop computer.

The network says it is connected with Good strength, but when I try to connect to the internet on the laptop I get an error message saying
No connection to the internet is available.

Can someone please help with how I can overcome this problem.

Thanks

Pat
patkeaveney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2008, 20:32   #2
homealone

Re: Wired and Wireless

hi

by the sounds of it you will need a wireless router
Old 08-04-2008, 20:38   #3
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Not possible, with the USB - Personally, I woulodn't reccomend this as it means you need the PC on to use the laptop's internet.

The easyiest way is to get a wireless router.
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 21:02   #4
patkeaveney
Inactive

patkeaveney is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both

Can you recommend a suitable router
patkeaveney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 21:14   #5
webcrawler2050
Inactive

webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age

Welcome -

Can you confirm the budget you have.
Old 08-04-2008, 23:36   #6
Help!!!
Inactive

Help!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of light

I got a cheap zyxel wireless router, does the job great on my 20Mb, download max when its wired to my laptop 2.4mbps or around 1.3-1.7mbps wireless depending on traffic.
Help!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:32   #7
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Have you tried turning Internet Connection Sharing on for your net connection? Not sure if this works with just a wireless network card, as when I had wireless with a USB cable modem, I used a wireless access point.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:56   #8
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiSilence View Post
Have you tried turning Internet Connection Sharing on for your net connection? Not sure if this works with just a wireless network card, as when I had wireless with a USB cable modem, I used a wireless access point.
Wont be able to share the connection on USB not aware that this is possible?!
Old 10-04-2008, 09:52   #9
xspeedyx

DLINK DL524 is a great router ebay it mine was £24.00
Old 10-04-2008, 16:33   #10
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Wont be able to share the connection on USB not aware that this is possible?!
I used to share my modem connection using ICS when it was on USB (or at least, I think I did, it was a long time ago lol) but it was over a wired network (using only a hub, not a router or switch). Should work over a wireless NIC though, I think.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 20:47   #11
hoggie
Inactive

Services: V+.XL tv & Bb
hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice

you need to run network wizard on laptop and the pc. call the network LOCAL and set up an ad-hoc network.
but the laptop will only connect if the pc is switched on and connected to the net...

but it is easier to get your self a router. the new MIMO routers are good.

hope that helps,
hoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 22:08   #12
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Router Recommendations: Link
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote