Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | laptop can't connect to the server/ why?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

laptop can't connect to the server/ why?

Old 26-03-2008, 13:55   #1
trish
Inactive

Services: Virgin + AOL
trish is an unknown quantity at this point
laptop can't connect to the server/ why?

Hi,
I have been trying to connect my daughter's HP Pavilion DV1000, laptop, to wireless for the past 2 days.
We receive AOL via cable(Yes, I don't know why!)but have managed to connect a netgear WGR614 router to our main pc and the laptop is receiving the wireless signal at excellent strength!
(I need to say at this stage that wireless onto my son's new HP desktop is up and running with no problems at all, almost instantanious, from the same router.)
When trying to access the internet however, via 'internet explorer' on my daughter's laptop, it says that it cannot connect to the server. On my son's it connects straight away!
I have been onto the hp site and followed all the advice given, to no avail.
Anyone with any ideas for me please?
Thanks.
Trish
trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2008, 15:21   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: laptop can't connect to the server/ why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish View Post
Hi,
I have been trying to connect my daughter's HP Pavilion DV1000, laptop, to wireless for the past 2 days.
We receive AOL via cable(Yes, I don't know why!)but have managed to connect a netgear WGR614 router to our main pc and the laptop is receiving the wireless signal at excellent strength!
(I need to say at this stage that wireless onto my son's new HP desktop is up and running with no problems at all, almost instantanious, from the same router.)
When trying to access the internet however, via 'internet explorer' on my daughter's laptop, it says that it cannot connect to the server. On my son's it connects straight away!
I have been onto the hp site and followed all the advice given, to no avail.
Anyone with any ideas for me please?
Thanks.
Trish
Could you try this for me?

Go to Start, then Control Panel. Open for me "Network Connections". In there should be a wireless connection. Right click on it, and select Properties. Under "This connection uses to following items:" scroll down to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Select it, and press Properties below.
Make sure it looks like the picture i have attached below (Click OK after making any changes). This should allow the wireless link to receive all settings from the router, which may be one problem you are having.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 16:35   #3
trish
Inactive

Hello Druchii,
Thanks for you reply. I have followed your instructions but have not come up with what you have said. I did not mention that the laptop is Windows XP, so is the main PC but the other, new desktop is Vista. Would this be why it's not coming up with the same windows?
Anyway, here's what came up;
Control panel > "Network + Internet Connection" from there I could go into> "Wireless Connections" then into >"Properties". There it does not have what you have, but,just says "Connect using" then, in a box it says "Intel(R) PRO/ Wireless 2200BG Network connection. No mention of TCP/IP!
I did come across something that says the wireless connection is working properly, along the way.

Sorry if I sound dumb. It could be cos I am.
Any more advice?
Trish
Old 26-03-2008, 17:50   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Can I check your setup as I'm slightly confused by the wording of your first post:

Cable (AOL) modem <ethernet> Netgear Internet / WAN port
then a) Netgear Network / LAN port <ethernet> son's HP Desktop computer
or b) Netgear <wireless> son's HP Desktop computer

In other words the only thing that has a direct connection to the AOL modem is the router?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 18:56   #5
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Back in the day AOL would only run 1 instance over a lan from what I recall. Im assuming this has changed by now?
Old 26-03-2008, 19:19   #6
trish
Inactive

Yep, wireless to son's computer.
and.. The only thing in the AOL modem is the router, correct.
The laptop is receiving wireless from our router perfectly it seems. The strength is excellent. It's just when you try to connect via internet explorer, it says, cannot connect to the server!
Laptop, although 3 years old, has wi-fi button lit and antennae activated. When you click on the wireless icon on bottom right of screen it says, connected. And it is definitly set to connect to our router. It seems that all is ok til I click on internet explorer to access the internet.
Then, no can do!
Sorry I'm such a dumbo.
Trish
Old 27-03-2008, 15:41   #7
trish
Inactive

A bit of new info for anyone out there who might be able to help me.
We have been able to connect the laptop to the router by ethernet cable
and it can then receive AOL Broadband perfectly.
That is, along side the main PC(connected to the router) and son's PC(wireless).
It is only when the laptop needs to go wireless that it 'cannot find server'! The signal strength from the router is still excellent.
If I take the laptop into a computer shop, would they be able to tell what's wrong without our router present? In other words, will the problem be with laptop or router?
I have contacted netgear (yesterday)but they have not come back to me yet. So far only sending me 3 e-mails apologising for not having got back to me.
One more question, would the TCP/IP address need to be the same on the main computer as on the laptop? Cos I don't think it is.
I'm so fed up with this now
Thanks.
Trish
Old 27-03-2008, 16:25   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If the laptop can get internet when it's wire connected, that would suggest the browser and related surfing stuff is setup correctly. It's the wireless configuration of the laptop at fault, especially if other computers can connect OK wirelessly.

Have a look at the wireless card's network connection. Is everything ini there, especially the TCP/IP setup set to auto? In particular the IP should not be the same as any other computer on the network. but when it does get allocated it should be in the same range as the router i.e. if the router is 192.168.1.1 then the laptop should get something like 192.168.1.xxx.

Could a firewall, or antivirus be causing havoc on the laptop?

Can the laptop wired and wirelessly browse (internet explorer) to the router's admin pages?
Old 27-03-2008, 20:32   #9
trish
Inactive

Thanks for the reply Rob.
The firewall is deactivated and there is no antivirus on either.
and, just checked... the TCP/IP is set to find automatically!
We don't know how to look for the router's admin page on the laptop.
Sorry Rob this is probably like banging your head against the wall.

If it is the wireless configuration at fault is it something that a computer whizz could put right do you think?
Trish.
Old 27-03-2008, 20:46   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

To browse to the admin page of your router open internet explorer and in the address bar (the place where you typed www.cableforum.co.uk) type 192.168.0.1 and press enter.
Old 27-03-2008, 20:59   #11
trish
Inactive

I have just tried that Rob and it comes up with, 'page cannot be displayed'.
Trish.
Old 27-03-2008, 21:25   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Have you set up any wireless security?
Old 27-03-2008, 21:41   #13
trish
Inactive

I have just done a little more research and discovered that the network card on the laptop is : 10/100M bit Ethernet/Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG
and the netgear WRG614 router specifications say that it is compatible with any exsisting 802.11b 11Mbps network device.
Does that mean that they are compatible?
It's like a whole other language to me I'm afraid.
Hom3R,
I think there is wireless security, if it is this;-WPA-PSK.
Trish
Old 28-03-2008, 19:26   #14
trish
Inactive

An update for you guys...
I have the laptop up and working wirelessly!!!!!
An e mail to Hewlett Packard support on their website, produced a reply today. I followed their instructions and Voila!
It needed the Network adapter uninstalled then re installed.
After days of working on this and following instructions from here, netgear,+ other online sites, I cannot believe it is done.
Thanks to all of you who tried to help me.
Trish.
Old 19-04-2008, 17:30   #15
eponymous1212
Inactive

eponymous1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Trish,

I have been following your thread with avid interest as have been experiencing a virtually identical situation.

Wireless connections work fine on all other computers in the network except for the very one for which it is needed (others hardwired)

Symptons identical (cannot browse or ping 192.168.0.1 Netgear admin) and everything points to reinstalling network adaptor.

This is where I am still stuck as believe uninstall is incomplete and problem continues to repeat itself. Instead of clean uninstal am simply going from Wireless Network 1 - 5 with no resolution,

Can anyone please give a step-by-step account of a clean uninstall of a network adapter. From Trish's experience, this looks like this could be the remaining step for people still stuck in the same predicament as me.

Many thanks,
Eponymous1212
eponymous1212 is offline   Reply With Quote