Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 09:32   #5071
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Thats what media driven paranoia does for you - you would think its the black death the way its going atm.
It’s not about individual risk - for New Zealand getting it back to zero means businesses open, no distancing, sports stadiums full.

Accepting community transmission means none of these things are long term, realistically viable. The measures you have to introduce to keep it “manageable” are a sizeable part of the way to lockdown and you have no option but to commit to them until there’s a vaccine.

People will say “ah, but tourism”. It’s to that argument what the German cars line is re EU trade. A sizeable irrelevance. Getting the rest of the economy going normally outweighs tourism.
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2020, 10:31   #5072
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

The recession brought on by the Government's imperfect response to the coronavirus pandemic has led to the UK's biggest fall in quarterly GDP on record.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53748278
https://www.cityam.com/uk-gdp-plumme...rly-drop-ever/
https://twitter.com/TheWordOfCarrie/...919809/photo/1

Last edited by 1andrew1; 12-08-2020 at 11:02.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:42   #5073
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The recession brought on by the Government's imperfect response to the coronavirus pandemic has led to the UK's biggest fall in quarterly GDP on record.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53748278
https://www.cityam.com/uk-gdp-plumme...rly-drop-ever/
https://twitter.com/TheWordOfCarrie/...919809/photo/1
God almighty, talk about lacing a headline with your political slant of choice.

It was going to be a terrible set of results regardless, I don’t think the government response made the figures any worse than they might have been, the real test will be the speed of recovery

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s not about individual risk - for New Zealand getting it back to zero means businesses open, no distancing, sports stadiums full.

Accepting community transmission means none of these things are long term, realistically viable. The measures you have to introduce to keep it “manageable” are a sizeable part of the way to lockdown and you have no option but to commit to them until there’s a vaccine.

People will say “ah, but tourism”. It’s to that argument what the German cars line is re EU trade. A sizeable irrelevance. Getting the rest of the economy going normally outweighs tourism.
Going into full lockdown when there is less than a handful of cases doesn’t seem particularly viable either
Old 12-08-2020, 11:43   #5074
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
God almighty, talk about lacing a headline with your political slant of choice.

It was going to be a terrible set of results regardless, I don’t think the government response made the figures any worse than they might have been, the real test will be the speed of recovery
Those are moderate headlines. The FT says "UK economy suffers worst slump in Europe in second quarter"

If the government response did not make the figures any worse than they might have been, why are they then the worst in Europe?
Old 12-08-2020, 11:47   #5075
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Those are moderate headlines. The FT says "UK economy suffers worst slump in Europe in second quarter"

If the government response did not make the figures any worse than they might have been, why are they then the worst in Europe?
So the only possible explanation is the one that suits your agenda? Can’t say I’m surprised.

You might try reading the articles you’ve linked to. At least one contributing factor is the overall balance of the economy. Four-fifths of our economy is derived from services, which have been hardest hit by lockdown and are hampered by reduced capacity on reopening.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:54   #5076
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Worst in Europe, least worst.........it’s like comparing turds, when all said and done they’re both turds.

As I say, the real test is how fast and big the recovery will be, how many jobs were saved by furlough, how many saved by opening up hospitality etc.

I’d keep the yard arm Away for the time being. Q2 2021. We’ll know where we are
Old 12-08-2020, 12:01   #5077
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So the only possible explanation is the one that suits your agenda? Can’t say I’m surprised.

You might try reading the articles you’ve linked to. At least one contributing factor is the overall balance of the economy. Four-fifths of our economy is derived from services, which have been hardest hit by lockdown and are hampered by reduced capacity on reopening.
That's tinkering around the edges. Germany’s GDP fell by 10% in Q2, the UK’s by 20%. Shops and pubs can't explain most of that difference.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:05   #5078
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Going into full lockdown when there is less than a handful of cases doesn’t seem particularly viable either
There are no options without costs. Rishi is out today attributing our recession to the service sector and social elements of the economy.

New Zealand are looking at it objectively tossing up locking down for 3-6 weeks, getting to zero and getting back to actual normal minus tourism against the alternative of almost permanent restrictions.

Whitty says we are at or near the limit of what we can ease. That's before schools go back. There's no nightclubs, no 60,000 people at football matches, no concerts or events and other huge parts of the economy.

If they get it right the short term pain gives long term gain. I accept that's an if.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:08   #5079
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Fed up of seeing it reported as 'UK suffers biggest recession ever'

Why do news outlets insist on taking some news, and then dressing it up as the biggest disaster to occur, ever, in the history of the World

Is it some modern thing that needs to be done to generate sales/viewing/discussion? Is it done as a means of getting one over on others due to having the best sensationalist headline . . that everyone then copies?

It's like bloody advertising, I don't know about you lot, but 99% of the adverts thrown at me - in whatever form - immediately make me vow to steer clear of their products
Old 12-08-2020, 12:19   #5080
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Thats what media driven paranoia does for you - you would think its the black death the way its going atm.
That's next on the list from China.

Quote:
Authorities in the Chinese region of Inner Mongolia have sealed off a village after a resident there died from bubonic plague, a centuries-old disease responsible for the most deadly pandemic in human history.
The death was reported to health authorities in Baotou city on Sunday and the victim was confirmed to be a bubonic plague patient on Thursday, the Baotou Municipal Health Commission said in a statement on its website...
... Plague, caused by bacteria and transmitted through flea bites and infected animals, killed an estimated 50 million people in Europe during the Black Death pandemic in the Middle Ages.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/07/a...scn/index.html
Old 12-08-2020, 15:23   #5081
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post

Why do news outlets insist on taking some news, and then dressing it up as the biggest disaster to occur, ever, in the history of the World

Is it some modern thing that needs to be done to generate sales/viewing/discussion? Is it done as a means of getting one over on others due to having the best sensationalist headline . . that everyone then copies?

It's like bloody advertising, I don't know about you lot, but 99% of the adverts thrown at me - in whatever form - immediately make me vow to steer clear of their products
Good luck steering clear of this recession...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 12-08-2020, 16:44   #5082
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:

I think it's best that the media trust us to tell it as it is. I'd rather know the situation so I can plan accordingly than live in a world like North Korea where the news is happy-clappy because they don't trust their citizens with the truth.

I appreciate that everyone has different sensitivities but if the news offends, don't watch or read it. Easier said than done, I know, which reminds me of that famous episode from the likely lads.
Old 12-08-2020, 16:55   #5083
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I think it's best that the media trust us to tell it as it is. I'd rather know the situation so I can plan accordingly than live in a world like North Korea where the news is happy-clappy because they don't trust their citizens with the truth.

I appreciate that everyone has different sensitivities but if the news offends, don't watch or read it. Easier said than done, I know, which reminds me of that famous episode from the likely lads.
Did you mean it that way round? It reads awkwardly but I think I know what you mean.

Thing is, the N Korean media aren't **** like some of the free-western hacks.

Pierre's point is very valid. The media are doomsters on whatever is going on so they can keep their jobs and for no other reason - perversely like N Koreans!. They are usually cautious about good news (only right to be so when Boris or someone like him spouts).

My advice is at your risk.
Old 12-08-2020, 17:44   #5084
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
That's tinkering around the edges. Germany’s GDP fell by 10% in Q2, the UK’s by 20%. Shops and pubs can't explain most of that difference.

It's simple fact, the UK economy is much more tied to the service industry than Germany's hence why we performed so poorly.

the figures are also skewed by the fact that a majority of European nations were exiting out of lockdown whilst we were still in lockdown

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:

Sensationalism sells
Old 12-08-2020, 18:32   #5085
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
It's simple fact, the UK economy is much more tied to the service industry than Germany's hence why we performed so poorly.
People are equating the service sector to being shops, restaurants and bars, which Germany and the UK are both strong in.

Germany has more manufacturing but the larger service sector we have is mainly due to financial and professional services.

Quote:
the figures are also skewed by the fact that a majority of European nations were exiting out of lockdown whilst we were still in lockdown
That's more likely a reason.
Closed Thread