Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgraded from Virgin L to XL broaband - new router suggestions please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Upgraded from Virgin L to XL broaband - new router suggestions please

Old 22-04-2008, 15:04   #1
jackanory85
Inactive

jackanory85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Upgraded from Virgin L to XL broaband - new router suggestions please

Hi i have only been a member for a few weeks but from what i have read the people here seem to be extremely friendly and helpful so i was wondering if you could help me out.

I have recently upgraded my virgin bb from the 4meg package to 20meg only to find my mentor FR4 router is topping out at around 9meg, in the manual for the router it claims the WAN port can connect at 10/100Mbps so i assumed that it would have been suitable for a 20Mb connection. Is there a way to alter the settings to achieve full speed or is a new router required (I can get my full connection speed by connecting the modem directly to pc).

If a new router is required does anyone have any suggestions of a good brand/model. Also virgin are advertising a free wireless router for customers upgrading, do they provide a free wired equivelant for people who are not interested in wireless.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark.
jackanory85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2008, 15:23   #2
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: Upgraded from Virgin L to XL broaband - new router suggestions please

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum and all that!

I got this Wifi Router "Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP Turbo G High Power Wireless Ethernet Converter" its not badly priced, however, dont let price put you off!

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/97644

I am getting just short of 19.6MB constantly, its was very easy to setup and looks nice too
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 15:30   #3
jackanory85
Inactive

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately i'm not really looking for a wireless router as I already have a nice wired gigabit network in place, what i am really looking to know is what wired routers are suitable for 20Mb and do virgin provide one free of charge as they do with the wireless router? Thanks again

EDIT: Sorry webcrawler i never really read the product description fully there and was put of by the "wireless" term and was put off, so this router can be used wired or wireless. It looks good thanks. Although i was still hoping for a freebie from virgin lol as wireless isn't really required.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 22-04-2008, 15:49   #4
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

no they do not provide wired routers, only the wireless which woudl come with wired in ethernet ports, what router do you have at present? most wired will do 20meg with ease unless it is really old
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 15:53   #5
jackanory85
Inactive

http://www.dacomputers.com/store.php?targetcode=KNRMCL

This is the router i have at the moment, it is quite old so maybe thats the problem.
Old 22-04-2008, 15:58   #6
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

i would have thought it would be sufficient as it is 10/100 on the wan port

what settings are you using for the nic? full duplex? auto neg?
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 16:00   #7
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Thats cool mate.

I just found it to be a nice looking, stable secure router.

I got it for £26 so they must have put the price up.

I know what ya saying about the freebie, not sure if you could get it a little bit of gift of the gab and you might though!
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 16:03   #8
jackanory85
Inactive

i'm using autonegotiation and i am achieving full speed with a direct connection to the modem and get good speeds using a gigabit switch when transferring data between computers so im almost certain its the router. Although i could be wrong as im a bit of a noob when it comes to this network stuff.
Old 22-04-2008, 20:13   #9
BOB+THE+BRIT
Inactive

BOB+THE+BRIT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory85 View Post
i'm using autonegotiation and i am achieving full speed with a direct connection to the modem and get good speeds using a gigabit switch when transferring data between computers so im almost certain its the router. Although i could be wrong as im a bit of a noob when it comes to this network stuff.
hi on the back of the netgear 4-port Cable/DSL Wireless Router you get with V.M
there 4 ports you can set up a direct wired connection
plus the Wireless
if you are upgrading to XL its free sell it buy wired Router

http://www.youtube.com/user/PureNetworks
BOB+THE+BRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 20:46   #10
jackanory85
Inactive

Cheers Bob, I'll give that a bash then