Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Plane Spotters Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Plane Spotters Corner

Old 31-03-2009, 20:39   #46
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Plane Spotters Corner

Are you running some radar software ? Is it any good ?

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2009, 20:46   #47
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Are you running some radar software ? Is it any good ?
Yes it's hardware based in fact, very similar to SBS if you've ever heard of that.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/index.html

The box processes the ADS-B and Mode S signals from the Secondary Surveillance Radars on aircraft flying overhead. The range is up to 200KM if your antenna has a good view of the horizon. You can share and receive signals from other users too so you can see what's happening in other parts of the world (time delayed for security reasons).
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 22:31   #48
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Just thought I'd have a quick peek at what I could set up in 10 minutes, so got a copy of planeplotters (21 day trial) tuned into 131.525 and was quite amazed that I could at least plot the basic ACARS responses from round about 300 miles (comes in handy having a decent ham antenna on the roof )
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 22:47   #49
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Just thought I'd have a quick peek at what I could set up in 10 minutes, so got a copy of planeplotters (21 day trial) tuned into 131.525 and was quite amazed that I could at least plot the basic ACARS responses from round about 300 miles (comes in handy having a decent ham antenna on the roof )
Have you tried ACARSD Kymmy? I don't think it's been updated for some time but it's free and works extremely well

http://www.acarsd.org/
Old 31-03-2009, 22:50   #50
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Have you tried ACARSD Kymmy? I don't think it's been updated for some time but it's free and works extremely well

Not done any aircars decoding for years, must have a look at it again.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 22:54   #51
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Is it graphical including realtime downloading and plotting on google earth or sat imagery like planeplotter??

Here's the one I tried
http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm

Might fire up the HF tomorrow and see what else I can get
Old 31-03-2009, 22:55   #52
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
Not done any aircars decoding for years, must have a look at it again.
Took my antennas down when doing the gutters a few years ago, never did put them up again (or re-apply for me licence) but it's tempting Diamond X510 works well on airband (3x 5/8 on 2m)

@kymmy no it's text based but that planeplotter does look pretty tasty in comparison so I see the appeal
Old 31-03-2009, 22:58   #53
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Took my antennas down when doing the gutters a few years ago, never did put them up again (or re-apply for me licence) but it's tempting Diamond X510 works well on airband (3x 5/8 on 2m)
Licence is now lifetime and free (though it's £20 to register for it then you just need to reaffirm details every 5 years)

I'm listening on either an FT8100 or FT7800, though I'm doing a TX test for some repeaters tomorrow up on Dunstable downs so might take the laptop with ACARS on it
Old 31-03-2009, 23:02   #54
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

I'll have a look at what I can do tomorrow night. It'll be either a Kenwood TM-D700E or an IC-R5 doing the recieving throguh a Watson W-300 dual band co-linear.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 15:41   #55
Kymmy
Inactive

Anyone got £2million?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7996306.stm
Old 13-04-2009, 16:12   #56
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Nice!

It's good to see old planes being restored and put back into the skies.

Old 19-04-2009, 23:00   #57
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Contrail photography can show up some interesting aircraft you wouldn't usually see landing at any of your local airports. Point a long-ish lens at those little dots in the sky on a clear day and Bob's your uncle.

md11f.jpg

World Airways MD11 at 35,000ft operating on behalf of Air Mobility Command - most probably carrying troops/personnel to Germany.
Old 19-04-2009, 23:26   #58
Halcyon
Hello !

Crikey! You must have a good camera!

Went up to EastMidlands yesterday for a walk. Flights were operating in the other direction due to wind. There are so many Ryanairs!
I want to see the big charters come in now for the Summer.

Old 20-04-2009, 00:07   #59
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Crikey! You must have a good camera!

Went up to EastMidlands yesterday for a walk. Flights were operating in the other direction due to wind. There are so many Ryanairs!
I want to see the big charters come in now for the Summer.
Just a Canon 40D with the EF100-400L IS lens at it's max focal length. You can get better results on a cold, clear day when there's no haze though. There's a daily Emirates A380 which usually hits the West Coast of the UK mid morning so hoping to catch that if it routes up this way.

You should check the AVP out at Manchester one weekend. It's possible to get some really nice shots with a compact digi or bridge camera. They were operating on 05 yesterday so it was possible to get some really nice head-on shots of aircraft taxying out like this Qatar Airways A330

Old 20-04-2009, 00:37   #60
Halcyon
Hello !

Heard good things about Manchester and want to get up there. Never been to Manchester before so might have to make a weekend of it.