Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | DNS Servers Down

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

DNS Servers Down

Old 04-01-2018, 07:03   #1
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age
DNS Servers Down

Mass outage on DNS within the last hour by looks of it, when will we be able to change the DNS on the SH?
Old 04-01-2018, 07:09   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: DNS Servers Down

What do you mean by "change it on the SH" ?

If you run in modem mode, you can set it on your routers DHCP settings.
If you dont run in modem mode, you should be able to set it in the SH DHCP settings.

Either way, you can always over-ride it on your PC, and set any DNS servers you want.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:12   #3
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

In none modem mode there is no option to change the DNS on the DHCP on the SH 3.0, shocking piece of kit since they replaced it.

I do override on the PC but wireless no easy way to set just the DNS as far as I am aware on Android devices.

I do plan going modem only mode just got to sort a router out when I have time.
Old 04-01-2018, 19:56   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

this is perfect timing because we have had a bit of a tiff about this is another thread. You have never been able to change the dns settings on any of the shubs and VM don't want you to. Screwing up the dns settings can make your connection appear to be broke when it isn't and just creates another point of failure/troubleshooting which they don't want to deal with. VM's dns servers go down three or four times a year and the outage time for them is probably deemed acceptable when weighed against the potential long term call volume to tech support if you screw the settings up.

The only way you can circumvent this and not even notice the downtime/disruption of service is to use your own proper where you can set your dns servers to google's which will have a ridiculous level of fault tolerance and have never gone down that I have noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I do plan going modem only mode just got to sort a router out when I have time.
Now is a good a time as any with the sales. If you would like any advice come back and let us know. I have already made some casual recommendations in this thread if you would like a rough idea of what to look for.

Last edited by General Maximus; 04-01-2018 at 19:59.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 20:02   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I dont use VM DNS so not noticed the outage.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 20:17   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I dont use VM DNS so not noticed the outage.
Likewise: We have Google as primary and secondary. Free dns as tertiary and VM as last resort.

I've used my own routers from the days of STB internet (256Kb) because you had to to run a home network.
Old 04-01-2018, 22:29   #7
Matthew
cf.mega poster

On the previous SH I had I could change them so did.

I'm currently looking to source some hardware to build a pfSense box and use that, also use Unifi AP for wifi.

Historically I have always used my own router but when I moved here I just used the SH as it did. The day job is IT so it just got left as I couldn't be bothered, it did me.
Old 05-01-2018, 15:12   #8
robertylee
Inactive

Services: VIP XL Package
robertylee is an unknown quantity at this point

Lot of issues in ST16 area last night, with broadband. When rebooting the SH3.0 that we have recently had fitted, it is taking over 30 minutes to even stabilize a connection. Certainly looks like the DNS issues. upgraded to 300mb on 23/12, wifi signal throughout house is worse, as is stability of internet connection. Had no such problems with 200mb. Def look at running in modem mode and getting separate router with wifi.
robertylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 16:21   #9
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I've got an idea that you can have some problems with V6 TiVo if not using the default VM DNS.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 21:03   #10
Matthew
cf.mega poster

I've only got VM now for BB, just in process of sorting out my pfSense kit to stop having issues in future. Cannot wait for FTTC to become available here.
Old 05-01-2018, 22:26   #11
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
I've got an idea that you can have some problems with V6 TiVo if not using the default VM DNS.
Cant say I've ever noticed any problems. I use Google and Opendns (not surer about the name) on an Asus router
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 22:41   #12
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

My interweb works ok, that's all I know...
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote