Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New VM Business service - 350Mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New VM Business service - 350Mb

Old 25-05-2017, 23:49   #31
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: New VM Business service - 350Mb

Wow, much cleaner than mine, on vivid 300.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...c4b-24-05-2017
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2017, 22:52   #32
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I have 16 downstreams - which I think is where the Puma 6 based devices start to show some latency issues on the reports such as BQM, but that beyond 16 it gets worse.

Now I do know a firmware update was recently rolled out to the Hitrons - so maybe that included Intel's fix
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 14:57   #33
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

Further to my previous report on our new VM Business Service (350 Mb/s) the service has got no better. (This is with the 5 fixed IP option).

To repeat we have seen extremely variables speeds and slow initial connections. If we run speedtest against VM speedtest servers we do occasionally get results in the 200-300 speeds (particularly early in the morning) but only a few minutes later the speeds are down to 20-30 Mb/s for long periods. Uploads give the max speed possible all the time (20 Mb/s). Overall the service is much worst than the old 50 Mb/s service which was much more consistent.

Before tackling the challenge of customer services, I have tried a thinkbroadband ping test, the results of which are here:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...b00-01-06-2017

This is with multiple users using the connection throughout the day. It does not really show anything untoward and no significant packet loss.

Unless anyone has any suggestions I guess it is time to call VM.

Last edited by APS; 05-06-2017 at 15:02. Reason: Replaced broken link
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 22:26   #34
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

This definitely sounds a case to call them and have them investigate for you. Possible local congestion, but should be handled under the business SLA
Old 06-06-2017, 04:30   #35
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS View Post
We have had the Hitron installed on the 350/20 service with 5 fixed IPs and had two issues so far:

2) We are getting big slowdowns in the middle of the day when careful speedtests show speeds of less than 20 Mb/s download but the upload seems fine. Tests earlier in the day show speeds closer to the 350 Mb/s although not quite as good as ccarmock. This is slower than the 50 Mb/s service we used to have. This makes me wonder if either the tunnel used for the fixed IP service is coming out onto the network in a congested place (we pop out near Bristol) or that they are running a throttle which is either setup incorrectly or is a very bad deal.

Anyone had similar problems?
Having almost the same issue with my Hitron 300Mb VMB service (30-50Mb average tests this evening). Just got it re-enabled tonight, so have only done evening testing so far.

Speedtest.net (the Flash version) also locates me around Bristol, as the endpoint of the GRE tunnel. Btw, I'm in Glasgow and have no problems maxing my residential connection.

So I also think it's a congested peering issue. Haven't seen anywhere close to a 300Mb speed test yet on any of the popular sites or servers and have tried quite a few on speedtest.net.

I suggest you try this CDN test: http://cloudharmony.com/speedtest-for-cdn

What I noticed is that all but one of the CDN's report consistently low speeds for the 10MB/2 Threads column. While I don't expect CDN's to give very high speeds, my residential 50Mb connection performs much better and more consistently maxing out on that same column.

However, the one that gives 200Mb-300Mb consistently is Cachefly, so that may be routed differently. I also did some downloads that used a cachefly server and they were the same speed.

Let me know if you get anywhere with your investigation.

Have you tried getting VMB to switch you to dynamic IP? I know maybe not the ideal solution..

---------- Post added at 02:08 ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
I have 16 downstreams - which I think is where the Puma 6 based devices start to show some latency issues on the reports such as BQM, but that beyond 16 it gets worse.

Now I do know a firmware update was recently rolled out to the Hitrons - so maybe that included Intel's fix

From my tests it's obvious the latest firmware does include Intel's fix.

20 downstream channels:

Spikes on the BQM above are me doing speed tests and download tests. Very nice low level latency without spikes otherwise and most importantly for me, no bufferbloat!

---------- Post added at 03:30 ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Can anyone do a speedtest on thinkbroadband? I wonder if higher priority means better single threaded speeds.
I find it highly unlikely that there is any kind of "high priority" on the VM business service, in spite of sales guys patter.

You do end up on a different port and line card at the CMTS than you would on residential, which in some areas is probably less utilised than the residential line cards. But if you're in an area, node and line card that is already under-utilised you're not going to see a difference.

As for the rest of the network and peering, it's clear from many customers reports that speeds are still variable for many. Including mine on VMB (residential is fine).

Between your hub and the CMTS you're still sharing the same channels on a node that residential do. So still essentially limited in bandwidth as residential are. The downstream speeds could be 'tweaked' by the CMTS scheduler, but only to a point.

They could give you slightly better upstream priority using service flows rather than UGS, but that won't help if your area is over-utilised or at times when peak-load is reached: https://volpefirm.com/docsis_qos/

Last edited by MUD_Wizard; 06-06-2017 at 03:12.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 20:24   #36
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

Is that firmware being released or has it released yet?.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 20:36   #37
ccarmock
cf.geek

It has been released. I have version 4.5.10.161-SIP-UPC
Old 10-06-2017, 05:36   #38
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

Since that is the business hubs will the Hub3 get the firmware at all since it seems to be working on one of them?.
Old 10-06-2017, 13:20   #39
ccarmock
cf.geek

The business service is provided on a Hitron device which is a different manufacturer to that Hub 3 used for residential, so the firmware will be different.

I read that VM have a version they are testing for the Hub 3 that has the intel fix included, but not sure how close to roll out it is.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:41   #40
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

Regarding the problems with the multiple fixed IPs and the Hitron, after doing a succession of tests over a couple of days to show the poor performance so we had the data in hand, we phoned VM business support.

We got put through to 2nd level support fairly quickly who almost immediately said the issue we are seeing is almost certainly down to a software issue within their network that causes packet fragmentation (and possibly loss) for data passing through the GRE tunnel. They have plans to fix this in the next few weeks (by "mid-July"). He said the issue results in timed out web pages from some common sites, slow results from speedtest sites, etc etc.

He did also check for local congestion in our network and they will do a line test but all looked OK during the initial checks.

I guess they only have seen this since going live with the service, but unless they fix it soon I think I will be asking for a refund, if only to focus their minds on getting the fix rolled out.
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:06   #41
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
I read that VM have a version they are testing for the Hub 3 that has the intel fix included, but not sure how close to roll out it is.
Where? As far as I know, they don't have anything yet.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 16:10   #42
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Actually great question do you have to use the other modem that comes with the business internet or can you keep your hub3 if you have one?
Old 12-06-2017, 19:31   #43
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
Actually great question do you have to use the other modem that comes with the business internet or can you keep your hub3 if you have one?
No you need a Hitron
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 00:01   #44
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

That's a minor inconvenience but still might be worth it.
Old 13-06-2017, 00:23   #45
ccarmock
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobble View Post
Where? As far as I know, they don't have anything yet.
Some info here

It doesn't quote a date but suggests new firmware is in test