Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The X Files is back!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

The X Files is back!

Old 30-01-2016, 21:10   #1
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
The X Files is back!

Mulder and Scully, and assistant deputy director Skinner (and the smoking man) are all back for a new series!
Old 30-01-2016, 21:28   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The X Files is back!

Do we have an air date yet?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 21:37   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Already seen a couple of them (us timeline) and although different they're still good
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 23:07   #4
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Monday 8th February Channel 5, 21:00

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...date-announced
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 23:46   #5
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Still monster of the week episodes plus a story arc? One of the best things about the original run was the ability to actually keep people watching with Monster of the week episodes that were always reasonably good.

It seems a lot of actors are ditching movies for TV returns. Absolutely loving this era of TV in which we can find the likes of Martin Freeman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Sean Bean, Kevin Spacey on TV etc. It's really overwhelming seeing the quality of TV shows now. DC and Marvel are producing 8/10 content everytime, Arrow, Flash, Agents of Shield, Daredevil. You've got a massively strong cast in Sherlock, Game of Thrones.

The Netflix era?

Will start watching the US timeline tonight as I do with everything else. Channel 5 will lose track and get massively behind. Person Of Interest fell to that problem. Another show bound for Netflix soon anyway.
Old 31-01-2016, 00:42   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Was hoping to follow this on C5 as I can't be bothered pirating it.

What's their problem with scheduling?
Old 31-01-2016, 23:03   #7
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I have watched the first two episodes shown so far.

While it was nice to see Mulder and Scully again, I wasn't impressed.

It came across to me as just yet another badly written Conspiracy episode. (Although I admit I did like how it tied into real life stuff that has happened since the series finished.)

Spoiler: 
So, just because Nina from The Americans tells Mulder that she was actually taken by men and not aliens, suddenly he just abandons his beliefs and decides "IT'S ALL BEING DONE BY THE SHADOW GOVERNMENT!", despite everything that he has seen?! And - hang on - didn't he do the same back at the start of season 5, when the word of one person made him think the whole alien side of things was a hoax and it was all being done by the government / military / corporations etc.? Why, yes he did, back in "Redux"!

It shouldn't be news to Mulder that men were carrying out abductions and experiments, or making use of alien technology - he bloody well knew the Syndicate was doing that for the Colonists and for itself back in the original series - so WTF did hearing one lone abductee say "it was men, not aliens" make him decide the Conspiracy was just men all along, rather than men working for aliens?

And it's not just everything Mulder's seen that has now conveniently been called into question just so that Carter can retcon the Conspiracy, there's everything *we've* seen too.

Nope, turns out it was all just the men in black performing a massive alien hoax because <reasons>, so that they can TAKE OVER THE WORLD WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT, even though they've *long* been in possession of badass alien-derived weapons and spacecraft and Stargate style zero point energy...

Episode two was better, but was nothing special for a MotW episode. It also had two pointless and overly long dream sequences.

It's no surprise to me that episode one was written by Chris Carter, but I expected better from James Wong for the second episode.

Episode three is written by Darin Morgan, so I'm expecting (hoping) that it will be a hell of a lot better than the first two (especially the premier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
It's really overwhelming seeing the quality of TV shows now.
Yeah... pity about the new X Files, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Was hoping to follow this on C5 as I can't be bothered pirating it.

What's their problem with scheduling?
Standard C5 uselessness when it comes to US TV...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 13:54   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Only seen the first one so far - considered it average - watchable, entertaining, but nothing special.

I suspect most peoples expectations were probably too high to start with.
The original nine seasons had a lot of poor episodes as well as really good ones, memories are often rose tinted.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 14:02   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Standard C5 uselessness when it comes to US TV...
Pretty much what the BBC used to be like, back when they screened anything from the US.

Memories of trying to chase Star Trek:TNG around the BBC2 schedule ...
Old 01-02-2016, 20:10   #10
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Only seen the first one so far - considered it average - watchable, entertaining, but nothing special.

I suspect most peoples expectations were probably too high to start with.
The original nine seasons had a lot of poor episodes as well as really good ones, memories are often rose tinted.
My expectations were low, as I've long thought that The X Files went downhill as the original series progressed anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Pretty much what the BBC used to be like, back when they screened anything from the US.

Memories of trying to chase Star Trek:TNG around the BBC2 schedule ...
Yup. And Buffy.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:06   #11
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Nostalgia for the first two I guess. Episode 3 however is on another planet, absolutely dire in my opinion. If this is the best their writer can deliver then this will be done and dusted soon. Besides Mulder and Skully, I never felt I was actually watching the X-files with that one.

People above are already pointing out just how silly it started but to get sillier.. Well It was the seriousness of the first three seasons that made this show good. High viewership eventually dies down but I'm now underwhelmed.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:41   #12
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I've been loving it so far. I missed Mulder and Scully. Found the last few series poor and the second movie pretty awful.

I think the lighthearted humerus episodes were good and sometimes really good. Bit like when Supernatural does them.
Old 02-02-2016, 14:59   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I've been loving it so far. I missed Mulder and Scully. Found the last few series poor and the second movie pretty awful.

I think the lighthearted humerus episodes were good and sometimes really good. Bit like when Supernatural does them.
Nothing will ever beat the Jose Chung's from outer space episode
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:41   #14
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Episode three was a massive improvement over episodes one and two (*especially* over episode one)... no surprise, as it was written by Darin Morgan.

A shame, then, that it's the only Darin Morgan episode in this "revival" / "event series" / "mini series"

I have no hope for Chris Carter's next episodes, five and six, being any good.
Old 03-02-2016, 19:12   #15
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

doesn't matter, it will get picked up for another season easily, I have just heard the ratings in the US alone are ridiculous.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote