Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Akamai Cache Congestion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Akamai Cache Congestion

Old 17-06-2021, 16:14   #46
InsaneNutter
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Akamai Cache Congestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
It's cropped up on reddit, enabling DoH / DoT has sorted it there as well.
Yup, I can confirm the iPlayer now works fine with DoT enabled. No issues streaming anything.
Old 17-06-2021, 23:08   #47
cje85
cf.member

cje85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
This is what I get using Google's DNS

Pretty slick.

Attachment 29103
My Google DNS result is virtually the same as above, but 1.1.1.1 takes a longer route via Paris:

tracert a1792.w60.akamai.net

Tracing route to a1792.w60.akamai.net [2.22.22.210]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms RT-AC86U-7358 [192.168.1.1]
2 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms 10.53.39.9
3 15 ms 18 ms 11 ms pres-core-2b-xe-714-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.0.160.153]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 28 ms 97 ms 108 ms 86.85-254-62.static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk [62.254.85.86]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 23 ms 32 ms 25 ms be2868.ccr41.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.57.153]
8 113 ms 33 ms 29 ms be12497.ccr41.par01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.56.130]
9 26 ms 30 ms 28 ms be3183.ccr31.par04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.38.66]
10 27 ms 28 ms 25 ms be3169.agr21.par04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.37.238]
11 29 ms 30 ms 25 ms akamai.demarc.cogentco.com [149.11.114.234]
12 30 ms 33 ms 36 ms a2-22-22-210.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [2.22.22.210]

I can see the attraction of Cloudflare DNS for those who don't use VM DNS and dislike Google but some of the routing could be better.
cje85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 12:34   #48
Robertus
cf.addict

Robertus is an unknown quantity at this point

So I’m still using VMs DNS. If I set my router to my NAS (which is synology/docker/adguard now) my internet dies. Wondering if it was due to running pihole in docker (have since deleted the container) and a port conflict, however the instance is set to use my nas ip.
Robertus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 09:07   #49
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

why don't you tell your router to use Google dns? (or cloudfare/whatever your preference is)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 10:24   #50
Robertus
cf.addict

Because as per synthetics evidence, changing dns provider kills quality on things like Nowtv/btsport. I haven’t tried google dns but I think synthetic had.
Old 22-06-2021, 16:09   #51
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Yeah it doesnt matter which you use if you dont have DOH/DoT
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 16:48   #52
Robertus
cf.addict

Synthetic - have you managed to fully resolve the issue using DoT or DoH for both BT and Now?
Old 22-06-2021, 21:31   #53
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertus View Post
Synthetic - have you managed to fully resolve the issue using DoT or DoH for both BT and Now?
Now is working fine but BT I can only resolve by adding static DNS, I'm not sure if my unbound is sending me to a dodgy cache or what
Old 22-06-2021, 22:17   #54
Robertus
cf.addict

So when I had adguard running, I set my windows pc to my DNS server - however I still experienced issues with now and bt. Bit frustrating really. I’ll try again when I can get my router/dns server playing nicely.
Old 23-06-2021, 10:58   #55
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I can't see how "pure" DNS would affect routing as all it does is translate name to IP (and back maybe). If different DNS's resolve differently that may affect things.

You could try the tracepath command which works a little bit differently and doesn't need root privileges on UNIX/LINUX. This can show if packets are fragmented and highlight asymmetric routing though the latter isn't always the problem it used to be.
Old 23-06-2021, 11:14   #56
Robertus
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I can't see how "pure" DNS would affect routing as all it does is translate name to IP (and back maybe). If different DNS's resolve differently that may affect things.

You could try the tracepath command which works a little bit differently and doesn't need root privileges on UNIX/LINUX. This can show if packets are fragmented and highlight asymmetric routing though the latter isn't always the problem it used to be.
Whatever the case, using cloudflare kills nowtv/btsport for me.

BT sport ultimate - constant buffering and unwatchable

BT SPORT HD - really bad quality with buffering, just less than ultimate

Nowtv - buffering and really poor quality

As soon as I revert to VM dns it’s fine
Old 23-06-2021, 14:44   #57
Synthetic
cf.geek

Not the best solution but do an nslookup / dig using the virgin servers, then set a static dns in your pihole for that akamai domain so when you're using CF/google, your pihole will send you to the ones you use when you're using the virgin DNS

Or i guess use virgin's DNS if you're not having any trouble with them
Old 26-06-2021, 18:31   #58
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

I've noticed a bit of latency recently, although I've not correlated it to any particular site or route, and I was, unfortunately, dealing with another issue on my MBP that saw seeing my downloads capped to 20Mbit/s, I stumbled across the solution for that by accident though.

I just ran a trace to the akamai server that was mentioned in this thread.

MOD EDIT - too large image removed and replaced with smaller image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BF380A7E-9072-4DCD-88DF-9B949AC9FAE6.jpeg (83.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Hugh; 26-06-2021 at 18:40.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 12:25   #59
Synthetic
cf.geek

So if i use google DNS it sends me to the virgin cache, and everything appear to works as it should now, i wonder if virgin have fixed their mess..

1.1.1.1 still sends me via cogento though
Old 29-06-2021, 13:47   #60
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I dont watch any terrestrial tv apart from Wimbledon every year. Yesterday i had the tennis going on my tvs, tablet and phone simultaneously using iplayer and google dns and didnt have any problems.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote