Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 17-06-2021, 22:21   #736
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
AC3 is Dolby Digital sound which doesn't necessarily mean that the video resolution is HD.
At time of posting my TiVo says that BBC One Scotland HD and Al Jazeera English are both runnng with AC3 Audio.

And both Al Jazeera Arabic Channel and Sky Witness SD Audio is MPEG1.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2021, 22:32   #737
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
That makes no sense as it wasn't posed as a question, but was you simply saying that those who don't use cable services shouldn't be using CF.

As I recall, Paul made it clear to you that everyone was welcome to post on this site whether they were a cable user or not and told you to stop saying this as you had said it previously.

...yet you chose to say it again at 18:50 yesterday to Legendkiller2K who provides very useful information to this forum. I'll leave it for others to draw their own conclusions as to who the troll stirring things up is in this particular situation.

Edit: After posting this I took a look at the changeling thread only to find that you've been posting off topic sarcastic remarks to those who take the time to keep this thread up to date:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...607636&page=88
Richard l do not care less if people post on sites they have no connection with. The question was why would they ? I can say that some people made contact not with me but with my friend . In your case why do you stay with virgin is a unfadable question. But its your choice. As your life is clearly so sad, lwish you well ,in finding the help you and some others clearly need. Just remember lincolns famous quote
Old 18-06-2021, 00:00   #738
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Your behaviour on here suggests it's you that has a sad life and needs help as opposed to anybody else that I can think of.

Now troll off.
Old 20-06-2021, 14:22   #739
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

Wonder if we are going to get any new channels this year to replace the load we seem to have lost, VM seems to be getting worse value these days
Old 20-06-2021, 18:17   #740
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabmania2 View Post
Wonder if we are going to get any new channels this year to replace the load we seem to have lost, VM seems to be getting worse value these days
It is the inevitable downward spiral, these channels are not just being dropped from VM they are closing entirely in favour of streaming services (mostly)

Totally outwith Virgins control
Old 21-06-2021, 06:59   #741
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

You're both correct IMO. As channels leave and VM increase prices, it provides less and less value.

The fact that it is outside the control of VM is true, but neither here nor there. They should be taking proactive action to mitigate this

Sky have done this by adding the streamers to their platform in order to add back (or even enhance) the lost content from removed linear channels. By working with the streamers instead of pretending that they don't exist, they are able to offer them at a discounted price or even for free.
Old 21-06-2021, 07:22   #742
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The additional stream services Sky have been adding are with a limited period of free access.

Discovery+ reverts to normal charge after into offer.

Many Sky users were upset when they found you could subscribe to Disney+ cheaper by going direct to Disney+.

Quote:
You're both correct IMO. As channels leave and VM increase prices, it provides less and less value.

The fact that it is outside the control of VM is true, but neither here nor there. They should be taking proactive action to mitigate this

Sky have done this by adding the streamers to their platform in order to add back (or even enhance) the lost content from removed linear channels. By working with the streamers instead of pretending that they don't exist, they are able to offer them at a discounted price or even for free.
Old 21-06-2021, 09:29   #743
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:

When Netflix was added to the TiVo I got it for 6 months free so Virgin have been doing this way before sky.
Old 21-06-2021, 11:16   #744
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Any evidence to back up this accusation, Richard?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-06-2021, 11:21   #745
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I think Virgin will have to accept at some point that it cannot continue to charge for fewer and fewer channels. Sooner or later, the charge will need to be for packages of streamers instead. How exactly the financing of such an arrangement would work will be interesting.
Old 21-06-2021, 11:37   #746
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

The added streamers aren't automatically added to customer's subscribed packs. One didn't compensate for the other.

Having the app available doesn't give the TV provider any of the customer's streamer subscription money unless they go through that TV provider.

Many people will have existing Netflix or Spotify, etc, accounts that they are paying directly to the streamer and simply logging in. The likes of Sky and VM aren't automatically getting a share as soon as you log in to that existing account on that device.

I'm not expecting to get a Disney+ sub automatically included on my package as a result of the loss of FOX and (later) the Nat Geos. That would be "adding back lost content", just adding an app without the access to use it on an ongoing basis, isn't adding content, it's adding a non-interactive pretty picture on the TV screen.

Adding an app is just a tile on an electronic mosiac if no subscription is included.
Old 21-06-2021, 11:55   #747
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think Virgin will have to accept at some point that it cannot continue to charge for fewer and fewer channels. Sooner or later, the charge will need to be for packages of streamers instead. How exactly the financing of such an arrangement would work will be interesting.
Why not?

They're not saving a fortune from the channels that are leaving. Often it's genuinely in the order of pennies per subscriber per month.

Customers aren't going to leave Virgin in a hurry, losing bundle discounts, to buy a basket of two or three £5-15 a month streaming services.

All that's likely to happen is that the same users end up paying more for a standalone broadband service.

If I were to move to a standalone broadband product I'd have about £12 and lose all the channels in Maxit (inc. BT Sport) in the process.
Old 21-06-2021, 12:49   #748
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

I believe Virgin Media is currently conducting a trial to bring most of the streaming services together and available to subscribers.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...t-service.html
Old 21-06-2021, 13:28   #749
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

That looks like the IPTV service for BB only customers that's being trialled.

Whether this is an attempt to upsell TV to BB only customers or if they are testing the water to see if they can eventually get rid of traditional TV and provide phone & TV via a BB only service remains to be seen.
Old 21-06-2021, 14:10   #750
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
The added streamers aren't automatically added to customer's subscribed packs. One didn't compensate for the other.

Having the app available doesn't give the TV provider any of the customer's streamer subscription money unless they go through that TV provider.

Many people will have existing Netflix or Spotify, etc, accounts that they are paying directly to the streamer and simply logging in. The likes of Sky and VM aren't automatically getting a share as soon as you log in to that existing account on that device.

I'm not expecting to get a Disney+ sub automatically included on my package as a result of the loss of FOX and (later) the Nat Geos. That would be "adding back lost content", just adding an app without the access to use it on an ongoing basis, isn't adding content, it's adding a non-interactive pretty picture on the TV screen.

Adding an app is just a tile on an electronic mosiac if no subscription is included.
That’s why I said it would be interesting. A way will need to be found of monetising the new TV environment that is emerging, otherwise the TV side of Virgin’s business will no longer be profitable.

Perhaps they should buy ITV and take some income that way!

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Why not?

They're not saving a fortune from the channels that are leaving. Often it's genuinely in the order of pennies per subscriber per month.

Customers aren't going to leave Virgin in a hurry, losing bundle discounts, to buy a basket of two or three £5-15 a month streaming services.

All that's likely to happen is that the same users end up paying more for a standalone broadband service.

If I were to move to a standalone broadband product I'd have about £12 and lose all the channels in Maxit (inc. BT Sport) in the process.
I cannot see subscribers being prepared to pay for the small number of pay tv channels that will be left if the current trend of diverting content to streamers and closing down channels continues apace, can you?

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I believe Virgin Media is currently conducting a trial to bring most of the streaming services together and available to subscribers.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...t-service.html
This may be offered to broadband-only customers in the first instance, but I can see Virgin developing this concept and offering it to existing TV customers in the future.