Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview channel renumbering and hours changes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freeview channel renumbering and hours changes

Old 12-06-2019, 16:10   #16
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freeview channel renumbering and hours changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Why would Discovery move their new acquisition Really? Out of its new portfolio lineup it's the 2nd highest rated and therefore it keeping the 2nd highest Discovery-owned Freeview EPG position makes perfect sense.

May's BARB ratings figures have just come out Quest 0.73, Really 0.67, Quest Red 0.50, DMAX 0.40, Home 0.29, Food Network 0.22

And I don't know know why Home would be axed, it's not that similar. The only other FTA of theirs, Travel Channel, they recently removed from Freeview, and its ratings at the time it was still on Freeview weren't much different than Home's in May.

Discovery will probably keep the portfolio as it is for 6 months to a year, assess them and then make a decision on the future of all their channels.
I was thinking maybe Discovery will axe Home brand for Home & Health.

We feel Discovery may axe some brands after they own the following brands in the UK:

-Really
-TLC
-I.D.
-Quest
-DMAX
-Quest Red
-Discovery Channel
-Animal Planet
-Discovery Science
-Discovery Turbo
-Discovery History
-Good Food
-Home
-Home & Health
-Discovery Shed
-Food Network
-Travel Channel

They may even launch an new brand called "Alaska Channel"

WHY?

If Discovery wants to axe some brands they can use slots for new +1 channels for Really and Discovery Shed or more HD Channels. Or even Sell the EPG slots on Sky to make some money.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2019, 16:55   #17
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
I was thinking maybe Discovery will axe Home brand for Home & Health.

We feel Discovery may axe some brands after they own the following brands in the UK:

-Really
-TLC
-I.D.
-Quest
-DMAX
-Quest Red
-Discovery Channel
-Animal Planet
-Discovery Science
-Discovery Turbo
-Discovery History
-Good Food
-Home
-Home & Health
-Discovery Shed
-Food Network
-Travel Channel

They may even launch an new brand called "Alaska Channel"

WHY?

If Discovery wants to axe some brands they can use slots for new +1 channels for Really and Discovery Shed or more HD Channels. Or even Sell the EPG slots on Sky to make some money.
Re: Home/Home & Health. Maybe. I'm never totally convinced by merging similar Pay and Free channels. If they have shows in common, sure, if they are simply similar in type but not literally the same shows on both channels there's less savings to be made and they can't guarantee it would be worthwhile for them.
-----
Moving back on topic. Freeview EPG rules say that broadcasters can only shuffle channel numbers within their portfolio once every 12 months (or something like that), so both New UKTV and Discovery have used up their moves for a year. Home got to move twice in a number of days because of the ownership change between moves.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 21:14   #18
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

More changes to True channels on Freeview
Source: www.truechannels.tv/about

Quote:
On 27th June True Entertainment will move from channel number 61 to channel number 48 and True Movies will move from Freeview channel number 62 to channel number 50. Both channels will only broadcast on Freeview in selected areas. You may have to retune to make these changes.
Could be Sony are drastically cutting costs if they are not using the wider reach multiplexes these two are on any more. They are currently on ArqA and ArqB but this implies at the same time they are getting better numbers they are moving to the Local multiplex which of course has worse coverage, but is much cheaper. Strange, if true, as they are much more popular than other channels in their portfolio.
Old 25-06-2019, 16:20   #19
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Could be Sony are drastically cutting costs if they are not using the wider reach multiplexes these two are on any more. They are currently on ArqA and ArqB but this implies at the same time they are getting better numbers they are moving to the Local multiplex which of course has worse coverage, but is much cheaper. Strange, if true, as they are much more popular than other channels in their portfolio.
Digital Bit Rate says:

Channel 48 is use right now for Movies4Men
Channel 50 is use right now for Movies4Men +1

Both are on Local Mux so Sony look set to axe Movies4Men on Freeview.
Old 25-06-2019, 16:57   #20
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Digital Bit Rate says:

Channel 48 is use right now for Movies4Men
Channel 50 is use right now for Movies4Men +1

Both are on Local Mux so Sony look set to axe Movies4Men on Freeview.
Both my TV tuner (which I did a manual scan on today) and DBR for me have M4M+1 on 48 and SMC+1 on 50 as they are meant to be until 27th. That must be a glitch you are looking at. Plus the main M4M is, IIRC, Sony's 2nd highest rating channel, so I doubt they would close it.

M4M+1 (and one other of Sony's channels) will likely be shunted to the Manchester multiplex to replace True Crime and True Crime +1 so Sony can keep as many of the channel numbers 4 channel numbers as possible.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 25-06-2019 at 17:00.
Old 26-06-2019, 04:51   #21
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

From July 1st Spotlight TV, previously Keep It Country will move to Freeview Channel 264.

Keep It Country will stop broadcasting on Freeview Channel 87 as soon as Wednesday (June 26th) night.
Old 27-06-2019, 13:28   #22
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

I've come up with a number of new possibilities for the various Freeview goings on coming up, though some are rather convoluted. And since they are mostly going to happen later today I guess we'll see soon.

Right, the initial information suggested Keep It Country was leaving Freeview on 30th June. Apparently it's now today.

This 3 day difference sets up a whole array of possible moves, especially if you reassess previously said, but ambiguous information.

Firstly the date change makes it the same day as the Sony changes.
Sony said the True Entertainment and True Movies were moving to reduced areas of broadcast. Many assumed they were both headed to the Local multiplex especially since Keep It Country wasn't apparently moving until the 30th.

The date change brings Keep It Country's space into play, it has reduced coverage (it's not in Wales, E4 uses space there due to S4C needing space) so one of the True channels could go there.

There had been no information about Pop Max or Tiny Pop moving, so this would back this up, Movie4Men+1 would be the sole Local multiplex channel to be replaced by a True channel.

So Sony would be saving money as two 90% coverage spaces would be given up for a space they already pay for, with maybe (I'm guessing) 60% population coverage, and the KIC space must cost less as it's less than 90% (without Wales).

I have a feeling M4M+1 may have to close on Freeview rather than move to the Manchester multiplex as it moved recently, and Freeview EPG rules (probably) wouldn't allow it (unless there is a loophole, as it was Sony Crime +1 in that space and changed at time of the number move). I suspect the True +1 channel on 75 would be moved to 61 (or 62) to take up the spare number and keep it in Sony's possession. They will probably give up position 75.

True Crime and it's +1 closing bring a further possibility into the mix on both Sky and Freeview. The guide data goes on until 30th. What if Sony have sold the channel and the deal goes through between the 28th and 30th. Sony could be doing what BBC and Discovery did with the double renumbering over a 3 day period with Home. Home got position 12 for a couple days so that Discovery would get the number and it was then allocated to Quest.

I'm suggesting maybe Sony has sold True Crime and this 3 days difference allows the buyer to get the numbers on both Freeview and Sky. The convoluted way is only required for the Freeview number to change hands but the owner would get a benefit on both.

With the temporary Com7 and Com8 multiplexes shutting down there will be a few channels that will want to move to permanent coverage. Those channels will be at higher EPG numbers too. For example, Smithsonian Channel has a higher number on both Freeview and Sky than True Crime. Being on 68/69/180 could appeal to them. They would make a separate deal with Arqiva for one of the vacated Sony streams so would end up with both better number and coverage.

Like I said all this is convoluted, but Sony has a history of being convoluted, just look at the long term strategy they played with Movie Mix ownership to get it's position within the Freeview rules.

It probably won't happen after all this rambling.
------------------
---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

After all my rambling above the Freeview Service Update page now says this.
Quote:
What’s changing?
Channel launches
BBC will be launching 5 Red Button services during the Wimbledon Tennis Championship – you can find these on channels 602, 603, 604, 605 and 606.

Channel closures
Movies4men+1 and POP +1 will be closing from 27 June 2019.

Channel changes

Sony Movie Channel+1 will be moving from channel 50 to 61
True Movies+1 will be moving from channel 75 to 62

Channel changes and broadcast in selected areas
These channels will change numbers and broadcast only in selected areas:

True Entertainment will be moving from channel 61 to channel 48***
True Movies will be moving from channel 62 to channel 50***

Broadcast in selected areas
These channels will now only be broadcast in selected areas:

Movies4men
Sony Crime
Pop Max

Temporarily off air
These channels are temporarily off air from 27 June 2019:

Keep it Country
True Crime
True Crime+1
This means Movies4Men main channel is moving too. And seemingly to the Keep It Country slot though it's not totally clear by the way it's put.

Looks like I got very little correct. Oh well...

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

Another update

People have clearly complained and been confused by the initial layout of the Freeview Service Update web page, they've changed the layout already to try and make it clearer.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/service-u...june-2019.html

Reading between the lines it seems basically that:
Pop Max and Sony Crime Channel are keeping their numbers moving to the Manchester multiplex to take the True Crime and True Crime+1 slots.

Their spaces (combined with M4M+1 space) on the Local multiplex will then go to True Entertainment and True Movies which simultaneously change to better numbers as their coverage reduces.

Tiny Pop remains as it, on Local multiplex timesharing with Sony Movies Channel+1, the latter moving number.

I saw a mesage of M4M yesterday, but assumed it was a mistake and should've been on +1. Clearly it wasn't, and the KIC slot would explain it.

After all this Sony have vacated 3 90% population coverage slots but kept their numbers.

The phrasing of the KIC and TC/TC+1 information, saying they are going temporarily off-air, by Freeview is interesting. KIC has already been said to be a becoming a streaming channel on the Freeview EPG, the phrasing doesn't contradict this. Given True Crime is closing though, that only makes sense if some change is going on. Maybe my sale idea (above), to transfer the numbers within Freeview's rules, is happening?

Last edited by cheekyangus; 27-06-2019 at 13:32.
Old 30-06-2019, 20:27   #23
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

We think the BBC will move BBC Four in Scotland from Channel 82 to Channel 75 soon.

BBC Four is on Channel 9 outside Scotland.

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

I think Sony own the Keep it Country slot on Freeview after all True Entertainment did use that slot before hand.

True Entertainment (Own by Sony) >> Keep it Country >> Movies4Men (Own by Sony)
Old 30-06-2019, 21:33   #24
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

You mean they sublet it? I doubt SDN would allow that. After all it is their multiplex. It's more likely a case of timing (Sony were doing a rejog of other channels anyway) and a limited market for a slot with coverage limitations.
Old 30-06-2019, 21:59   #25
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Well Channel 5 did sublet slots on Freeview to Top Up TV in the past.

Anyway our last post was just an point of view.
Old 07-08-2019, 16:39   #26
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Sony did axe three UK wide slots but Together TV has launch on one of them what about the other two slots?
Old 07-08-2019, 19:36   #27
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Sony rebrands that do away with the True brand, among others, happen on September 10th I think.

Sony closed True Crime and +1 on 27th/28th of July I think, but on Freeview they were put temporarily off air rather than properly closed to keep the numbers active. Freeview rules allow this to happen for 12 weeks before they lose their numbers. So True Crime and +1 have until the end of September to "resume".

Sony are clearly working the system again. The lengths they went to with Movie Mix before it became Sony Movie Channel are a good example of the convoluted lengths they are willing to go to.

I reckon Sony will sell the True brand and it's assets (its two remaining True channels) after the rebrand on the 10th and then the new owners will have a couple of weeks to utilise the numbers. Given this is the only way to monetise the Freeview EPG numbers. Whether this is done in tandem with a purchase of the two free slots from Arqiva is just another complication. They may go to different homes. There's a lot of potential candidates, that's for sure, with many of those channels on the temporary multiplexes looking for a permanent home, many of who also happen to be in worse channel numbers than True Crime and its +1.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 07-08-2019 at 19:40.
Old 11-08-2019, 17:03   #28
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

T. J. Hooker starts on True Entertainment on August 24th.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? starts on True Entertainment from next weekend (August 17th/18th)

Info from TiVo.
Old 11-08-2019, 18:56   #29
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
T. J. Hooker starts on True Entertainment on August 24th.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? starts on True Entertainment from next weekend (August 17th/18th)

Info from TiVo.
It's odd that two shows on the press release for the rebranding of True Entertainment as Sony Channel are starting before the rebrand happens, which is September 10th if I remember correctly.
Old 11-08-2019, 19:30   #30
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
It's odd that two shows on the press release for the rebranding of True Entertainment as Sony Channel are starting before the rebrand happens, which is September 10th if I remember correctly.
I wanted to TJ Hooker from the start (I did watch some of it on Sky One in the early '90s)

I do not know about the other shows.

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Charlie’s Angels and Starsky & Hutch is also starting on True Entertainment on August 24th.