Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky's new non-satellite service

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky's new non-satellite service

Old 05-03-2019, 11:09   #1
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Sky's new non-satellite service

Sky has launched its new non satellite SVOD service in Europe.

https://www.a516digital.com/2019/03/...e-is.html#more
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...es-in-austria/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2019, 13:19   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Sky's new non-satellite service

Well, Austria, anyway.....

(I know, I know, it's part of Europe, but there's a huge difference between Europe* and Austria**)

*743 million people

**8.8 million people
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 15:42   #3
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, Austria, anyway.....

(I know, I know, it's part of Europe, but there's a huge difference between Europe* and Austria**)

*743 million people

**8.8 million people
It will also launch in Italy this year, so this is just the start.

Interesting that they are not offering any skinny packages, which would be pretty popular.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...ffering-sky-x/

Last edited by OLD BOY; 05-03-2019 at 15:52.
Old 05-03-2019, 15:59   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It will also launch in Italy this year, so this is just the start.

Interesting that they are not offering any skinny packages, which would be pretty popular.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...ffering-sky-x/
Interesting that you assume they’d be pretty popular when one of the biggest and most experienced service providers on the planet has just taken the decision not to offer them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 20:36   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Interesting that you assume they’d be pretty popular when one of the biggest and most experienced service providers on the planet has just taken the decision not to offer them.
Well, Sky make more money that way, don't they?
Old 05-03-2019, 21:31   #6
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, Sky make more money that way, don't they?
Do they? You’d think the folks at Sky would be doing it if so. Then it’d have went from a digital marketing myth you peddle on internet forums to a viable, credible and compelling product in reality.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:37   #7
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Do they? You’d think the folks at Sky would be doing it if so. Then it’d have went from a digital marketing myth you peddle on internet forums to a viable, credible and compelling product in reality.
I think you misunderstood what I posted. I meant that Sky make more money by pricing their services as expensively as they can get away with. Not only that, but the huge quantity of channels offered are really an illusion because so much of the content is pap.

I would prefer not to have channels like Sky 2, Real Lives and Pick from the Sky stable and the vast majority of other channels I don't watch because they are simply a waste of money. However, I have to pay for them just to access the channels I do watch.

Sky could provide fewer, better quality channels without batting an eyelid but they don't consider that to be in their interests. The streaming SVOD services provide much better value for money, so I will be pleased when all the content I want to access is on there.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:22   #8
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I think it’s debatable if they are better value for money for the vast majority of people who currently subscribe to a diverse range of content. Even you have conceded elsewhere subscribers don’t want to be paying £5 here and £8 there for half a dozen packages. They like bundles.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:59   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I think it’s debatable if they are better value for money for the vast majority of people who currently subscribe to a diverse range of content. Even you have conceded elsewhere subscribers don’t want to be paying £5 here and £8 there for half a dozen packages. They like bundles.
That's why I have been of the view that both Sky and Virgin will offer bundles of VOD/streaming services in the future. Glad to see you coming around to my point of view, jfman.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:23   #10
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
That's why I have been of the view that both Sky and Virgin will offer bundles of VOD/streaming services in the future. Glad to see you coming around to my point of view, jfman.
Far from.
Old 24-03-2019, 11:13   #11
MattGarner
cf.member

MattGarner is an unknown quantity at this point

Sort of looking forward to this when they hopefully bring it out in the UK. Mainly because we can't get normal Sky and Virgin Media aren't in the area either.
MattGarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 12:38   #12
MattGarner
cf.member

MattGarner is an unknown quantity at this point

My partner got another call from Sky trying to get us to sign up to Sky TV but we can't have it anyway due to line of sight problems. (You would have thought they would have notes about this)

But anyway, they mentioned that a "TV Box" that uses the internet will be out in a few weeks they are waiting on getting enough stock into the country. I assume this is Sky X? Anyone got any more news if they have been testing this in the UK. I know they have been doing some sort of trials in other countries according to articles.
MattGarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 13:47   #13
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
VM do a skinny bundle like this in Ireland. A friend over there told me about it the other day.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

This is the VM Ireland offer for non-cabled households my Irish friend told me about recently.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/televisio...ge/freedom-tv/

Can't find much info on the Digital+ HD box it uses.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 10:39   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGarner View Post
My partner got another call from Sky trying to get us to sign up to Sky TV but we can't have it anyway due to line of sight problems. (You would have thought they would have notes about this)

But anyway, they mentioned that a "TV Box" that uses the internet will be out in a few weeks they are waiting on getting enough stock into the country. I assume this is Sky X? Anyone got any more news if they have been testing this in the UK. I know they have been doing some sort of trials in other countries according to articles.
They may or may not have a note about you having line of sight problems, but the sales people are probably using a different database that has been bought in, and may not marry up properly to their existing database, so any existing notes would not appear on their call lists.

I had a similar problem when I first got Broadband. I'd recieved dozens of calls from ADSL providers, and, because of good reviews rather than a sales call, I went for Be. The Be accepted the order, and said they would notify me when my line was ready to have ADSL added to it. I got a call a few days later saying BT had nixed my order, as they had logged a problem on my line that prevented ADSL installation. The operator at Be couldn't give me any more info as BT had only told Be that there was a problem, no what the problem was. She gave me a number to call. BT, after some explanation, and some pleading (as I was given a phone number only iSPs were supposed to use) said that my line was still logged as not having a socketed connection. They corrected that, and the order went through.

My point is that the Sales people would not have had that information. They are given nothing more than a list of numbers. The people themselves often don't even have a list. The "Sales department" is likely to be an outsourced call centre and they probably don't have a list. They have a database of numbers that the computer system dials, while displaying the details of each callee to the relevant rep. Each call would cost the company pennies, and it's probably cheaper just to call the entire list than it is for the company to vet the list properly and weed out any recipients that can't access the service for whatever reason. Sky (or in my case, BT) can do that later in the process.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 17:23   #15
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGarner View Post

I think Sky X is a skinny bundle, like Now TV. I believe that Sky’s new non-satellite option will be similar to Sky Q, but with recordings to the cloud.