Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New graphics card.. no output.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

New graphics card.. no output.

Old 08-04-2019, 21:40   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Question New graphics card.. no output.

My bro's graphics card started smearing the screen, so he bought a Aorus Geforce GTX1060 6GB GDDDRS from Amazon..

I had to shoe-horn it in (very, very carefully). PCI3 power connected (6+2). Booted. Nowt.

It just hangs on the bios screen in both hmdi and DVI-D modes (at first the DVI-D lead would not go in fully as the "blade connector" had to force it's way through a badly moulded hole).

I suspected the maxiumum length card was pushing down on the mobo's SATA data leads for the SSD boot unit. So I cleared a bit of space by rerouting some fat cables to under the mobo.

Still nowt. And the PC self-reboots if turned off.

I refitted the old card, and all works apart from the smearing.

He has a Corsair 750w PSU that should handle it, but with 3 HD's, 2 DVD players, and SSD and a separte sound card, I think it might be hitting it's limits, causing the PSU to reduce a voltage.

But it's spec says "LED power indicators. Be alert when PCI-E voltage is unstable with the smart power LED indicators. When experiencing any power abnormality, the indicator will alert gamers by flashing light."

But those led's don't flash.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2019, 22:03   #2
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New graphics card.. no output.

What model is the old card? The current psu should be more than enough to power the card, it may be that it's not sitting correctly if you are having to shoe-horn it in.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:33   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
What model is the old card? The current psu should be more than enough to power the card, it may be that it's not sitting correctly if you are having to shoe-horn it in.
The old card dates from 2012, with no details about it avavilable (even in "system").

The shoe-horning is due to the card being EXACTLY the maximum length of the space available at the PCIe slot.

I have been advised to disconnect power from the 2 DVD players and 3 HD's, just leaving the SSD powered. If the system boots, upgrade the PSU. If it doesn't send it back as DOA.
Old 09-04-2019, 14:31   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Maybe the PSU is on its way out? I had a similar problem when adding an extra HDD with the system powering down just into the POST. Turned out the output capacitors in the PSU had failed. Usually there's visual evidence as the safety vents in the top will be bulging or split.
Old 09-04-2019, 14:38   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

IIRC there can be issues with the PCIe settings in the BIOS.

Things like the DVD players will consume very little power when not being used. The Graphics card should also not use it's full power requirements unless you are doing very graphics intensive stuff.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 16:41   #6
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Could try other cables or enter bios with the old card and set to defaults then see if new card boots.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 17:32   #7
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The old card dates from 2012, with no details about it avavilable (even in "system").
If you download GPU-Z that will tell you what model the old graphics card is.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 18:41   #8
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Taf, do you know how old the pc is roughly as it just could be that the motherboard doesn't support pciex3
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 18:50   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

I'll get more info when I nip around to have another look this evening. Thanks for all the input.
Old 09-04-2019, 19:03   #10
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

just let me know if you can find out the motherboard, also perhaps check if there are bios updates for the mobo might be worth to try that as well.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 21:42   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster

The Corsair PSU is 5 years old (RM750i). A careful look inside showed no damage or swollen caps.

The old Graphics card is a ASUS Direct CU2 (4Gb). Smearing all over the screen, stuffed, but just about useable.

The motherboard and case are Gigabyte, but no other identity found. My bro says it's at least 5 years' old too. He found one mobo update about 3 years ago, nothing since (as it's so old I suspect).

I removed power from the 3 HDs and 2 DVD's and tried again with the Aorus Geforce GTX1060 (6Gb). Nowt. I removed the PCIe power connectors, and as they say, an LED next to the power socket blinked to say "no power".

So it's going back DOA.