Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 06:52   #8281
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

For clarity by “small number” and I refer to the ERG and DUP and “extremist” their views on a type of Brexit.

I agree that the number of people who want to leave the EU (the referendum result) isn’t small, and most types of Brexit aren’t extremist views.

Theresa May’s deal is supported by most Conservative MPs, and isn’t extremist, for example.
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2019, 07:28   #8282
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Not sure about politicians not wanting some sort of Brexit. The ERG and Corbyn et al, seem to want this.

However, a second referendum would at least add a veneer of legitimacy to whichever choice is preferred.
Corbyn's version of Brexit includes staying in the customs union. That is not Brexit.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:31   #8283
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Corbyn's version of Brexit includes staying in the customs union. That is not Brexit.
By it’s loose definition it does qualify as Brexit. What you mean to say is that it’s not the type of Brexit you want. Which is a different thing.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:40   #8284
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
By it’s loose definition it does qualify as Brexit. What you mean to say is that it’s not the type of Brexit you want. Which is a different thing.
It's not the Brexit people voted for. It means we can't do our own trade deals, which was what was promised and certainly was a key factor for me, alongside getting back our sovereignty, regulating immigration and dumping unwanted EU laws.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:48   #8285
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's not the Brexit people voted for. It means we can't do our own trade deals, which was what was promised and certainly was a key factor for me, alongside getting back our sovereignty, regulating immigration and dumping unwanted EU laws.
Vote Leave and Leave.EU didn't make any promises. They were suggestions.
Also remember, this is just the withdrawal agreement we're talking about, not the final deal.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:48   #8286
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
This is something that a great deal of leavers seem to have an issue with understanding, the two options on the ballot were leave and remain, it didn't specify how we left or what type of Brexit we should have.

In the next few posts no doubt there will be some leavers who will pop up with the 'I know what I voted for, leave means <insert personal preference of leave here>'

The fact is, what you know you voted for and the options that were on the ballot paper are two completely different things. Those that voted to leave agreed to let the government decide on what basis we should leave and how closely we should remained aligned to the EU. And you did so by the very general nature of the option that you selected.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:50   #8287
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
A lot of things were promised that are self evidently undeliverable (and contradictory!) and you cannot possible infer what 17.4 million individuals believed or prioritised when placing a single cross in a box.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:01   #8288
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
This is something that a great deal of leavers seem to have an issue with understanding, the two options on the ballot were leave and remain, it didn't specify how we left or what type of Brexit we should have.

In the next few posts no doubt there will be some leavers who will pop up with the 'I know what I voted for, leave means <insert personal preference of leave here>'

The fact is, what you know you voted for and the options that were on the ballot paper are two completely different things. Those that voted to leave agreed to let the government decide on what basis we should leave and how closely we should remained aligned to the EU. And you did so by the very general nature of the option that you selected.
Agreed. In one breath, it's a case of saying that it's up to the Government to implement the vote and my responsibility ceased after I cast my vote. In another breath, the Government is accused of not implementing what I voted for. People can't have it both ways.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:05   #8289
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Enough. I’m fecking tired of this discussion of Leavers didn’t know what they were voting for nonsense.

It’s gone on and on for too long so now I’m insisting this debate now moves on.

Some of you are being very provocative, posts like ... “I bet leavers will post the following after I say this....” This is Unacceptable, divisive language.

Time to move the debate on and the “tone” of the thread being antagonistic to cease immediately.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:14   #8290
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Good point, well made . . . no deal it is then
Not going to happen for 2 reasons:

1/ Parliament, honouring their obligation to serve the best interests of the country, will block it
2/ no democratic mandate. Leave campaign explicitly stated leaving would be with a negotiated deal

This last point is underlined by a certain Mr Gove:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Tory-MPs.html

Quote:
Leaving without a deal on March 29 would not honour that commitment. It would undoubtedly cause economic turbulence. Almost everyone in this debate accepts that
Old 11-03-2019, 08:35   #8291
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

The EU really showing it’s corrupted true colours, I’m flabbergasted as to why folk, don’t want the UK to flourish on its own, unteathered to it. But a story today in express says ALL EU Members to adopt the Euro in 2020.

Oh please let there be another Referendum. Another Leave win is a dead cert if the EU force the UK to drop the £. (Pending on whether we’re still in the corrupted bloc).
Old 11-03-2019, 08:41   #8292
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Wrong.

You still don't get it, it doesn't matter what vote takes place and how it goes on Wednesday, the vote may very well be pulled yet, to keep no deal, on the table, even so, you're forgetting the leave date is enshrined in to law, delaying A50 will not be enough on it's own, Statute can only override Statute, the default is leaving the EU, deal or no deal on 29th March
I don't think the vote tomorrow will take place, let alone the one on Wednesday. If facing defeat then run away/kick the can down the road again, the old girls got form. Doubtless it will be postponed till 29th March at 10:55pm.....
Old 11-03-2019, 08:42   #8293
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
The EU really showing it’s corrupted true colours, I’m flabbergasted as to why folk, don’t want the UK to flourish on its own, unteathered to it. But a story today in express says ALL EU Members to adopt the Euro in 2020.
Not taking either side here but remember people think differently about a good many things Mick and the EU is not different to that as has been shown in all its Technicolor these past few years.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:49   #8294
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

Oh please let there be another Referendum. Another Leave win is a dead cert if the EU force the UK to drop the £. (Pending on whether we’re still in the corrupted bloc).
That story is not true.

I’d like the UK to flourish and I think that’s more likely to happen with a close trading relationship with our closest neighbours and the second largest single market in the world (and it’s global trade deals) than being outside.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:53   #8295
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
That story is not true.

I’d like the UK to flourish and I think that’s more likely to happen with a close trading relationship with our closest neighbours and the second largest single market in the world (and it’s global trade deals) than being outside.
Fake news! Surely not ! Anyway Mick doesn't read the tabloids
Closed Thread