Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

Old 02-04-2019, 11:13   #31
john4ml
Inactive

john4ml is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

Follow up : in my case, we never did get the service with Static IPs running. We ended up reverting back to a dynamic IP and that works fine.
I want to acknowledge help and especially a huge amount of time, from member here CCARMOCK who gave me a huge amount of help, through PM. Thank you.
john4ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2020, 21:53   #32
TrickyZXR
cf.member

TrickyZXR is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ccarmock,

Sorry to bump this thread and revive it but looks like you know what you are talking about so if you don't mind can I ask a question please?

I am looking to get Virgin Media business ADSL which has the Hitron CGNV4 and VM can't seem to 100% confirm if, as per the manual, that the LAN subnet has to be a /24 (255.255.255.0) and can't be set as anything else.

My current network runs over 172.16.254.xxx + 172.16.0.xxx + 172.16.2.xxx and so on so on.

So is it possible to set the subnet as a /16 so all my subnets can gain access to the www?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards

TrickyZXR
TrickyZXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 22:08   #33
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

VMB still does ADSL???????
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 22:10   #34
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I think you must mean Business cable broadband as opposed to ADSL. So my Hitron is in fixed IP address mode which means the IP address range for the LAN is locked to my fixed IP range. However if you are going for either a dynamic IP address, or single fixed static then yes you can change the LAN IP range and subnet mask - so should be able to set it as a /16, and can chose the IP range you want to use.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 21:52   #35
eventgroup
cf.member

eventgroup is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Hi John - happy to help if I can..... I have the exact same setup - thr 350 Mb/s business service with 5 static IP addresses. I also have a Draytek behind it performing the standard router based services - such as NAT, Access control/Firewall etc, VPN tunnels.

First question - which model Draytek are you using?

You are right the Hitron doesn't have modem mode when configured for static IP addressing. And while it's not in modem mode it's as close as you will get in this setup. In a multi-static mode it will perform no NAT function - your Draytek can do that for you.

In the LAN setup of the Hitron you will see several options are greyed out and configured as your static IP range - usually the first usable IP address in your range will be there.

You will also see a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248 if you have 5 static addresses.

Suggest configure a static WAN address on your Draytek and make it the very next IP address up from the one configured on the LAN of your Hitron.

And set a static default route on the Draytek to point to the LAN IP address of the Hitron.

No wait time needed - this should all take affect and work from the moment you correctly configure it.

Shout if I can help more....

Given it's the same setup I have I am sure we can get you up and running.
Hi my friend hope you can spare the time to help me I have the same package as you but experiancing problems on and off connectivity could you tell me the config details as on your Draytek WAN? Also clarify "from the one configured on the LAN of your Hitron."
&&&&
"And set a static default route on the Draytek to point to the LAN IP address of the Hitron."

Any help you can provided will be much appriciated I need to know my settings are correct Thanks

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Hi my friend hope you can spare the time to help me I have the same package as you but experiancing problems on and off connectivity could you tell me the config details as on your Draytek WAN? Also clarify "from the one configured on the LAN of your Hitron."
&&&&
"And set a static default route on the Draytek to point to the LAN IP address of the Hitron."

Any help you can provided will be much appriciated I need to know my settings are correct Thanks
eventgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 21:58   #36
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

No problem - the Draytek I have is a 2960.
The WAN port is setup as a static service.

So Your Hitron will have a range of IP addresses configured on it's LAN. To see what that is login to the Hitron on 192.168.0.1 and then browse to Admin -> VMB IP Service

The IP address you want will be listed at the boottom 'Your static IP address is:'

Use this address with the last number incremented by 1 as the WAN address on your Draytek. In the Draytek config set the WAN subnet mask to 255.255.255.248. Finally the Draytek WAN gateway IP address is the static address you found from the Hitron.

Then ensure that the Draytek WAN port is connected to any one of the 4 Hitron Ethernet ports.

That is the minimum config you need to make this work.

I also have the Connection detection mode on the WAN interface of the Draytek set to PING
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote