Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Game of Thrones

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Game of Thrones

Old 21-04-2019, 12:08   #181
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Given the popularity of the series and how widely accessible it is I am going to assume anybody who would want to see it has seen it as we are now 5 days post airing so I am not wrapping anything in spoiler tags.

It feels like we have been waiting forever for this final season so although the remaining episodes are in limited supply it feels very fitting that the first episode would be spent bringing everyone together. We had a bit of it in the finale of the last season with the Starks coming together and they have built on that with all the good guys being in the same place; even Jamie.
As always there are lots of little stories on the go and we are being teased with certain reactions and emotions to things. On the plus side I enjoyed seeing Rob build on his relationship with Daenerys and the dragons. In terms of the little things which can throw a spanner in the works, Sam looked too upset and angry over the news of his father and brother's death and I am wondering if he is going to try and get some vengeance by poisoning Daenerys or something. It will be an interesting twist, especially if Jon has to kill him to protect her, but I'll be annoyed because it is totally unrealistic. Like Tyrion, Sam has known nothing but resentment from his father all his life and should be happy that he is now out of the picture. More importantly though, I am dying to see what happens with Sansa and Daenerys. You can tell by the way she talks and her facial expressions that Sansa hates Daenerys and things are going to go one of two ways; Sansa is going to learn to like and respect her as everyone else has or something is going to happen where she feels betrayed and she is going to want to do something about it. Although Daenerys has got the Unsullied and all the guards around her, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that something can happen if Sansa wants it to. The North is united behind her and there are plenty of people in Winterfell who will risk their lives if they think they are doing the right thing.

I think the next episode is going to be intense. I know it is only episode 2 but without giving any spoilers away I am sure it is the episode which contains the longest battle scene ever recorded. Make sure you have got your snacks and nibbles ready!!!
Some interesting thoughts General as its episode one was akin to "The board is set and the pieces are moving" ready for the great battle that is to come.

Obviously the north is very unwelcoming to outsiders given their reactions in this episode but that is nothing new.

Not sure l would worry much about Sam as l personally think he will come round pretty quickly and personally l cannot see him poisoning Daenerys.

Obviously Sansa and Daenerys are not bosom buddies and l think one of those will die in a future episode.

Obviously Jamie turns up later in the episode and he has far more enemies then friends.

l think Bran Stark has a huge role to play in future episodes.

Also what type of part does the Winterfell crypts play as l think it will play a significant part personally.

What will Cersei and her new found Golden Company do.

Obviously episode two will give us far more clues then the opening episode that much is clear as that was very much a teaser.
Old 21-04-2019, 13:29   #182
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
they have hit the nail on the head and I was thinking the same thing before I even read the article. We talk about how successful the series is globally but it isn't going to be available in every country in the world and even those that can get it aren't necessarily going to have it on the day it airs in the US etc. It is only natural that when something is in the news that people take an interest and say "I want to see it as well". We are lucky that Sky shows it the same time that it airs in the US but I remember years ago (early 2000s) when everything was 1-4 weeks behind and they made a big thing and advertised it to death when 24 was on and they aired it "the day after the US". You could understand smaller countries with less money like Iceland not being able to afford it but you would have thought there are big enough broadcasters in India (given the population size) that could easily get it if they wanted to. When I went to Egypt a few years ago on hols they have their version of Sky One which was dedicated to all the current US series and it was broadcast through the Arab states.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 03:40   #183
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I think the next episode is going to be intense. I know it is only episode 2 but without giving any spoilers away I am sure it is the episode which contains the longest battle scene ever recorded. Make sure you have got your snacks and nibbles ready!!!
Apparently not

It did have its moments though, not least of which saw Arya get a bit of action

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 07:42   #184
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I loved this weeks ep, even more so as I was expecting the big battle which is now next week's ep I just love how well paced everything is and they have built on what I said last week.

Spoiler: 
Everyone is together, even the wildlings and nightswatch and every single person has had the time to say what they want to and make things right so if anyone dies next week nothing has been left unsaid. I loved it so much. I know some people might complain we have only got 6 eps and that was a wasted ep action wise but it is the little subtleties like this that score a big plus on my realism factor. There were many special moments but there are four which stood out for me.

1) Jamie knighting Brien
2) Jorah talking to Lyanna Mormont, I never ever thought they were going to come together.
3) The little girl in the food line talking to Davos and saying she is going to defend the crypt. I don't mind admitting that I shed a tear.
4) The conversation in the library between Kahleesi and Sansa. There is something there and are we going to have another Blackwater Bay moment where in the heat of battle one of Sansa's men tries and kills Kahleesi.
Old 29-04-2019, 22:09   #185
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Well that episode was a bloody nightmare to watch. Seriously who decided to shoot such dark scenes? Not all of us have HDR screens. The issue was compounded with the mist/fog stuff and the amount of movement they had. The fire scenes, unless they were close ups, didn't help since the contrast between dark/light was too big. I noticed this issue last episode too but since it was dialogue driven it wasn't too much of an issue but entire scenes passed by with me struggling to work out what was happening.

I am actually now on Google to see if I missed any character moments/deaths.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 22:29   #186
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The issue was compounded with the mist/fog stuff and the amount of movement they had
I heard Kahlessi has lodged a formal complaint, she nearly lost the battle because her dragon couldn't see where to spray

Quote:
entire scenes passed by with me struggling to work out what was happening.
I thought it was just me and put it down to their artistic filming trying to make it look like a chaotic battle. I hoped that if anything important was going to happen that they would made a point of shoving it in our face. They kept showing us Sam, Brienne and Jamie at deaths door, I don't know how on earth they survived. The three main characters that I noticed die are
Spoiler: 
Jorah, Theon and Lyanna Mormont
I was expecting at least one third of the main characters to bite the dust, especially Jon or Kahlessi, but it looks like they are saving them for Cersei.
I did enjoy the ep though just for Arya.
Spoiler: 
I have had a feeling for a while that she would be the one to kill the night king
Most of the character's story arcs are coming to fruition and it would have been the perfect testament to her character. When I saw her with the plans for the spear and asking Gendry to make it I knew for certain.
Old 30-04-2019, 00:03   #187
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Watch Game of Thrones, they said. There'll be no emotional trauma, they said...

Drained, emotionally drained...

"What do we say to the God of Death?" - "Not today!"

I had heard comments about the lighting, so I watched in a darkened room, and that worked (except for the "scaring the crap out of me" moments - not so much; now calming down with a large single malt).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 30-04-2019 at 00:16.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 02:51   #188
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well that episode was a bloody nightmare to watch. Seriously who decided to shoot such dark scenes? Not all of us have HDR screens. The issue was compounded with the mist/fog stuff and the amount of movement they had. The fire scenes, unless they were close ups, didn't help since the contrast between dark/light was too big. I noticed this issue last episode too but since it was dialogue driven it wasn't too much of an issue but entire scenes passed by with me struggling to work out what was happening.

I am actually now on Google to see if I missed any character moments/deaths.
Director of photography Fabian Wagner.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ell-long-night
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 05:57   #189
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Well it was certainly both exhilarating and emotional.
Old 30-04-2019, 08:11   #190
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

This was my favourite scene I think:

---------- Post added at 08:11 ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I had heard comments about the lighting, so I watched in a darkened room, and that worked (except for the "scaring the crap out of me" moments - not so much; now calming down with a large single malt).
Yeah I watched it like that and it did help but I ended up putting it a monitor and messing with the contrast to get figures/things to stand out against the dark which really messed up the 'proper' scenes.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:16   #191
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I heard Kahlessi has lodged a formal complaint, she nearly lost the battle because her dragon couldn't see where to spray

I thought it was just me and put it down to their artistic filming trying to make it look like a chaotic battle.
I quite enjoyed it. It was too dark, but I don't think that massively impacted my enjoyment.

Where I do have a little but of a complaint though is in some areas (particularly in the scenes with Danny and the Night king, they managed to make the CGI look like they'd gone back to the 90s.. The fire (something they've traditionally done with in GoT) was particularly unconvincing in places.

Also, I know that they get headlines, but I wish Hollywood would stop with the massive battle sequences. I find that to get emotionally involved with a scene, I have to care about the characters (whether I like or hate them, I have to feel something). I find it hard to care about hundreds of thousands of CGI characters, even when I can see them properly (which thanks to the lighting, I couldn't). Obviously, I care about the main characters in GoT (I like all of them, good or bad), but it was hard to focus on them.

That said, I enjoyed both the battle and episode (especially the music). Not sure about the ending. Part of me thinks Arya killing the Night King could lead to interesting storylines, but part of me was reminded of all those endings in the New Doctor Who where he was facing the end of the known universe and just pushed a button to solve it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:21   #192
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I find it hard to care about hundreds of thousands of CGI characters, even when I can see them properly (which thanks to the lighting, I couldn't). Obviously, I care about the main characters in GoT (I like all of them, good or bad), but it was hard to focus on them.
I know what you mean but I think it was right to have a busy and chaotic battle so emphasise the gravity of the situation. I think we are going to get more intimate and one-to-one fights in the battle for the iron throne as individual characters try to resolve their differences. I can't wait to see the Clegane fight. You have also got Bron after Tyrion and Jamie now, I am hoping he is going to do the right thing. You never know, he might be the one to kill Cersei
Old 04-05-2019, 19:56   #193
denphone
Still alive and fighting

With Ramsey Bolton and King Joffrey gone Cersei is definitely the one that many want to see killed off.
Old 04-05-2019, 20:27   #194
General Maximus
Ran Away

Yup but who is going to be the one to do it? Cersei is on Arya's list and i would love to see her do it as a faceless person but it wouldnt be fair to let her be responsible for killing both the main bad guys. Cersei is more plotter and schemer than physically combative so i cant see her having a sword fight with Jon and Jon killing her. Her death needs to be bitter and mean something so i am wondering whether it will be somebody like Sansa and she'll use poison.
Old 04-05-2019, 20:31   #195
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Yup but who is going to be the one to do it? Cersei is on Arya's list and i would love to see her do it as a faceless person but it wouldnt be fair to let her be responsible for killing both the main bad guys. Cersei is more plotter and schemer than physically combative so i cant see her having a sword fight with Jon and Jon killing her. Her death needs to be bitter and mean something so i am wondering whether it will be somebody like Sansa and she'll use poison.
l don't know as my money is on it being a very clever death.