Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 15:38   #7531
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Can someone tell ianch99 that the worlds economies are also not very stable either
Bless. You do know that you can tell me yourself?

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
You need telling yourself - You post as if it's all to do with Brexit and nothing else - it isn't.

You do know there is a German Recession?

Also....
  • Ireland is in trouble, Italy also in recession. these are EU Member States..... No comment on these troubling times in the corrupted EU and it's economic bubble ???
  • No comment on the absolute dire youth unemployment in Greece, not far off 50%?!?!?!?!
  • And the corrupted EU appears to be doing bugger all about it.
  • No comment on Protesters in France having their hands blown off by Macron's heavy handed tactics at the weekend, I've seen footage of old people being beaten around the head by heavy handed police forces, some vehicles with the EU flag on, is this what the EU represents, utter disgusting violence being levied against it's citizens in a perfectly legitimate democratic process???

It is not looking at all rosy in the disgusting and corrupted, dictatorship EU, at the moment.

Anti-EU Sentiment is rising sharply. As it should for the Anti-Democratic and corrupted EU.
What on earth do you mean by "No comment on Protesters in France having their hands blown off"? Very strange ..

Do you think repeating "corrupted EU", "dictatorship EU", etc. ad nauseam really moves the debate forward?
Old 11-02-2019, 15:53   #7532
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Thought i'd share some advice I received today.

If we leave the EU without a deal, passports will have to have at least six months left before expiry or travel will be refused.

If the EHIC card ceases to be valid, insurance prices will go up as, apparently, the benefits of free/reduced price health treatment are factored in when insurance prices are calculated.
Old 11-02-2019, 16:06   #7533
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

All true, but at the same time that has all been fairly widely discussed in here and in the media recently.

Having six months left on your passport is the normal rule. Only within the Schengen area is it reduced to one month or less. It is convenient if your passport happens to be coming to its end but in the context of a 10 year lifespan, for most people, most of the time, it makes little practical difference.

As far as travel insurance goes, yes, it’s true that insurers currently rely on the provisions of the EHIC to keep their costs down. When you fall ill while travelling within the EU they expect you to rely on your EHIC and for that reason they will not normally cover you for any medical expenses that are covered by the EHIC. Worth remembering, however, is that in most places state medical provision involves co-payment or pay-and-claim, and you only get the same state medical cover as a resident of the country would be entitled to. If the UK entirely withdraws from the EHIC system then yes, you will have to have travel insurance to cover any and all costs, and that is inevitably going to cost more. However, I’d argue that what you end up with, for a near-trivial increase in the overall cost of your holiday, is a far more comprehensive medical cover than you get with the EHIC.

This to me illustrates one of the central follies of the continuing remain campaign against leaving the EU (or else leaving softly, in name only). The increase in cost and inconvenience in terms of travelling within the EU is minor, and only affects those who actually travel. Most people don’t travel overseas, or do only rarely. The ones who do so regularly and face maximum inconvenience are the ones best able to afford it and most able to do the admin.

Polly Toynbee railing against Brexit because it makes it harder for her to visit Tuscany isn’t a good look when large swathes of impoverished communities in this country, who voted Leave, can only dream of that sort of luxury.
Old 11-02-2019, 16:17   #7534
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Yes, David, our exports will become 20% more competitive. However, the UK is not a primary manufacturer, we need to import parts and raw materials to make finished goods and they will be 20% more expensive. Let's also ignore the tariff and non-tariff trade barriers too...
Someone should tell David Davis the pound is presently down 20% from it’s 5 year high in 2015. Manufacturing hasn’t took off.
Old 11-02-2019, 16:49   #7535
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Thought i'd share some advice I received today.

If we leave the EU without a deal, passports will have to have at least six months left before expiry or travel will be refused.

If the EHIC card ceases to be valid, insurance prices will go up as, apparently, the benefits of free/reduced price health treatment are factored in when insurance prices are calculated.
Posted on the 2nd February in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Heads up for anyone going on holiday or work in the EU (except Ireland) and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland after March 2019, if we have a "no deal" Brexit - you will need to have six months left on your passport at the end of your travel, whereas currently you don’t.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport...e-after-brexit

This is neither pro or anti-Brexit, just trying to help people before the rush in April/May (if we have a ‘no deal’ Brexit when people realise they will need to get a passport sooner than they thought*).

*me, for instance, as up to today I thought my passport, which expires in October 19, would cover me for Barcelona in May, Italy in June, and Cyprus in September.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 11-02-2019, 17:23   #7536
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Posted on the 2nd February in this thread...
What's the current arrangement? Presumably all is well if your passport covers the duration of your stay??
Old 11-02-2019, 17:36   #7537
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The passport thing isn't too bad. I thinking the fact EU-wide roaming is going is the bigger issue for me, it's been so useful the last few years where you don't have to switch off a bunch of stuff on the phone, ration map usage, try and make you're in a wi-fi spot when doing anything real only to get a £60 addition to the monthly phone bill anyway
Old 11-02-2019, 17:57   #7538
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The passport thing isn't too bad. I thinking the fact EU-wide roaming is going is the bigger issue for me, it's been so useful the last few years where you don't have to switch off a bunch of stuff on the phone, ration map usage, try and make you're in a wi-fi spot when doing anything real only to get a £60 addition to the monthly phone bill anyway
What actually happens with mobile networks will be unclear. Vodafone included some roaming prior to the EU rule coming into force, and their existing free roaming zone includes Turkey which has a Vodafone network.

As Telefonica O2 and Vodafone operate across the Eurozone I don’t think they will go back to charging. They may offer a limited data allowance instead of the full UK allowance.
Old 11-02-2019, 18:00   #7539
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
<SNIP>

Do you think repeating "corrupted EU", "dictatorship EU", etc. ad nauseam really moves the debate forward?
I'll add "perfidious", "hegemonic" and "awful" to Mick's list. You need reminding.

The Remainers' constant stream of Project Fear material certainly doesn't take the debate forward.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 11-02-2019, 18:01   #7540
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
What's the current arrangement? Presumably all is well if your passport covers the duration of your stay??
It does - but if we have a "no deal" Brexit, it won't cover any of my trips (as it will have less than six months).

I will be renewing it this weekend, that way I won't have any concerns (having paid for the flights, GP tickets, and accommodation for the Barca trip, it would be silly to put those at risk).
Old 11-02-2019, 18:07   #7541
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
You need telling yourself - You post as if it's all to do with Brexit and nothing else - it isn't.

You do know there is a German Recession?

Also....
  • Ireland is in trouble, Italy also in recession. these are EU Member States..... No comment on these troubling times in the corrupted EU and it's economic bubble ???
  • No comment on the absolute dire youth unemployment in Greece, not far off 50%?!?!?!?!
  • And the corrupted EU appears to be doing bugger all about it.
  • No comment on Protesters in France having their hands blown off by Macron's heavy handed tactics at the weekend, I've seen footage of old people being beaten around the head by heavy handed police forces, some vehicles with the EU flag on, is this what the EU represents, utter disgusting violence being levied against it's citizens in a perfectly legitimate democratic process???

It is not looking at all rosy in the disgusting and corrupted, dictatorship EU, at the moment.

Anti-EU Sentiment is rising sharply. As it should for the Anti-Democratic and corrupted EU.
  • Germany isn't in recession - it has had one bad quarter, mainly due to low car sales. Annualised growth is about the same as the UK at 1.1%
  • Italy isn't in recession either though that's closer with two bad quarters
  • Irelands GDP growth last quarter was 4.5x the UKs. Annualised growth is the same. Growth in Ireland is softening due to some troublesome neighbours
  • Greeces youth unemployment is bad but it's nowhere near 50%. Greeces GDP growth is 5x the UKs. Annualised, it's still twice the UK
Old 11-02-2019, 18:23   #7542
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
What actually happens with mobile networks will be unclear. Vodafone included some roaming prior to the EU rule coming into force, and their existing free roaming zone includes Turkey which has a Vodafone network.

As Telefonica O2 and Vodafone operate across the Eurozone I don’t think they will go back to charging. They may offer a limited data allowance instead of the full UK allowance.
It was on the news today that only two of the networks will continue with free roaming and that there's no guarantee that this will continue indefinitely.

Anyone affected would be better off buying a local PAYG SIM card than paying roaming charges.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Quote:
It does - but if we have a "no deal" Brexit, it won't cover any of my trips (as it will have less than six months).

I will be renewing it this weekend, that way I won't have any concerns (having paid for the flights, GP tickets, and accommodation for the Barca trip, it would be silly to put those at risk).
Yes, I think i'd do the same. Presumably if someone had two weeks left and travelled before 11pm on Brexit day, they would be ok for their fortnights holiday??
Old 11-02-2019, 18:42   #7543
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Not a risk I would take (flights get delayed...)
Old 11-02-2019, 18:44   #7544
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:

My password quite aptly expires on Brexit Day. I will be renewing it the week before on principle after returning from Madrid on the March 25th
Old 11-02-2019, 18:50   #7545
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I wonder if those who renew their passports early simply lose out on what they have paid for, or if the unexpired portion is added onto the new passport??
Closed Thread