Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub 3 wont connect thru ethernet switch ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub 3 wont connect thru ethernet switch ?

Old 20-04-2019, 15:04   #1
davemaden
Inactive

davemaden is an unknown quantity at this point
Superhub 3 wont connect thru ethernet switch ?

i have a superhub 3 and all was working fine , now it wont connect to anything through various ethernet switches , i have tried 3 now and they are new so not a faulty switch . why is this and how can i fix it ? or is the hub broken ? thanks
davemaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2019, 15:27   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: superhub 3 wont connect thru ethernet switch ?

Have you tried connecting the switch to a different port?
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 19:45   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Have you tried connecting the switch to a different port?
e.g. if you were using port 2 on the shub before, try using port 3. When the cables are connected are the legs on, green and flicking? If it was all working fine before the chances are something has changed and by process of elimination it the shub. The first thing I would do it reboot the shub by pulling the power cable out the back and putting it back in again and if that doesn't work have a look at the gui and see what it says. I have never used the shub as a router before but it should be able to tell you which devices it can see on the network.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 22:02   #4
davemaden
Inactive

i have now got green leds flashing , but when i connect anything through any ethernet switch , anything connected after the switch keeps loosing internet connection , but im sure its not the switch because i have tried 3 . virgin tested the superhub and said if lights are flashing then its ok . thanks
is there any other way to connect my devices ? could i use another router or do i have to use the sh 3 because im a virgin customer ? if i can use a different router which do you recommend ? would i have to have the sh in modem mode then connect another router ? or could i get rid of the sh . thanks

Last edited by davemaden; 20-04-2019 at 22:07.
Old 20-04-2019, 23:12   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

You must use the SH but you can put it in modem mode and use your own router. Choice would be dependant on your preference, needs and budget.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 23:36   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I am off to the land of nod now, i shall impart some words of wisdom tomorrow.
Old 21-04-2019, 12:02   #7
mike86
cf.addict

mike86 is on a distinguished roadmike86 is on a distinguished road

Is your SH3 in modem mode? If it is, you need to return it to router mode to use your switch.
mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 14:19   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

I thought this sounded familiar yesterday when I read it. Get ready for a blast from the past:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33706196

I suggest you employ the same troubleshooting methodology that you used last year and see how things go.
Old 22-04-2019, 10:10   #9
davemaden
Inactive

Yes it's the same problem I had before , I didn't realise it was exactly the same. I have managed to get some devices working through the switch, just struggling with the connection to the CCTV system. When I plug the ethernet cable into the CCTV system, after a few minutes, it cause the CCTV cameras to go offline ,even though the port lights are flashing on the CCTV system DVR. Will try new cable and post back .thanks for your help.
Old 23-04-2019, 08:39   #10
davemaden
Inactive

Re: Superhub 3 wont connect thru ethernet switch ?

i think it may be the tp link tl-sf1005d ethernet switch that is at fault , i am having to run from sh through 2 of these switches and 2nd one seems to be causing the problem , i have disconnected it and all has worked ok for the last hour . Is it possible for a faulty ethernet switch to stop something working that is directly wired to the SH ? also can you recommend a better switch to use , preferably with at least 4 ports ? thanks
Old 23-04-2019, 09:59   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-por...r=8-1-fkmrnull
Old 23-04-2019, 11:20   #12
davemaden
Inactive

Thanks .would a faulty switch cause this problem with the SH , anything that is directly hardwired to it to lose internet connection.
Old 23-04-2019, 11:52   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

If the switch is faulty I would imagine it would just take down the port on the shub it is connected to rather than the whole shub but as it a shub and not a proper router who knows. Rather than assuming the switch is at fault I prefer to attribute the difficulties to one device and through process of elimination disconnect everything from the switch and reconnect one device at a time to see what is causing the problem.

As an fyi for the future, the shub really isn't designed to cope with the traffic on complex lans with ip cameras, servers and whatever else you have got going on. If you want everything to work seamlessly you need to invest in a proper router, some switches and decent cabling and put the shub in modem mode. You are looking around £200-£250 for the whole lot. If a job is worth doing it is worth doing properly.