Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Last Flextech channel standing.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Last Flextech channel standing.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:15   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Last Flextech channel standing.

Challenge will soon be the last channel brand standing from the old Flextech operation when Sky Living becomes Sky Witness.

I wonder how long Challenge will last, the channel has been stuck in a rut for a few years now, with less classic game shows, no original commissions etc.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2018, 18:22   #2
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Last Flextech channel standing.

The problem is, as with all old British shows, is that they are dated in nature and are poor quality, picture wise. Anything pre digital and pre widescreen looks awful on a large modern tv.

I watch the old Millionaire eps, as at least they are from this century and a few bullseyes occasionally, but that's about it.
Old 06-07-2018, 18:25   #3
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Personally, I have always thought that a re-vamped Challenge TV with brand new shows and audience participation would be an attractive proposition. You could even have prizes for some shows.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 18:27   #4
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

The thing is the "market" is already being covered by the main channels. Since the kids shows got relegated to other places and we've gone the American road of having all quiz shows on in the late afternoon/early evening, most people get their quiz "fill" that way and don't need to look elsewhere.
Old 06-07-2018, 18:59   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
The thing is the "market" is already being covered by the main channels. Since the kids shows got relegated to other places and we've gone the American road of having all quiz shows on in the late afternoon/early evening, most people get their quiz "fill" that way and don't need to look elsewhere.
Challenge TV in its present form is antiquated. They cannot keep showing these old shows and expect to get much of an audience.

However, I do think that audience participation is the key to success. Unless they do this, they probably won't still be around in a couple of years or so.
Old 06-07-2018, 19:23   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Challenge TV in its present form is antiquated. They cannot keep showing these old shows and expect to get much of an audience.
Challenge is still one of Sky's best-performing channels.
https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/...ewing-summary/

If it's not broken...
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 19:39   #7
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

If it's not broken...
I am amazed that people are still watching that! Ok, I stand corrected!
Old 10-07-2018, 23:19   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

If it's not broken...
I think the fact that it's also FTA and on Freeview & Freesat will have helped to achieve this.

Maybe Sky have finally realised the advantages of having a mixed FTA/pay portfolio and this could be why there's speculation that Sky Arts & Real Lives are to go FTA??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:33   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I think the fact that it's also FTA and on Freeview & Freesat will have helped to achieve this.

Maybe Sky have finally realised the advantages of having a mixed FTA/pay portfolio and this could be why there's speculation that Sky Arts & Real Lives are to go FTA??
Pick on Freesat is just a great big advert for Sky, showing stuff that was on Sky One a decade ago and running endless commercials for what’s currently on Sky Sports, Movies and Atlantic.

If you use the skip forwards button on my Freesat remote to dodge the adverts, two presses brings you precisely to the end of the branded goods section of the commercial break and onto the beginning of about a minute of Sky ‘coming soon’ stuff. That section is too short to use the skip button again, so you have to fast-forward, which means you see the Sky showreel, even if at 4x speed, even if you don’t hear it.

I have always thought that Sky has only ever valued FTA channels as a way of promoting their paywall content. The paywall stuff is what their business model rests on and I can’t see them doing anything to undermine it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:02   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Pick on Freesat is just a great big advert for Sky, showing stuff that was on Sky One a decade ago and running endless commercials for what’s currently on Sky Sports, Movies and Atlantic.

If you use the skip forwards button on my Freesat remote to dodge the adverts, two presses brings you precisely to the end of the branded goods section of the commercial break and onto the beginning of about a minute of Sky ‘coming soon’ stuff. That section is too short to use the skip button again, so you have to fast-forward, which means you see the Sky showreel, even if at 4x speed, even if you don’t hear it.

I have always thought that Sky has only ever valued FTA channels as a way of promoting their paywall content. The paywall stuff is what their business model rests on and I can’t see them doing anything to undermine it.
I kind of agree, although I would say that Sky Arts and Real Lives are not channels of mass appeal, so I think Richard could be right in his assessment of this.

I think your points are also relevant, Chris, and Sky would not contemplate doing the same for any of its flagship channels that attract viewers to the satellite system (Sky One/Two and Sky Atlantic).