Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

Old 31-05-2018, 11:45   #46
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

First cable tv in the UK was in 1938, apparently, bet some mug somewhere is paying VM for the same equipment still
http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/cable...-tv-in-the-uk/
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2018, 11:54   #47
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

We had the pace 4000 STB until a software upgrade bricked it. Then the Samsung which is in a cupboard somewhere as when we got the Cisco VHD box VM said they'd collect it and never did.

Guess I can safely send it for recycling now.
Old 31-05-2018, 14:24   #48
trueblood
cf.member

Services: TV XL Phone M BB XL 200 MB V6 x 2
trueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
V+ is not being discontinued yet. It is the V-boxes that are going in the next two months.

When V+ is eventually discontinued, I would expect V6 to be offered as a replacement provided you can have one (i.e. you have VM broadband and your TV supports HDMI). If not, you'll get a TiVo.
Thanks spider,the problem was that i could not change my bundle without having the V+ removed. Is this correct?. As per admars it is used by a older person who knows how to use it and doesn`t like changing things. I dont want to lumber her with a old slow TIVO.
trueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 14:28   #49
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblood View Post
Thanks spider,the problem was that i could not change my bundle without having the V+ removed. Is this correct?. As per OP it is used by a older person who knows how to use it and doesn`t like changing things. I dont want to lumber her with a old slow TIVO.
All current bundle deals require the primary box to be either a TiVo or V6 box.

If the account doesn't already have one of those they will be required to change to one - no matter what type of box they currently have. But if the V+ HD box is an additional box, there is no current requirement to swap it.

That's been the case for around 2 years now, so it's not connected to this direct, but is part of the overall aim of getting rid of all V / V HD and V+ HD boxes from the network eventually.
Old 31-05-2018, 14:48   #50
trueblood
cf.member

Services: TV XL Phone M BB XL 200 MB V6 x 2
trueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enough

Thanks Ben, i have had the V+ and TIVO since i could and added a V6 last year. I just wanted to remove the TIVO but keep the V+, but the agent said i had to remove V+ for the change of bundle to go through.
trueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 23:29   #51
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

@CheekyAngus
thanks - as you suggested, keeping it simple worked, he suggested removing one VCR to make it simple

TIVO box to TV via HDMI
TIVO to VCR Via Scart
VCR (DVD combi) to TV VIA scart

so he can watch videos and DVDs and Virgin TV
most importantly for him he can record from the TIVO to VCR!

I recorded the Pompei programmes the other day for him, and he had told me he knew it was recording as he had noticed the red light come on on the tivo box. so went through watching them with him, so he's going to give it a go tomorrow, and put them on a 3hr tape I did tell him again he has plenty of room so can keep them on the box.

I must have been getting the V+ and TIVO boxes confused where you had to do a special menu option to backup to tape. i'll have to look at backing up some of the kids' tv shows i've got on my tivo.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 00:31   #52
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
@CheekyAngus
thanks - as you suggested, keeping it simple worked, he suggested removing one VCR to make it simple

TIVO box to TV via HDMI
TIVO to VCR Via Scart

I recorded the Pompei programmes the other day for him, and he had told me he knew it was recording as he had noticed the red light come on on the tivo box. so went through watching them with him, so he's going to give it a go tomorrow, and put them on a 3hr tape I did tell him again he has plenty of room so can keep them on the box.

I must have been getting the V+ and TIVO boxes confused where you had to do a special menu option to backup to tape. i'll have to look at backing up some of the kids' tv shows i've got on my tivo.
Great. And he must have noticed the HD picture quality now he had HDMI on his LCD?
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 14:28   #53
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l will trump you all as don't you remember the box on the wall which was the start of cable..

Attachment 27418
I used to work for Rediffusion.Their cable service ended in 1985ish when Granada bought them out.

Robert Maxwell bought the cable network to start his own cable company. Luckily he didn't get his hands on the pension scheme as well.

Last edited by multiskilled; 03-06-2018 at 14:40.
multiskilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 14:53   #54
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

In Oxford, Radio Oxford was on Redifusion Channel A - it was mentioned in their jingle at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiskilled View Post
I used to work for Rediffusion.Their cable service ended in 1985ish when Granada bought them out.

Robert Maxwell bought the cable network to start his own cable company. Luckily he didn't get his hands on the pension scheme as well.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 16:52   #55
Hymagumba
Inactive

Hymagumba is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
@CheekyAngus

TIVO box to TV via HDMI
TIVO to VCR Via Scart

I'm all for updates on your neighbour's experience. I love stories like this
Hymagumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 23:42   #56
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media UK to axe Vt Boxes from August

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hymagumba View Post
I'm all for updates on your neighbour's experience. I love stories like this
if you've got enough time you're welcome to go round to his and listen to him

he caught me this morning, and says he can't remember how to watch things on the TIVO box, but not to worry as he's happy watching them on video, which means he's probably doing what he did before, watching the tv set to the AV the VCR is on, which is set to the cable box, rather than using the shiny new HDMI lead!

you can't teach a dog new tricks, main thing is, as I said before he's happy, and I bet next time I go round there, and put it on HDMI for him he won't notice the difference, and will be confused why the video plays but he can't see it
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 18:19   #57
TheWatcher
cf.member

Services: M125 BB, Anytime Chatter, V6 (Maxit TV)
TheWatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

So, just to be clear, the only boxes left on the network after August will be the:

V+
Tivo
V6

Is this correct?
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 18:50   #58
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from TheWatcher:

So, just to be clear, the only boxes left on the network after August will be the:

V+
Tivo
V6

Is this correct?
Add the Cisco Vbox HD (non recording) and you're correct.
Old 25-06-2018, 14:47   #59
TheWatcher
cf.member

Services: M125 BB, Anytime Chatter, V6 (Maxit TV)
TheWatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Add the Cisco Vbox HD (non recording) and you're correct.
Surprised that they're not getting rid of the Cisco, given that the boxes that are being removed are also non recording.

Is it just because the Cisco is HD?
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 14:56   #60
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Quote from TheWatcher:

Is it just because the Cisco is HD?
It's not so much that it's HD but that it supports the MPEG4 streams that VM is switching all the channels over to eventually. The better codec (H264 I Think) will allow for more content and/or better PQ.

It also has the incidental advantage of a down scaled SCART socket output so I can used my DVD/HDD recorder and the modulator.

We never seem to need to record much content so a TIVO or V6 is of limited interest.