Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 29-09-2018, 23:32   #8626
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
I would be quite happy for all football to go down the streaming only route, particularly the Premier League.

The whole punditry circus and fluff show that surrounds the current linear tv model is completely unnecessary imho and the fact that the likes of Shearer, Lineker et al are paid a small fortune for providing what's no more than meaningless filler at the expense of the licence payer (or subscriber) is unpalatable to say the least.
Well I certainly would not, live streaming of football matches has to be proven. Far to many problems at the moment as with other live streaming of sport.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2018, 00:45   #8627
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Well I certainly would not, live streaming of football matches has to be proven. Far to many problems at the moment as with other live streaming of sport.
It won’t be long before those problems are resolved. Once these obstacles have been overcome, there will not be any reasons left for shunning live streaming.

ITV Box Office is really not a good example of how live streaming should be, I think we can all agree on that!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 04:48   #8628
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Has anything been published in regards to the success of bbc three since it closed as a linear channel and moved to streaming? This would be the best measuring stick possible. A channel who's demographic is millenials. Did it become more popular? Did it get more views?
Of course it did in in someone's great imaginary streaming world where Linear is dead and streaming is king.

---------- Post added at 04:47 ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I would imagine it would be disappointing as there is not much to promote it, at least that I have seen.

That doesn't mean by any legitimate construction, that streaming will not be a success.
As usual your answer changes with every post..

---------- Post added at 04:48 ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
And that will still be the same many years down the road IMO.
Old 30-09-2018, 12:31   #8629
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Sky Sports Racing will be the exclusive pay TV broadcast home of French racing in the UK and Ireland for three years from January 1st 2019, At The Races and PMU announced on Wednesday.
https://www.skysports.com/racing/new...n-from-january
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 12:53   #8630
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
It won’t be long before those problems are resolved. Once these obstacles have been overcome, there will not be any reasons left for shunning live streaming.

ITV Box Office is really not a good example of how live streaming should be, I think we can all agree on that!
When they sort all the problems fine, but I am not sure it will be anytime soon. Game Pass from NFL is still having problems 10 years or more since it started
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 13:49   #8631
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Next will be the main UK terrestrial rights which are owned by ITV currently.
Old 30-09-2018, 13:54   #8632
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Had a play around with Eleven Sports yesterday on the iPad trying to get it working with Chromecast for the Juve game and I had to install the iOS app because the casting icon wasn't appearing on the Safari browser.

Lo and behold if you use the app there are full games available on demand as opposed to the website where you only appear to have canned highlights available after the event.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 22:58   #8633
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I would be quite happy for all football to go down the streaming only route, particularly the Premier League.

The whole punditry circus and fluff show that surrounds the current linear tv model is completely unnecessary imho and the fact that the likes of Shearer, Lineker et al are paid a small fortune for providing what's no more than meaningless filler at the expense of the licence payer (or subscriber) is unpalatable to say the least.
Don't watch it then - record the broadcast abandoned start watching 20 mins after kick-off, FF thrum the half time ignore everything but the match.

Thus is what I do.

If streaming us as people describe 11 Sports then I wouldn't watch it, however much it cost!

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

Quote:
Had a play around with Eleven Sports yesterday on the iPad trying to get it working with Chromecast for the Juve game and I had to install the iOS app because the casting icon wasn't appearing on the Safari browser.

Lo and behold if you use the app there are full games available on demand as opposed to the website where you only appear to have canned highlights available after the event.

Are you saying you could come in on Saturday evening and watch any of the matches streamed live earlier in the day in HD quality and full length not highlights?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:36   #8634
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

Are you saying you could come in on Saturday evening and watch any of the matches streamed live earlier in the day in HD quality and full length not highlights?
Yes. Screenshot below along the bottom. There’s 3 weeks of games to watch in that scrolling list. You Only get the full game replays in the app though, not on the website.

BCB23745-25EC-491F-B325-4DEC8DC6948A.jpg

Forgot to mention: No Eredivisie games on replay which is a shame.

Last edited by Uncle Peter; 04-10-2018 at 10:40.
Old 05-10-2018, 23:04   #8635
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Yes. Screenshot below along the bottom. There’s 3 weeks of games to watch in that scrolling list. You Only get the full game replays in the app though, not on the website.

Attachment 27559

Forgot to mention: No Eredivisie games on replay which is a shame.
I see the list of games, but are they in HD quality?

You say they are only available on the App - is it possible to get this on your tv? Thru virgin?

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

Quote:

Define 'won't be long' please
Old 05-10-2018, 23:49   #8636
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

You say they are only available on the App - is it possible to get this on your tv? Thru virgin?

Define 'won't be long' please
Well, how can I, any more than anyone else, answer that question with any precision?

All I can say is that in about 15 years’ time, streaming services will have largely taken over from traditional linear channels.

It is ridiculous to try to define a specific timeline. Your guess is as good as mine.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 23:59   #8637
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:

No I don't think it looks HD quality, more like 720p to me. 50 quid for the year for a ton of games isn't bad though.

Unfortunately there's no app for Smart TV yet. The screenshot is of the iOS app which you can stream to Chromecast.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:25   #8638
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No I don't think it looks HD quality, more like 720p to me. 50 quid for the year for a ton of games isn't bad though.

Unfortunately there's no app for Smart TV yet. The screenshot is of the iOS app which you can stream to Chromecast.
Thanks for the replies, whilst it sounds good value, I have never really watched any of those leagues when included in my sky package so am very unlikely to pay extra now to watch them.
Old 06-10-2018, 17:33   #8639
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Telegraph article (registration required) says Eleven Sports could be close to securing a deal with Virgin

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ort-heads-top/

Quote:
Eleven’s only way to recoup its investment is by selling streaming subscriptions direct to consumers, and its rivals at BT and Sky are, for now, happy to keep it that way.

A boost may be imminent. It is understood Virgin Media is close to agreeing terms to offer Eleven as part of its pay-TV packages.

The UFC’s lucrative pay-per-view fights could be the key to distribution deals with BT and Sky. “We are not without leverage,” says Watson. “We are not some little guy fighting to succeed.”
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 17:47   #8640
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Speaking personally I would like to have Eleven Sports as part of my Sky Sports sub BUT I would not pay any amount of money as a stand alone channel because they're just not offering enough of what I like. I sub for BT Sports because I want to see English Premier league games,FA Cup games and Champions League games.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote