Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 11:48   #2341
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Nice to see my updates making it onto other forums that, ironically, those posting them made the effort to get me removed.

Is the V+ sound drop out on the MPEG 4 SD channels more or less frequent than on the HD ones? Really I’m asking if it’s a new problem are just an extension of the old one.
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2018, 23:10   #2342
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
WOW You’re making it worse.
So, not 20 3 hour sports matches over 8 days, let’s say 24, given extra sport and some in HD.
You’ll watch it all when you come back?
I think you’re now desperately trying to justify your assertion that 1TB is not enough and failing!
Yes I will, probably over the coming week.

Not failing at all in my opinion which I have - you obviously do not share that view and are denigrating my replies to suit your own opinions.

By the way others have also posted that the disk size is inadequate.

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Unless he just fast forwards to the bits he wants to see, and then deletes. I don't know how he also has time to post on cable forum, though!

I suppose remote in one hand and keying in with the left....
No watch in normal speed.

Plenty of time to post as I was on holiday last week - try to keep up.

I can multitask so not as difficult as you seem to think.
Old 05-10-2018, 23:55   #2343
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Yes I will, probably over the coming week.

Not failing at all in my opinion which I have - you obviously do not share that view and are denigrating my replies to suit your own opinions.

By the way others have also posted that the disk size is inadequate.

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

No watch in normal speed.

Plenty of time to post as I was on holiday last week - try to keep up.

I can multitask so not as difficult as you seem to think.
You must be cross-eyed by now.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:34   #2344
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Raider999 can you let us know if the V6 recalculates percentages as you add recordings.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:29   #2345
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Raider999 can you let us know if the V6 recalculates percentages as you add recordings.

As previously stated, I was away for the week so cannot do that.

I did note that, despite everything recording, I ended up with more free space than expected.

I believe this is probably rounding when calculating how much space was released upon deleting a HD recording, it usually gives me an extra 2% free space - this of course may have been 1.6%?
Old 06-10-2018, 14:02   #2346
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

If you really to know how much space UHD recording takes, make a very long manual recording (maybe 20 hours). Then delete it and see how much the gauge goes up by.
Old 06-10-2018, 19:35   #2347
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
If you really to know how much space UHD recording takes, make a very long manual recording (maybe 20 hours). Then delete it and see how much the gauge goes up by.
In progress
Old 07-10-2018, 06:37   #2348
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
BT Sport 4K is broadcasting at fixed bitrate 27.1Mb/sec or 3.38 MB/sec. A two hour broadcast would be 24.34 gigabytes.
A 12 hour manual recording on BT Sport 4K uses 16% on my V6 (reporting as 139.86 GB).

Last edited by jfman; 07-10-2018 at 06:50.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:17   #2349
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
A 12 hour manual recording on BT Sport 4K uses 16% on my V6 (reporting as 139.86 GB).
So that indicates each hour long UHD programme taking up 1.3% of recording space.

Wow, you won't get many UHD recordings on a 1TB box for that. This is why I thought all UHD material would be on demand or we'd have access to cloud 'recording'.

A bit of a disappointment really, but not unexpected.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37   #2350
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Perhaps Virgin should be planning for a 5TB box..
Old 07-10-2018, 11:25   #2351
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
So that indicates each hour long UHD programme taking up 1.3% of recording space.

Wow, you won't get many UHD recordings on a 1TB box for that. This is why I thought all UHD material would be on demand or we'd have access to cloud 'recording'.

A bit of a disappointment really, but not unexpected.
Well what we don’t know is what plans are longer term - in practice a variable bitrate will be deployed at some point averaging a lower bitrate and that could give efficiencies of 20-30% reducing the recording space. Streaming services use a lower bitrate than VM.
Old 07-10-2018, 20:40   #2352
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Wow, you won't get many UHD recordings on a 1TB box for that.
75 hours. How much timeshifting do you want to do???
Old 07-10-2018, 21:06   #2353
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I'm not sure I had 25 E180 tapes back in the day. That said there was the glorious 'long play' to extend it.
Old 07-10-2018, 21:20   #2354
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It appears to recalculate the free space every time a recording starts, adding it's expected amount to the total used.
Old 08-10-2018, 14:00   #2355
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
75 hours. How much timeshifting do you want to do???
It's not a lot, Spider. 75 hours equates to just over four series of 16 programmes each.

If they expected us to record so little, why did they increase the number of tuners on the V6?

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

Quote:
Well what we don’t know is what plans are longer term - in practice a variable bitrate will be deployed at some point averaging a lower bitrate and that could give efficiencies of 20-30% reducing the recording space. Streaming services use a lower bitrate than VM.
I do hope that things will improve longer term, but we are talking about the here and now. What are we supposed to do in the meantime? Such limited ability to record is counter to the way the Tivo and V6 have been promoted.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

Quote:
I'm not sure I had 25 E180 tapes back in the day. That said there was the glorious 'long play' to extend it.
I had about 50, mostly 4-hour tapes, and it was never enough.

I've got it about right now with two V6s and a video recorder which can record up to 500 hours in HD. With the additional 240 hours of HD recordings on the V6s, that just about satisfies my requirements.
Closed Thread