Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future of television

Old 11-02-2024, 10:33   #796
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

If you can’t see the obvious contradiction between streaming being “the future” and some of the biggest names in broadcasting maintaining a linear presence on their own yet-to-launch app then I can’t help you.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2024, 11:11   #797
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If you can’t see the obvious contradiction between streaming being “the future” and some of the biggest names in broadcasting maintaining a linear presence on their own yet-to-launch app then I can’t help you.
Do you not understand the need for transitional periods?

Never mind, the future will take care of itself.
Old 11-02-2024, 12:08   #798
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Do you not understand the need for transitional periods?

Never mind, the future will take care of itself.
Why do they need a transitional period? This is the transition from broadcast to IP. If not now, when?

Time to let streaming stand in its own two feet and let the viewer decide with their wallet.
Old 11-02-2024, 13:19   #799
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Time to let streaming stand in its own two feet and let the viewer decide with their wallet.
Great idea, the TV License fee could be scrapped and the BBC stand on its own 2 feet. Let the viewer decide.

I'm behind this 100%.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 13:26   #800
jfman
Architect of Ideas

The politicians will never cull the state propaganda machine.
Old 11-02-2024, 16:41   #801
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Why do they need a transitional period? This is the transition from broadcast to IP. If not now, when?

Strange question. You are normally the first person to state that broadband has not fully rolled out. But there’s your reason why we need a transitional period. Simples.
Old 11-02-2024, 19:10   #802
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Strange question. You are normally the first person to state that broadband has not fully rolled out. But there’s your reason why we need a transitional period. Simples.
But it’s on an app - the broadband issue isn’t relevant for an end user once they are already online and able to stream video. Why maintain linear channels on this new super streaming sports app? Unless….

Last edited by jfman; 11-02-2024 at 19:14.
Old 11-02-2024, 19:20   #803
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband.shtml

Quote:
As of January 2024 around 99.15% of the country can access a "decent broadband" (10Mbps+) connection and 97.81% can recieve a "superfast" connection (30Mbps+), while "gigabit-capable" (1Gbps+) networks are on 79.86% and pure "full fibre" networks are a long way behind, but gaining fast, on 60.54%.
Are you saying that we have to wait for the 2.19% of the U.K. population who have Broadband speeds of less than 30Mb/s before the transitional period is ended?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 20:32   #804
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband.shtml

Are you saying that we have to wait for the 2.19% of the U.K. population who have Broadband speeds of less than 30Mb/s before the transitional period is ended?
Not my decision, old chap. We should perhaps wait for habits to change and possibly for more people to purchase smart TVs, although of course we all know on here there are workarounds using an HDMI socket.

Good to know that the predictions from some quarters on here about the broadband rollout not being implemented by 2025 have proved to be somewhat removed from the reality we are now experiencing.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Quote:
But it’s on an app - the broadband issue isn’t relevant for an end user once they are already online and able to stream video. Why maintain linear channels on this new super streaming sports app? Unless….
Try explaining that to those who are not as tech savvy as you, jfman. Why don’t you try it out on your granny?
Old 11-02-2024, 20:56   #805
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Try explaining that to those who are not as tech savvy as you, jfman. Why don’t you try it out on your granny?
Considering we buried her the day Princess Diana crashed in Paris that would be somewhat challenging.

You do raise an interesting point though, I’d hypothesise in her later years using apps at all would have been almost impossible, linear channels or otherwise. No internet in her household (it was the 90s, after all), in fact only got a landline in the final few years for emergencies.

She got on just fine with 1-4 and Sky, until Channel 5 launched on UHF 37 and messed up the VCR.

My guess would be as people live longer with deteriorating health issues (such as dementia) a simple interface will be essential for any hypothetical “streaming” future. So primitive it will be linear over IP, with on demand and app menus. Like a Sky or Virgin interface now. If it ain’t broke and all that.
Old 14-02-2024, 20:57   #806
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
So 9 channels Ive never even heard of have dropped from a system I've never used. Ok.

The only thing in that article that remotely bothers me is the loss of Sky Satellite.
Sky Stream is not a suitable replacement unless they build in a recording or download system.
The mangled method they use atm is just bad, not to mention my TV still works when the internet fails.
I'm utterly pissed off that I can't record on Stream.

As I said on this site somewhere a few years ago, I was suspicious that all this new fangled streaming was simply bookmarks on servers to ondemand shows and that's exactly what Sky Stream is. I hate it.

Once we lose our conventional linear tv system, we'll never get it back and all the power won from the days of the wars over recording onto VHS will be lost to the American tech giants aka New Hollywood.

And my tv doesn't work when the internet fails, nor does my phone. But hey, that's progress...
Old 14-02-2024, 21:10   #807
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I'm utterly pissed off that I can't record on Stream.

As I said on this site somewhere a few years ago, I was suspicious that all this new fangled streaming was simply bookmarks on servers to ondemand shows and that's exactly what Sky Stream is. I hate it.

Once we lose our conventional linear tv system, we'll never get it back and all the power won from the days of the wars over recording onto VHS will be lost to the American tech giants aka New Hollywood.

And my tv doesn't work when the internet fails, nor does my phone. But hey, that's progress...
Transmitter faults were a thing back in the good old days Things were also more likely to go wrong at the play out suite back in the day as well. It’s exceptionally rare these days but the card with ‘TEMPORARY FAULT’ broadcast with easy-listening muzak was far from uncommon on our screens.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2024, 23:32   #808
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Interesting! Particularly the stat about 31% of 65+ age range not using the Internet at home. To me, the main benefit of an Internet TV service is dispensing with the need for another cable so that TVs just need to be located near a power socket.
Quote:
End of Freeview? UK not ready for online-only TV, according to EY report

Moving to streaming reduces the cost for broadcasters, as they no longer have to pay for expensive terrestrial TV distribution and can dispense of satellite transponder contracts. Streaming allows them to acquire user data and analytics, which can be used to monetise services or sold to third-parties.

But a report from consultancy firm EY says the UK isn’t ready to adopt online-only TV. It has highlighted barriers that stop broadband internet becoming the universal method of accessing TV.

The report predicts that 5.5 million UK premises (18% of homes) will still be without access to high-speed broadband by 2040. That’s despite the Government’s commitment to 99% broadband covering by 2030.

The regions and nations where homes are most likely to be without a high-speed connection by 2040 are Northern Ireland (24% of homes), North East England (21%), Yorkshire and the Humber (20%), North West England (19%), Scotland (19%) and Wales (19%).

The reasons for the lack of connection include no connection available and cost of service. This, according to the report, will affect elderly, disabled and low-income viewers.

Among elderly users, currently 31% of over 65s don’t use the internet at home.

Broadcast 2040+, which is campaigning to keep TV and radio services on the airwaves, has called on the Government to take steps to safeguard broadcasts.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/end-of-fre...ing-to-report/
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2024, 23:47   #809
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Transmitter faults were a thing back in the good old days Things were also more likely to go wrong at the play out suite back in the day as well. It’s exceptionally rare these days but the card with ‘TEMPORARY FAULT’ broadcast with easy-listening muzak was far from uncommon on our screens.
True and even in more recent history, I couldn't receive Ch5 very well down an aerial. It was either get it via cable or sat.

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Interesting! Particularly the stat about 31% of 65+ age range not using the Internet at home. To me, the main benefit of an Internet TV service is dispensing with the need for another cable so that TVs just need to be located near a power socket.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/end-of-fre...ing-to-report/
To put it crudely, they'll all die off and that problem will then resolve itself, although for those poorer, there would need to be some benefits package to subsidise a broadband connection.

And talking of getting rid of cables, I came across a gadget I had never heard of before, a wireless HDMI transmitter. That solves the issue of using one STB on multiple tvs, as but one use of it.
Old 15-02-2024, 02:43   #810
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
What is your take on this, then, jfman? If this becomes the norm, it will please people like you (if it’s even possible to please you) because the consumer would only have to subscribe to one streamer to access all the sports.

It could catch on!

https://advanced-television.com/2024...orts-platform/

. ESPN, a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, Fox and Warner Bros Discovery have agreed principal terms to form a new Joint Venture (JV) to build a platform to house a streaming sports service in the US.

The platform will bring together the companies’ portfolios of sports networks, certain direct-to-consumer (DTC) sports services and sports rights – including content from all the major professional sports leagues and college sports. The formation of the pay service is subject to the negotiation of definitive agreements amongst the parties. The offering, scheduled to launch inautumn 2024, would be made available directly to consumers via a new app. Subscribers would also have the ability to bundle the product, including with Disney+, Hulu and/or Max.
If Disney, Fox and Warner Bros Discovery own it.

Who gets the extra 1%?
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote