Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 15-04-2013, 14:10   #871
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Some interesting media analysis here on the ongoing spat.

http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2013/...sky-round-one/

http://mediaweek.co.uk/channel/Telev...ble-standards/
Old 15-04-2013, 14:48   #872
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
My own hunch is l think VM will make a deal with BT.
Can't see Bt willing to do that. Why strengthen a rival platforms tv service?

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
"The satellite broadcaster currently sells its Sky Sports 1 and 2 channels to customers of other broadcasters, such as TalkTalk and Virgin Media, as well as BT’s Vision service. However, a recent competition ruling means that Sky is now not required to offer Sky Sports to other broadcasters, and in the face of an increasing threat from BT, it could choose to stop selling the channels."

I didn't know this. Didn't I read recently that SKY are stalling talks with Virgin in regards to a new carriage deal for SKY Sports until they know what kind of deal BT agree with Virgin?

Just think of the potential ramifications. If BT and Sky don’t agree a mutually acceptable deal, SKY could very well pull SKY Sports off the BT platform. If BT and Virgin agree a deal for BT sports to go into the XL package, SKY could pull SKY Sports off the Virgin platform. That would mean the only place to get all football fixtures would be SKY as BT have already confirmed their channels will definitely be on the SKY platform.

Whilst people might suggest SKY will never do this due to lost revenue, I think it’s a real possibility. SKY could offer SKY Sports directly to BT customers via NOW TV. SKY could also restructure their pricing for SKY Sports to attract customers from both BT and Virgin.
Sky couldn't afford to do what you're proposing I don't think.
They have paid well over what they would normally have paid. They will have lost significant profits and they will need to recover that overspend and they can't exactly whack the prices up to an unacceptable level because the majority of people just wouldn't pay it.

The pricing model for Now tv for PL football is a complete rip off.
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 14:57   #873
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
Because BT don't have full Sky Sports so there is no chance in hell of sports fans switching from Virgin TV to BT Vision, so leaving it off Virgin means they would miss out on 3 million possible subscriptions, something they can't afford.
Old 15-04-2013, 15:02   #874
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Because BT don't have full Sky Sports so there is no chance in hell of sports fans switching from Virgin TV to BT Vision, so leaving it off Virgin means they would miss out on 3 million possible subscriptions, something they can't afford.
Exactly right. Had Bt won all the rights they wanted then sport fans would have signed up from both Sky and Virgin, but they didn't.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 15:29   #875
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Not paid for Sky Sports for years, yet still manage to watch the matches I want and Saturday 3PM games too.
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 15:51   #876
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
And yet some people still don't believe that Sky have effectively prevented VM from getting Sky Atlantic,
Indeed as there's nothing like The blind leading the blind.
Old 15-04-2013, 15:55   #877
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
Not paid for Sky Sports for years, yet still manage to watch the matches I want and Saturday 3PM games too.
I bet you don't go to the cinema or buy DVDs either?
Old 15-04-2013, 15:57   #878
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Indeed as there's nothing like The blind leading the blind.
I saw See no Evil, Hear no Evil yesterday ON 5*.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 18:19   #879
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
"The satellite broadcaster currently sells its Sky Sports 1 and 2 channels to customers of other broadcasters, such as TalkTalk and Virgin Media, as well as BT’s Vision service. However, a recent competition ruling means that Sky is now not required to offer Sky Sports to other broadcasters, and in the face of an increasing threat from BT, it could choose to stop selling the channels."

I didn't know this. Didn't I read recently that SKY are stalling talks with Virgin in regards to a new carriage deal for SKY Sports until they know what kind of deal BT agree with Virgin?

Just think of the potential ramifications. If BT and Sky don’t agree a mutually acceptable deal, SKY could very well pull SKY Sports off the BT platform. If BT and Virgin agree a deal for BT sports to go into the XL package, SKY could pull SKY Sports off the Virgin platform. That would mean the only place to get all football fixtures would be SKY as BT have already confirmed their channels will definitely be on the SKY platform.

Whilst people might suggest SKY will never do this due to lost revenue, I think it’s a real possibility. SKY could offer SKY Sports directly to BT customers via NOW TV. SKY could also restructure their pricing for SKY Sports to attract customers from both BT and Virgin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Sky couldn't afford to do what you're proposing I don't think.
They have paid well over what they would normally have paid. They will have lost significant profits and they will need to recover that overspend and they can't exactly whack the prices up to an unacceptable level because the majority of people just wouldn't pay it.

The pricing model for Now tv for PL football is a complete rip off.
I think the article I quoted have it wrong. Surely SKY must still have to wholesale SKY Sports 1 and 2.

I still think Virgin are still caught in the middle of the battle between SKY and BT. SKY are holding out from negotiating a new carriage with Virgin, for SKY Sports, until they see what deal BT and Virgin agree for the BT Sports channels. If BT Sports go into the XL package, and SKY can't agree a similar wholesale deal with BT, I can see the following happening:

1. SKY Sports 3 & 4 being withheld from Virgin and BT
2. SKY Sports 1 & 2 HD being withheld from Virgin
3. A sudden hike in the wholesale price for SKY Sports 1 & 2

SKY have already confirmed they do not rely on advertising revenue so SKY Sports 3 & 4 being withheld from Virgin would not be a big loss. Whilst there would be a dip in revenue coming in via Virgin due to witholding channels, SKY could easily make up the shortfall by attracting new customers with half price offers and being able to advertise they are the only platform in the UK to carry all SKY Sports channels and all BT Sports channels.

We've seen SKY making decisions that people didn't think possible, or reasonable, in the past. The SKY basic channels being withdrawn from Virgin for 18 months, SKY Sports News being taken off freeview and put behind a paywall and if you beleive what you read SKY Atlantic being withheld even thought other TV providers are making good offers for the channel. If SKY can't get the deal they want from BT, I think the ramifications for everyone else could be grim.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 18:42   #880
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
I think the article I quoted have it wrong. Surely SKY must still have to wholesale SKY Sports 1 and 2.

I still think Virgin are still caught in the middle of the battle between SKY and BT. SKY are holding out from negotiating a new carriage with Virgin, for SKY Sports, until they see what deal BT and Virgin agree for the BT Sports channels. If BT Sports go into the XL package, and SKY can't agree a similar wholesale deal with BT, I can see the following happening:

1. SKY Sports 3 & 4 being withheld from Virgin and BT
2. SKY Sports 1 & 2 HD being withheld from Virgin
3. A sudden hike in the wholesale price for SKY Sports 1 & 2

SKY have already confirmed they do not rely on advertising revenue so SKY Sports 3 & 4 being withheld from Virgin would not be a big loss. Whilst there would be a dip in revenue coming in via Virgin due to witholding channels, SKY could easily make up the shortfall by attracting new customers with half price offers and being able to advertise they are the only platform in the UK to carry all SKY Sports channels and all BT Sports channels.

We've seen SKY making decisions that people didn't think possible, or reasonable, in the past. The SKY basic channels being withdrawn from Virgin for 18 months, SKY Sports News being taken off freeview and put behind a paywall and if you beleive what you read SKY Atlantic being withheld even thought other TV providers are making good offers for the channel. If SKY can't get the deal they want from BT, I think the ramifications for everyone else could be grim.
And if any of the above named happens then Sky will be signing a death warrant in respect of their whole reputation which increasingly to a lot of people is that of a greedy immoral moneygrabbing offshoot reminiscent of Murdoch's nefarious and insidious empire.
Old 15-04-2013, 18:42   #881
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

If Sky Sports 3&4 are withdrawn from Virgin, we will leave for Sky. Golf is constantly on 3 and 4 apart from majors. plus champions league.

As it stands golf not being in hd b/c it's on 3 or 4 is annoying, not to get it at all would be poor.

Glad we are not bound to contract now and have a 1 month get out. defo not committing to new deal until rights deals sorted.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 18:44   #882
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
And if any of the above named happens then Sky will be signing a death warrant in respect of their whole reputation which increasingly to a lot of people is that of a greedy immoral moneygrabbing offshoot reminiscent of Murdoch's nefarious and insidious empire.
lol..you never thought much of sky..so not much can change
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 18:57   #883
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Sky have done some excellent things in the last 20 years but if they were to take the steps that Chad speculates about then for many people this will further dent their increasingly tattered reputation and further on will put off a lot of people from never ever subscribing again to their premium channels.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
The master certainly has some loyal servants but l suppose its the case of the blind leading the blind one suspects.
Old 15-04-2013, 19:05   #884
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I don't think SKY will care at all. They've shown before with the SKY basic situation that they are prepared to take a massive hit on their reputation to try and secure their business position. The only people who would really lose respect in SKY would be those effected if SKY choose to withhold channels. How many people subscribe to SKY Sports via BT and Virgin? 1 million? 1.5 million? When SKY pulled SKY basics in 2007, 3.3 million Virgin subscribers where effected. SKY potentially witholding the likes of SKY Sports 1 & 2 HD and SKY Sports 3 & 4 doesn't even come close to what they did with SKY basics 6 years ago.

SKY have form. I think there might be some massive changes in sports packages accross all providers in the next 3 to 4 months.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 19:07   #885
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
and if you beleive what you read SKY Atlantic being withheld even thought other TV providers are making good offers for the channel..
Yes Sky already have a solution to stop BT advertising on Sky sports channels; make the cost so prohibitively high that BT wouldn't pay it. That way they can say they will take BT advertising, but know it will never happen. That strategy worked to prevent any other provider from getting Atlantic. Someone at Sky must be asleep to have missed that trick
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote